Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who You Calling N****r watch

Announcements

Did you know that one cannot say "beer can" without sounding like a Jamaican saying "beacon".

Go on - try it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    If I lived in a run-down council estate living with only one parent that would motivate me MORE to succeed in life, not reduce it.
    "if i did" but you don't so you would not understand. it is so easy looking from the outside in and make presumption of what you would do in the same situation.

believe me some individuals do not want to be a victim of their circumstance but the majority, look up to the older boys on the estate that do nothing and therefore they believe education is long and they result to being unmotivated
    and uninterested in academic achievement.

many of them believe they can just turn to music or sports to earn a living, and we all know every one cant be a footballer or a rapper.

(Original post by legalhustle1984)
    "if i did" but you don't so you would not understand. it is so easy looking from the outside in and make presumption of what you would do in the same situation.
    I don’t have to put my hand in acid in order to know that it'll burn if I do. Moral of the story: we can know things without having to experience them for ourselves. The human mind is capable of transcending time-space to envisage situations that it has never encountered before.

Now, if my mother was black, my friends were black, and my house a *****y little thing in London I KNOW that I would work damn damn damn hard to get out of there asap - you can bet your cannabis on it.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that one cannot say "beer can" without sounding like a Jamaican saying "beacon".

Go on - try it!
    I think its actually like a jamaican saying bacon.....it was on shooting stars i think??? :confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    Now, if my mother was black, my friends were black, and my house a *****y little thing in London I KNOW that I would work damn damn damn hard to get out of there asap - you can bet your cannabis on it.
    Now, if your mother was black, your friends were black, your house was a *****y little thing in London, you were beaten up for doing well in tests at school, you had to spend evenings looking after your siblings, your peers forced you into a life of drugs and vandalism, your inner city comprehensive didn't allow higher than foundation GCSE papers, your mother suffered depression, you didn't have the money for books and your mate was shot, would you still be in an environment where you could work damn damn damn hard to get out of there, and would you be able to succeed with education?

(I know previously in this thread I said the vast majority of blacks had the potential to improve their socioeconomic status regardless of external circumstances, I'm just presenting a hypothetical situation).

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean this in an ignorant way at all, but I thought an important issue needs to be cleared up. Earlier, someone responded to the fact that 50% of black children are in single parent families, by asking "why?" The response was that most of them do not have fathers.

I can guess that their fathers in turn may have been in a similar position, and for one reason or another ( perhaps the lack of strong male role models? )this may have caused them to lead a lifestyle which ended up in their children being left without a father. However, how did this situation arise in the first place? Somwhere along the line, something could have happened to the males, either in this generation, or the generation before, and so on. I'm not trying to pigeonhole black males at all here, I'm just responding to a statistic that has been posted.

Again, forgive my ignorance, I'm not trying to cause trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t have to put my hand in acid in order to know that it'll burn if I do. Moral of the story: we can know things without having to experience them for ourselves. The human mind is capable of transcending time-space to envisage situations that it has never encountered before.

cannabis????? i bet you would say that to my

your acid comparison is irrelevant.

you are considerin what you would do in that situation at your current age and the level of ambitious you have now, but imagine growin up, for a young age, not knowing the importance of education and not having anybody to motivate you.

that is the problem many black youths have. i was lucky, my mother always was a positive role model and she made me understand the impostance of education. i am currently studying law at university and am going into my final year and this year i achieved a 2:1 and i hope to achieve a first class. and therefore my race should not be a factor.

ReputationRep:
    i am currently studying law at university and am going into my final year and this year i achieved a 2:1 and i hope to achieve a first class. and therefore my race should not be a factor.
    Regarding your previous comment that you haven't been able to get work placements, if you've applied to large reputable firms I'd very much doubt it's down to racism; law firms have no reason to discriminate on race and I know several Afro-Caribbeans who got placements. The situation's perhaps not the same at smaller high-street firms though.

(Original post by Jools)
    Now, if your mother was black, your friends were black, your house was a *****y little thing in London, you were beaten up for doing well in tests at school, you had to spend evenings looking after your siblings, your peers forced you into a life of drugs and vandalism, your inner city comprehensive didn't allow higher than foundation GCSE papers, your mother suffered depression, you didn't have the money for books and your mate was shot, would you still be in an environment where you could work damn damn damn hard to get out of there, and would you be able to succeed with education?

(I know previously in this thread I said the vast majority of blacks had the potential to improve their socioeconomic status regardless of external circumstances, I'm just presenting a hypothetical situation).
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I don't believe that you can come to a straightforward conclusion on this. You simply haven't lived it.

ReputationRep:
    u racist *******
    how do you know his parents were'nt married when he was born?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I don't believe that you can come to straightforward conclusion on this. You simply haven't lived it.
    biggles is an ignorant fool

there is no point askin him such questions

he is living in an internet bubble.

he would not dare to say half the things he has said, to our faces

he is using this forum as a platform to exhinit his racist views.

ReputationRep:
    If there is one ideal I hold most dear it's that all women of all races can be united around my body.
    I really like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    how do you know his parents were'nt married when he was born?
    so u are not disputing the fact that his views are racist, and therefore he is racist.

ReputationRep:
    biggles is an ignorant fool

there is no point askin him such questions

he is living in an internet bubble.

he would not dare to say half the things he has said, to our faces

he is using this forum as a platform to exhinit his racist views.
    He's deliberately trying to wind you up, don't let him.

ReputationRep:
    so u are not disputing the fact that his views are racist, and therefore he is racist.
    nope and neither would gnostic

ReputationRep:
    Racist is a very ambiguous term, as most people understand it i wouldnt consider that it fits him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)
    Racist is a very ambiguous term, as most people understand it i wouldnt consider that it fits him.
    I interpret racism as the belief that one race is superior to another - Biggles has explicitly showed he believes this several times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)
    racist = extremely prejudges views based on race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I interpret racism as the belief that one race is superior to another - Biggles has explicitly showed he believes this several times.
    I would consider it simply the capacity to judge one on their race alone, something gnostic has stated he would not do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.