Turn on thread page Beta

Who You Calling N****r watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    You simply don't get that in Spain. The only Asians I saw were Oriental tourists and the people who served me in a Port Vell Tandoori. I just did not see many people from the subcontinent at all. Much the same went for Rome - most the Asians that I saw were Oriental tourists, or people trying to sell cheap tack in the street.

That's probably true, although on the whole Spain and Italy are poorer nations than France, Germany and GB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I assume you don't think that all white people in Britain (not England!) are if the same cultural background? For a start, a lot of the new immigrants are white.
    Why not England? That's a country isn't it?! Unless I've got the statistic wrong, which is possible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    That's probably true, although on the whole Spain and Italy are poorer nations than France, Germany and GB.
    They're often perceived as being very backwards by people in the UK - but the Spanish GDP per capita is not actually that far off our own.

In Italy, an economic North-South divide exists which quite frankly makes the UK's (alleged divide) look like nothing. I think it's called the Mezzogiorno, whereby south of Rome - Italy could effectively be a third world country.

In the industrial heartlands surrounding the Turin triangle (sorry, I can't remember the other points on it) - Italy is one of the most thriving economies in Europe. Northern Italy, were it to be declared a separate country, would be a lot richer than the UK.

I'm not knocking you, but a lot of people in the UK like to view the Spanish and Italians as inferior and 'hot blooded' (due to their Romantic origins).

This is simply not the case though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I assume you don't think that all white people in Britain (not England!) are if the same cultural background? For a start, a lot of the new immigrants are white.

Yes, I know. But people have been talking about seeing "black faces" in certain countries, and it's that I was answering to.

ReputationRep:
    Germany takes the most immigrants of all european nations! Berlin has the biggest turkish population of any city after Istanbul.
    By "Black" I mean Afro-Caribbean, not Turks/Asians.

ReputationRep:
    They're often perceived as being very backwards by people in the UK - but the Spanish GDP per capita is not actually that far off our own.
    I wouldn't have thought people here would consider the Spanish & Italian economy/culture as inferior.

In Italy, an economic North-South divide exists which quite frankly makes the UK's (alleged divide) look like nothing. I think it's called the Mezzogiorno, whereby south of Rome - Italy could effectively be a third world country.

In the industrial heartlands surrounding the Turin triangle (sorry, I can't remember the other points on it) - Italy is one of the most thriving economies in Europe. Northern Italy, were it to be declared a separate country, would be a lot richer than the UK.
    Ooh, looks like someone's gonna get an A in AS Level Geography

ReputationRep:

I'm not knocking you, but a lot of people in the UK like to view the Spanish and Italians as inferior and 'hot blooded' (due to their Romantic origins).

This is simply not the case though.
    I don't view them as inferior! Maybe I'm wrong then. In that case it's a mystery to me why these countries are less multi-cultural than other europen countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    Because I think the 92% (census figure right) refers to the UK as a whole. If we were talking about England the figure would be higher.
    Also, as I was saying that the white population do not all have the same cultural background, its worth thinking about the Scots, Welsh and N.Irish here. There are lots of people who think there are large cultural and ethnic differences between the home nations. Aside from this, there are also many white people of immigrant descent (Irish, Polish, Jewish etc) plus Eastern European recent arrivals. So there are other ways to measure ethnic diversity and multicultural-ness rather than simply looking at the proportion of people who are non-white: the white poulation are no more all belonging to an identical cultural and ethnic group than the black.
    Alright, ok, that was just me using a statistic I vaguely remembered, and yes I know there are differet ethnic backgrounds for white people! I was responding to the comment which said that the UK and the USA were the only multi-cultural nations in the West. I didn't deny that the UK was multi-cultural!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    By "Black" I mean Afro-Caribbean, not Turks/Asians.

Oh right, sorry I didn't read that post properly. I thought we were still talking "multi-cultural". You said that the UK and the USA were the only multi-cultural nations in the West. Different countries will always have different immigrants from different areas, Germany takes a lot of Turks, France a lot of Algerians etc.

ReputationRep:
    Can you be more specific? I'm not being rude, guess I'm just ignorant, but I don't understand what you mean.
    Which utopiac black-friendly town do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    I wouldn't have thought people here would consider the Spanish & Italian economy/culture as inferior.
    People do, I'm not just making this up - but I've heard the term 'hot-blooded' applied to people from Spain and Italy. You look at your average Spaniard or Italian - and they're a good deal darker than your average white Englishman.

(Original post by Jools)
    Ooh, looks like someone's gonna get an A in AS Level Geography
    I hope so (although the info that I've mentioned is Year 9 stuff).

