Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to get a job Watch

This may sound odd, everyone else seems to be content with getting a job and working. I'm not, and I wonder why I seem to think differently this way.

I just can't rationalise how people can want to work from 8am to 6pm, or longer, every day 5 days a week, for barely any money and want to do this every day for the rest of their lives.

I just don't get it, and I don't want to get a job because this is precisely what I'm concerned my life will end up being and I don't want that. For life to be worth living I believe you have to make it worth living and I don't think my life would be worth living by getting a job.

ReputationRep:
    But how will you afford to survive? Honestly, the majority of people feel exactly the same as you unfortunately, but they don't have a choice. I definitely share your concerns and can barely do one full day a week never mind five, I don't want my parents to be paying for me for the rest of my life though. Hopefully we'll win the lottery.

ReputationRep:
    So how are you going to eat/pay rent/live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This may sound odd, everyone else seems to be content with getting a job and working. I'm not, and I wonder why I seem to think differently this way.

I just can't rationalise how people can want to work from 8am to 6pm, or longer, every day 5 days a week, for barely any money and want to do this every day for the rest of their lives.

I just don't get it, and I don't want to get a job because this is precisely what I'm concerned my life will end up being and I don't want that. For life to be worth living I believe you have to make it worth living and I don't think my life would be worth living by getting a job.
    Are you actually being serious with this thread?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

If it's a job you're really passionate about and enjoy, then working long hours doesn't feel nearly so bad. Also, if you can earn a decent amount of money you can enjoy your spare time with nice holidays, rather than just scraping by stuck in a miserable little house on benefits. But I agree, most people would prefer just to be able to laze around at home, go on holidays, play with their kids, etc. - it just isn't possible to have your cake and eat it...

That being said, I also want to have a good work-life balance, there's not much point working every hour of your life if you can't spend any time enjoying having the money. But that doesn't mean you can just laze around living of your parents/ the state - even on a part-time job you can earn enough money to get by while still having plenty of time to relax, and when you eventually find the career you are truly passionate about you'll be happy to dedicate more time to it

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the 21st century.

I've always stood by the saying "find a job you like doing and you won't work a day in your life" i.e. find something you enjoy so much it doesn't actually feel like your working.

Either that, or be content living as a recluse with your own private small-holding somewhere where you won't need money/internet/benefits of modern society.

I do get what you're saying though. It's a shame that despite all our advances, it's a shame that we need such a thing as money in order to "live". I used to watch shows like Star Trek and find myself longing for some long-distant future where the accumulation of wealth was not something humanity had to worry about - where things like currency and poverty are no longer an issue - and people could focus on bettering human-kind for its own intrinsic benefits.

Dont worry i feel the same im not going uni and have to work but im scared to death about the concept of being an adult with responsibilities

ReputationRep:

I FEEL the exact same.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it then, just go on to job seekers allowance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Det.Hartigan)
    Don't do it then, just go on to job seekers allowance?
    You have to apply for jobs to get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    You have to apply for jobs to get it.
    Apply then perform like crap at the interviews?

ReputationRep:

I'm going through the same thing. I hate working. I find it so dull and repetitive. I also lack motivation to even attend interviews, I don't really have trouble with applications but I guess the anxiety building up to the interview makes me cancel the whole thing. I've been occupying my time with other things until I figure out what the hell I'm going to be doing with my life. I've been getting into fundraising challenges for charity (Mount trekking, runs etc.) which I'm glad im doing as I've realised I feel passionate about it. My life seems more meaningful and put to good use.

I suppose for now focus on the things you enjoy and maybe slowly by slowly you can find a job in that. Take it slow though. Even if you're just volunteering. Maybe put a list together of all the things you are 1) good at 2) enjoy doing. Then you can work on harbouring these skills/interests.

I'm totally lazy. And I'm not saying you are maybe you need passion. Even I am passionate about a few things 1)I love writing (I'm trying to get myself out there, sending my stuff to magazines to get publicity and build up my social media) small steps. Nothing big. It took me FOREVER to send my work to magazines but I did it! 2)I love working for charity like I said I've been doing challenges like mountain trekking etc. I get excercise and I feel like I've helped people! 3) I read... This doesnt help anyone but me. But it makes me feel like while I'm unemployed I'm helping myself keep busy. 4) I'm planning/hoping to volunteer in causes I am interested in (homelessness, mental health, schools, libraries) ...hopefully I'll get a job sooner or later. Who knows. If I'm honest I don't really care. I'm kind of waiting for myself to get so annoyed at being in this unemployment phase that I'll get a job, however I do have my inheritance to live off for a while which others don't always the privilege of..

(Maybe you can get inspired by some of things I've mentioned or if not think about your dreams and aspirations?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Det.Hartigan)
    Apply then perform like crap at the interviews?
    If they get the sense you're not trying....

ReputationRep:

I know my dream job is to play computer games all day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    Are you actually being serious with this thread?
    That's exactly what I was going to say. You have to do things in life that you don't want to.
    Why do you, OP, need to create a thread about it?

My dad doesn't work for anyone; he manages businesses. Like a noodles restaurant, three clothing stores, a sweet shop, etc.
    This could be a possibility for you in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I knew from a very young age that going to work for 40 years or more was sheer madness. Unfortunately I didn't get on with my father so had to get a job so I always went for the easiest jobs with the most holidays and where there were strikes and whatnot and restrictive practices.Plus the chance to have early finishes in summer and late duties in winter . And where your boss left you alone unless you fouled up.
    That's how I became a tube driver.Imagine my delight on finding that there were spare turns!Where you turn up but dont need to do anything unless another driver is missing! And go home after 5 hours
    Fortunately ,despite the spare turns, after a few years I was able to take voluntary redundancy.

The biggest problem with not working I subsequently found is that intelligent women aren't overly impressed unless they are also artistic. And artistic women tend to be a bit mad and/or needy. Fortunately London had a large supply of tourists but it was still a problem at times.And I sometimes wonder what might have been had I been prepared to work 9-5. But that's life.

One of the worst things anyone can do is work in a job they hate. Some people do it for many years. There's always something that will suit you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same. I know I have to work and I do want to but it just scares me thinking that's what I'll be doing for pretty much the rest of my life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauralau21)
    I'm exactly the same. I know I have to work and I do want to but it just scares me thinking that's what I'll be doing for pretty much the rest of my life...
    You don't have to work...just join the Gold Digger club with mali473

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraggor)
    You don't have to work...just join the Gold Digger club with mali473
    You're funny

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.