Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggles)
    I'm a bloody genius and even I cant fathom what you're on about - do explain.
    Oh dear Susan, you still need to wake up.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kay0)
    Then you are not a genius.

But, can I ask you, why do you think John started this thread? read what he said very carefully.
    Why on earth are you calling him a disgrace and then not explaining it. And to give the explanation of "If you had african parents, you would understand." is pretty stupid because it doesn't explain anything to people who do not have african parents.

Just do what many people are asking you to do and explain your comments.

ReputationRep:
    Bifiraction again, those blacks who have made it to the security of the weathly middle classes slamming those who havent for not trying.

ReputationRep:
    In brief terms, the original poster sounds a bit like a sell out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    In brief terms, the original poster sounds a bit like a sell out.
    John does sound a bit like Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince, but I don't think someone should be criticised by their peers for what I interpret as the desire to do well for themselves and improve their socioeconomic status.

ReputationRep:
    Using the phrase "sell-out" implies that the natural order of things if for black people to be at the bottom of society. And that is part of the problem that the original poster is trying to combat.

If he's a sell-out for trying to improve himself and have a good life then I hope he is proud of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Using the phrase "sell-out" implies that the natural order of things if for black people to be at the bottom of society. And that is part of the problem that the original poster is trying to combat.

If he's a sell-out for trying to improve himself and have a good life then I hope he is proud of it.
    i think he meant more that you should not criticise other blacks, the reason other are unlike you is that they have not had the opportunities the sucessful have had and hence haven't been inspired. It seems a joke to me on this matter personally as there will always be stupid people whatever the skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Not at all.

Were I to have authored the initial post (which I maintain contains some valid points), I would have put a different bent on it. In many ways, the post sounds quite naive, and if you were to take the bit out where he says "I'm African" - for all intents and purposes, it could have been a diatribe written by a non-black, against blacks.

Some people like to retain pride and dignity in their people and what they say and do, although admittedly others don't. It's a matter of personal choice. I certainly wouldn't say some of the things in the original post, but that doesn't mean to say I'm sitting on my tod with a string of Gs to my name and no hope.

"I'm black African myself and could not believe it! Tonight I feel as though every race sees us as the vermin of society...and that really sucks."

The fact that this programme appears to have brought home certain 'home truths' to this guy makes him seem just a little naive.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody can be successful without:

a) Conforming to negative stereotypes
    b) Denigrating their people

ReputationRep:
    Although i'm not at all racist, and hate racism. What is all this innit ****? and wearing chains taht weigh about 10 stone. And talking as if the place is ruled by them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    Although i'm not at all racist, and hate racism. What is all this innit ****? and wearing chains taht weigh about 10 stone. And talking as if the place is ruled by them?
    As I said, the only people's behaviour on that program that I was truly disgusted by was those Pakistanis, one saying how they rule the place, and the other's behaviour towards Darcus Howe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    As I said, the only people's behaviour on that program that I was truly disgusted by was those Pakistanis, one saying how they rule the place, and the other's behaviour towards Darcus Howe.
    I wish that I had seen this programme! (Not least because it has cause quite a stir), what was the full title? Do you know when it's being repeated?

ReputationRep:
    They wonder why they are hated by some people?? Answer was answered in teh show. Pakistani saying they rule the place?! Why come out with such a **** comment?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trouttrout)
    They wonder why they are hated by some people?? Answer was answered in teh show. Pakistani saying they rule the place?! Why come out with such a **** comment?!
    But then this a minority, think about the thugs who go around saying "England is for the whites, and anyone else can stick it!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    But then this a minority, think about the thugs who go around saying "England is for the whites, and anyone else can stick it!"
    There seems to be a much greater proportion of Pakistani(/Asian) "innit" fools saying how they rule the place compared to white thugs.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, but it's always the minority that get noticed isn't it. It works both ways. The pakistanis will be complaining that all brititsh(I'm Welsh), are racist, but British can argue back it's only the minority but we all getr tarred with same brush, teh same as the comments made by one pakistani will reflect on them all.

I get a form of racial abuse, sometimes through just banter, sometiomes more serious like at footy matches. I'm not bohered, I give as much **** to teh other supporteres as they give to me, but it's still a form of racism calling me a sheep shagger or a welsh ****, but that goes unnotied!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    There seems to be a much greater proportion of Pakistani(/Asian) "innit" fools saying how they rule the place compared to white thugs.
    But then nothing really needs to be said for the latter. England is the white man's country - I wouldn't deny that for a second, and it would take a brazen individual to contest this.

My experience is, in many ways, going 'against the grain' - and by the sound of it - so is the threadstarter's. Most the immigrant communities in the UK are treated with hostility, whether it be explicit or otherwise.

Walking into a local estate agents, and viewing the shocked expressions on the staff (who presume that I've come to rob) - would confirm this.

ReputationRep:
    The show was pretty unfair in showing the Pakistani side, I mean interviewing a bunch of kids hanging around on the streets at night isn't going to give you the views of the average Pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azim)
    The show was pretty unfair in showing the Pakistani side, I mean interviewing a bunch of kids hanging around on the streets at night isn't going to give you the views of the average Pakistani.
    The program didn't have the aim of showing the average Pakistani, it had the aim of highlighting why there's conflict, by interviewing the troublemakers.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let me explain briefly what I meant. I detected a lot of underlying issues with the original post. To me it seems that John has a few issues.

I can't be bothered to go into detail and highlight all the problems with that post, but i'l say this.

From what i read, it seems to me that John is asking the people on this forum to express there views on why 'blacks aren't catching up'. As an African black you should KNOW. There is not much difference between you and those 50cent wannabes you see in the city centre. The only differences could possibly be you have wealthier parents, live with both parents..etc.

I don't know why you feel you have to ask other people (mainly non-blacks on this board) why blacks (your people) are not catching up. Imagine yourself with just one parent (mummy) living in a council flat, because as sad as it is, that is the reality for almost 50% of black youth. Then ask yourself again why they are not progressing.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.