ReputationRep:
    People do, I'm not just making this up - but I've heard the term 'hot-blooded' applied to people from Spain and Italy. You look at your average Spaniard or Italian - and they're a good deal darker than your average white Englishman.
    "Hot-blooded" and "darker" maybe, but I'd associate the two countries with first rate culture (flamenco, Picasso), music (Spanish acoustic, opera), food (paella, pizza/pasta/lasagne), good health etc... and not with a significantly poorer standard of living to here.
    I hope so (although the info that I've mentioned is Year 9 stuff).
    Oh, I covered it for AS Module 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Which utopiac black-friendly town do you live in?
    I give up. It's not utopaic. There is a lot of crime. There are a lot of drugs. But the majority of people I know don't look at a black person and think "they're black. They must be dangerous. Help." I had no idea that was so incredibly unusual. If anything, I get scared when I see young men, of any race. Maybe that makes me ageist, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mr "A in maths",

So you think that boping, speaking slang and generally conforming to the "stereotype of blacks" means that we can't get good grades or succeed in life?

So you think that wearing hoods like 50 cent, and again boping and talking slang is exclusive to the black community? Or are you too 'confused' to see that it's all a result of this modernised society, and inclusive of all races... It's called being young my friend, black, white or asian.

Now as for you, what has stopped you from doing all that eh? Identity problems maybe? It really worries me that at times like these, when these debates come up, you can't stand up for your own community, or at least see beyond your vanity and self-worship. Or have you forgotten, Mr Coconut, that after years of oppression we may not be as well spoken or grade achieving. A lot of the academic failure is a result of this, but you will probably notice that this is true of anyone who has descended from any type of oppressed background, whatever their race.

And I'll tell you what else, im gonna keep chattin slang, bopin on road like a badgal, wearin my bling n hoodies, and kissin my teet, while also going to one of the countries best universities to read law, all coz I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD.

It's about time people realised that skin colour means nothing, it's culture and identity you should be lookin at.

Nuff respect, ya zimme...
    da_wilder x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_wilder)
    Dear Mr "A in maths",

So you think that boping, speaking slang and generally conforming to the "stereotype of blacks" means that we can't get good grades or succeed in life?

So you think that wearing hoods like 50 cent, and again boping and talking slang is exclusive to the black community? Or are you too 'confused' to see that it's all a result of this modernised society, and inclusive of all races... It's called being young my friend, black, white or asian.

Now as for you, what has stopped you from doing all that eh? Identity problems maybe? It really worries me that at times like these, when these debates come up, you can't stand up for your own community, or at least see beyond your vanity and self-worship. Or have you forgotten, Mr Coconut, that after years of oppression we may not be as well spoken or grade achieving. A lot of the academic failure is a result of this, but you will probably notice that this is true of anyone who has descended from any type of oppressed background, whatever their race.
    you are fine up until this point
    And I'll tell you what else, im gonna keep chattin slang, bopin on road like a badgal, wearin my bling n hoodies, and kissin my teet, while also going to one of the countries best universities to read law, all coz I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD.

It's about time people realised that skin colour means nothing, it's culture and identity you should be lookin at.

Nuff respect, ya zimme...
    da_wilder x
    you have missed the point i think with this last bit tho, he isnt talking about your kinda situation

ReputationRep:
    what's "my kinda situation"?

ReputationRep:
    u guys must be the dumbest smart people the united kingdom has to offer.

always tryin to apply intellect and academia to all situations.

rascism is not one of those topics that can be analysed.

within every race there are individuals that underachieve.

therefore it is unfair to isolate black people.

all that programme yesterday did, was to create tension between minorities.

that programme was poison and did not achieve anything positive.

i am black african, the programme focused on west-indians.

i am studyin law at university, i am going into my final year and i am on a first, but despite that i am unable to get a work placement.

i am not going to say it is racism, maybe im not trying hard enough.

but what has to be recognised is that in every race in our society, there are individuals that are looked down upon, so it is highly unfair for those asians idiots to act like blacks are all lazy.

and to biggles, if u ever said a "banana joke" in my presence, u would witness the "superior" strength of black people.

and to jools, you need to stop analysing everything.

i hate it when fools try to comment on racial issues when they don't know anything.

and to the fool that started this thread, you need to watch Malcolm X.

I hope i see you in a town centre, i will crack that coconut of yours

ReputationRep:
    what's "my kinda situation"?
    one in which you realise the value of education and have the drive to achieve that goal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    one in which you realise the value of education and have the drive to achieve that goal
    Where are you doing your law at?

ReputationRep:
    Where are you doing your law at?
    i'm not

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.