Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got offers for journalism but I'm currently in s5. (Scotland) would going to university when I'm 17 affect me in any way. I just feel that a gap yea rwouldnt do me any good tbh. I've got offers from 2 universities that are deferred entry to 2018 as they are quite far to travel without a car. But I have an interview for Napier journalism which I am only around 10 minutes away from. What should I do

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do another year at school to get into a better degree? English, economics, history, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Why don't you do another year at school to get into a better degree? English, economics, history, etc.
    I actually have an offer to Napier for English haha
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNU)
    I've got offers for journalism but I'm currently in s5. (Scotland) would going to university when I'm 17 affect me in any way. I just feel that a gap yea rwouldnt do me any good tbh. I've got offers from 2 universities that are deferred entry to 2018 as they are quite far to travel without a car. But I have an interview for Napier journalism which I am only around 10 minutes away from. What should I do
    I thought most Scottish students start a year "early" so there will be other 17 year olds anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it if you think you're ready - met a girl the other day who started uni at 16 and she turned out fine!

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni at 17. Not fun at all especially if you're looking for the first year experience! You will not get into any clubs! You have to leave the student union bar after 8 cos they scan your student card. You can't get a student account etc. and you get called jailbait by STUPID third year guys!

ReputationRep:
    OP, I left after s5 with 5 solid highers and good grades, I came against the same brick wall. At the time (3 years ago now) I said to myself I can do virtually whatever subject I want but either way I'm going to be starting at 16. I decided to make up the difference by choosing an HND first at my local college (2 years) and then opting for 3rd year entry into UWS. Lots of other unis offer direct entry options but UWS offer courses specifically aimed at HND qualified students.

My experience has been very mixed so far. College offers a brilliant stepping stone between school and uni and can really help you ease into the more independent style of learning that you will be doing at uni. From a financial standpoint college can save you a lot of money as well. Whilst tuition fees are covered by SAAS either way, doing 2 years at college and 2 years at uni can easily half your student loan if you carry on living at home and opt not to take the loan. As I'm sure you know SAAS funding applications have to be renewed each year so you can easily not take the loan for the first two years and then opt into it for the last two years, as well as this SAAS specifically declare in one of their documents that they will still guarantee funding for HND students progressing through to a degree. If you can get the bursary as well then all the better. The final pro that I'm going to mention is perhaps more related to my field (engineering) than yours however, I'm going to weigh it in anyway: college tends to favour a more technical and hands on approach which is good for the CV.

Now for the negative side of my experience. Specifically from a social point of view it can be harder jumping into 3rd year as everyone else will already have made friends, I'm still finding this especially hard because I made such an amazing group of friends in college it's hard to start over. Stereotypically speaking college lecturers are often considered to be of lesser quality, in my experience particularly I have found them both to be about as bad as each other, you will rarely win all around there. In terms of accommodation I jumped in the deep end and decided that I didn't fancy being a 3rd year in halls, actually sourcing your own accommodation can be a fair bit of work plus halls offers a great opportunity to make friends. Another con that I've especially noticed in the past few weeks is that as a 3rd year entry student I've had very little in the way of introduction to things like the student union, societies, sports, etc. Once you know where to find the stuff it's no problem but it would have been nice to know sooner.

In general I'm not sure that I would recommend this at all my experience, like I say, has been very mixed. I do often wish I had done sixth year and only chosen recreational subjects so that I would have only been a couple of months short of 18 the next time around but the vast majority of people in the year above me at the time had regretted choosing to do 6th year and my younger sister who is just coming to the end of 6th year now has fully regretted it. Advanced higher subjects have a minimal effect on uni unless you are going for something very competitive like medicine or trying to get into somewhere like Oxford/Cambridge.

In hindsight and in terms of education I don't think it would have made any difference having gone at 16 anymore however, I've had 2 years where I've had the opportunity to work 2 fairly good jobs and organise two great holidays as well as learn to drive and a whole host of other things which I wouldn't have been able to afford, or at least would have found much harder at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CamLikesCookies)
    OP, I left after s5 with 5 solid highers and good grades, I came against the same brick wall. At the time (3 years ago now) I said to myself I can do virtually whatever subject I want but either way I'm going to be starting at 16. I decided to make up the difference by choosing an HND first at my local college (2 years) and then opting for 3rd year entry into UWS. Lots of other unis offer direct entry options but UWS offer courses specifically aimed at HND qualified students.

My experience has been very mixed so far. College offers a brilliant stepping stone between school and uni and can really help you ease into the more independent style of learning that you will be doing at uni. From a financial standpoint college can save you a lot of money as well. Whilst tuition fees are covered by SAAS either way, doing 2 years at college and 2 years at uni can easily half your student loan if you carry on living at home and opt not to take the loan. As I'm sure you know SAAS funding applications have to be renewed each year so you can easily not take the loan for the first two years and then opt into it for the last two years, as well as this SAAS specifically declare in one of their documents that they will still guarantee funding for HND students progressing through to a degree. If you can get the bursary as well then all the better. The final pro that I'm going to mention is perhaps more related to my field (engineering) than yours however, I'm going to weigh it in anyway: college tends to favour a more technical and hands on approach which is good for the CV.

Now for the negative side of my experience. Specifically from a social point of view it can be harder jumping into 3rd year as everyone else will already have made friends, I'm still finding this especially hard because I made such an amazing group of friends in college it's hard to start over. Stereotypically speaking college lecturers are often considered to be of lesser quality, in my experience particularly I have found them both to be about as bad as each other, you will rarely win all around there. In terms of accommodation I jumped in the deep end and decided that I didn't fancy being a 3rd year in halls, actually sourcing your own accommodation can be a fair bit of work plus halls offers a great opportunity to make friends. Another con that I've especially noticed in the past few weeks is that as a 3rd year entry student I've had very little in the way of introduction to things like the student union, societies, sports, etc. Once you know where to find the stuff it's no problem but it would have been nice to know sooner.

In general I'm not sure that I would recommend this at all my experience, like I say, has been very mixed. I do often wish I had done sixth year and only chosen recreational subjects so that I would have only been a couple of months short of 18 the next time around but the vast majority of people in the year above me at the time had regretted choosing to do 6th year and my younger sister who is just coming to the end of 6th year now has fully regretted it. Advanced higher subjects have a minimal effect on uni unless you are going for something very competitive like medicine or trying to get into somewhere like Oxford/Cambridge.

In hindsight and in terms of education I don't think it would have made any difference having gone at 16 anymore however, I've had 2 years where I've had the opportunity to work 2 fairly good jobs and organise two great holidays as well as learn to drive and a whole host of other things which I wouldn't have been able to afford, or at least would have found much harder at uni.
    Thanks for all that. I think I'm going to go for it. I'll be 17 when I go (18 in less than 6months) plus I'll be living at home any ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNU)
    Thanks for all that. I think I'm going to go for it. I'll be 17 when I go (18 in less than 6months) plus I'll be living at home any ways
    In that case I'd say you're making the right decision with it, good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.