Turn on thread page Beta

Anxiety and University- the importance of speaking out! watch

Announcements

I'm really hoping this helps someone in a similar situation as i regret not speaking out in university! If you have any issues regarding the title, let's make this a safe place to discuss them! I'm a volunteer for various charities and below here's a little about my self! Let's help each other help ourselves! :

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place but here goes: So I'm applying for the PA course in Wales. Although i achieved a 2:1 in my biomedicine degree (Anatomy), i'm wondering if i should bring up the following issues to someone. So i've always been a high achiever, gaining the top student award in my sixth form and achieving a merit in my 1st year of university. However in 2nd year, I developed generalised anxiety disorder, where i couldn't go to my dissections some days because of fear and a few days before my exams started in year 3 i had my first panic attack where I was taken to hospital as I'd never had anything like that before! Constant negative thinking and overthinking too! I never mentioned any of this to my university or my doctor, mostly because the personal tutor system had broken down and i was left without one and if i'm honest i didn't want to bother anyone with my issues or have anxiety put down on record- in the fear it may affect my future career choice. I kept saying people deal with worse than this and never complain or talk to people. However, the condition i had seriously disrupted my university experience. I am glad to say that from exercising and CBT that i am back to 'normal', and i'm eager to make something of myself in this career, with my positive can do attitude back. I have come to terms with the fact i got a 2:1 and not the 1st i know i was capable of. I know this is the perfect career fit for me combining my caring nature and my interest in medicine.

I just can't help but think, if i'd have said something at the time i would have got a 1st but i was too afraid to speak out! I guess i hope to provide a listening ear for patients and make sure i can help with any physicial and mental issues they may be dealing with, as i know too well how alone young people and older people can feel! I am currently volunteering with families of premature babies on neonatal units and with vulnerable elderly individuals. Thank's guys!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm really hoping this helps someone in a similar situation as i regret not speaking out in university! If you have any issues regarding the title, let's make this a safe place to discuss them! I'm a volunteer for various charities and below here's a little about my self! Let's help each other help ourselves! :

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right place but here goes: So I'm applying for the PA course in Wales. Although i achieved a 2:1 in my biomedicine degree (Anatomy), i'm wondering if i should bring up the following issues to someone. So i've always been a high achiever, gaining the top student award in my sixth form and achieving a merit in my 1st year of university. However in 2nd year, I developed generalised anxiety disorder, where i couldn't go to my dissections some days because of fear and a few days before my exams started in year 3 i had my first panic attack where I was taken to hospital as I'd never had anything like that before! Constant negative thinking and overthinking too! I never mentioned any of this to my university or my doctor, mostly because the personal tutor system had broken down and i was left without one and if i'm honest i didn't want to bother anyone with my issues or have anxiety put down on record- in the fear it may affect my future career choice. I kept saying people deal with worse than this and never complain or talk to people. However, the condition i had seriously disrupted my university experience. I am glad to say that from exercising and CBT that i am back to 'normal', and i'm eager to make something of myself in this career, with my positive can do attitude back. I have come to terms with the fact i got a 2:1 and not the 1st i know i was capable of. I know this is the perfect career fit for me combining my caring nature and my interest in medicine.

I just can't help but think, if i'd have said something at the time i would have got a 1st but i was too afraid to speak out! I guess i hope to provide a listening ear for patients and make sure i can help with any physicial and mental issues they may be dealing with, as i know too well how alone young people and older people can feel! I am currently volunteering with families of premature babies on neonatal units and with vulnerable elderly individuals. Thank's guys!
    I would definitely bring it up :yep: I'm a high achiever myself and do rather well at university, and yet I have numerous mental health issues. By letting my uni know, it means I can access support whenever things get rather bad for me.

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing want to change!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm returning to university in September after having a year out this year due to mental health issues and other things. In my first year at university i greatly struggled with anxiety too. I had a panic attack one night all of a sudden and went to hospital thinking i was dying. I going to make sure to get all mental health support that is available to me when i go back to university. At the very least, i feel like i couldn't go back to university without having consistent counselling/therapy available to me if i need it. I may not need it but if it is necessary it will be important. I've been feeling reluctant to ask for support for my anxiety much like you, because i feel like my issues probably are minimal in comparison to other people who ask for help. But at the end of the day, if i feel like it would make my university experience easier and more enjoyable, then it's worth applying for support. Your reminder was much needed, thank you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.