Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most underrated classic rock band? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Cult.

The Rain is another good tune.

Only achieved slight fame when their music showed up in GTA... other than that, they haven't got the recognition they deserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    The Cult.

The Rain is another good tune.

Only achieved slight fame when their music showed up in GTA... other than that, they haven't got the recognition they deserve.
    Love this song!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    The Cult.
    Disagree. The Cult have been well known within rock circles for decades. She Sells Sanctuary reached #15 in the charts at the time, I seriously doubt that any bands reminiscent of them would reach so high these days due to the over-saturation of generic pop music that's been produced. Although I guess I can see where you're coming from if you're using mainstream recognition as a basis.

I'll agree with you on them not having the recognition they deserve though.

Vain. Most people have no idea how they are, but No Respect is one of my all-time favourite albums. Guitar and drum work is tight, and the vocalist has a great voice.

REO Speedwagon. Most people would probably recognise at least one song of theirs, but they're often overlooked in favour of other bands despite the great guitar work. The outro on this track is sex in music form.

Black Sabbath (Dio-era). If you said Black Sabbath to someone, they'd immediately think Ozzy-era. Can't really blame them, that is the classic BS line-up. But as a result, the Dio-era is often overlooked.

George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers. Probably most well-known for either Bad To The Bone, or One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer, but most won't bother to delve deeper into their catalogue.

Warrant. Everyone knows Cherry Pie, but that's about all they know.

Love/Hate. Most people these days have at least heard of Steel Panther, which is strange as glam died a death long ago yet seems to be enjoying a resurgence in the form of SP. However, these guys (and many others) were doing it way before, and arguably better, than SP are.

Tesla should probably get a mention too. Just because. Also, I'm fairly sure they've put a new album out recently.

Cinderella. Dudes wear more make-up than most chicks I know. Perm their hair better too. Great music though.

Rory Gallagher. Getting away from glam now. Seriously under-rated guitarist who, much like Stevie Ray Vaughn, was influenced by Hendrix.

Marillion. Classic line-up (with Fish) was stuff even my old man could get into, and he hates prog with a passion. Most people who write love songs these days can't even get close to the brilliance of the lyrical genius that is Fish.

I should probably include Jethro Tull in this list, but I can't bring myself to do so as I really don't get on with their music. Too folk-y.

Most of the above bands are well known within rock circles, but you never hear much of them outside of those circles.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.