Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Germans were ready to offer Theresa May a deal on freedom of movement, says Nick Cleg Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/ite...ampaign=Slide2

Germans were ready to offer Theresa May a deal on freedom of movement, says Nick Clegg Angela Merkel was ready to offer Theresa May a post-referendum deal on freedom of movement in exchange for a UK commitment to the single market, said Nick Clegg at the Mile End Institute, Queen Mary University of London.

She is brainwashing us into thinking its not possible, I'm starting to swing on Labour end... anyone else? (I'm a leave voter btw, primarly this reason)

ReputationRep:
    Nope, the EU is a failing project, the faster we get out the better.

The only problem is at the moment is that we are getting most of the negatives without any benefits so people see this as really bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)

Germans were ready to offer Theresa May a deal on freedom of movement, says Nick Clegg Angela Merkel was ready to offer Theresa May a post-referendum deal on freedom of movement in exchange for a UK commitment to the single market, said Nick Clegg at the Mile End Institute, Queen Mary University of London.

She is brainwashing us into thinking its not possible, I'm starting to swing on Labour end... anyone else?
    How, precisely, does Nick Clegg know what Angela Merkel was willing to offer Theresa May? And, if he knows, why does nobody else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    How, precisely, does Nick Clegg know what Angela Merkel was willing to offer Theresa May? And, if he knows, why does nobody else?
    Media hiding it, Cameron/May know stuff we don't know that they said behind doors... either one.
    • Very Important Poster

So what? Weve decided to leave now so its all irrelevant. There was some suggestion of some temporary halt for x years, but they should have had that mechanism in place anyway or listened to the UK. They didnt and we got Brexit. Time to move on.

ReputationRep:
    Media hiding it, Cameron/May know stuff we don't know that they said behind doors... either one.
    Why would Merkel be stupid enough to reveal her position to anyone outside the German cabinet/EU Commission insiders, especially British politicians or the press? Unless she wanted it to be public, of course, in which case she would have made it public, wouldn't she?

This claim is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Why would Merkel be stupid enough to reveal her position to anyone outside the German cabinet/EU Commission insiders, especially British politicians or the press? Unless she wanted it to be public, of course, in which case she would have made it public, wouldn't she?

This claim is nonsense.
    Your mis-reading it, your nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Your mis-reading it, your nonsense.
    You haven't read it at all, it seems. The key phrases are:

Mr Clegg said: "I’d always assumed that what she’d do [after the referendum result] is jump on a plane in the dead of night and - without telling the press - go to Berlin, have a nice sauerkraut dinner with Angel Merkel and say to her ‘listen this is a nightmare for us. I don’t want this, you don’t want this. Let’s try to quickly reach an accommodation’.”

So, Clegg, is speculating.

and

It was confirmed to me in private that this is exactly what the Germans expected as well. They were ready to make precisely that concession.

If this is true it means that Merkel lied to either Cameron or the British in general when she said before the referendum that Cameron had got the best deal he could to take to the British people.

If, indeed, she held back such an important concession until afterwards then she has been hoist by her own petard. In any case, even if Merkel would make the concession it does not follow that the other 26 countries would agree.

ReputationRep:
    Nick Clegg has no credibility at all, I'd take Tony Blair's word over his. Merkel and other EU leaders have made it clear we cannot pick and choose and to do so would only cause chaos in the EU, it would probably get strong disapproval. The only way is a full withdrawal and trade agreement, if things go well they can accept us into the EEA without forcing FM on us but that's in the distant future and unlikely. Right now it's all about holding the EU together for them, if they don't have FM for the UK, France will want the same so I doubt this is credible.

ReputationRep:
    Its not a bilateral deal with Germany, its a deal with 27 countries, all of whom have to agree it, and Angela Merkel does not speak for the EU.

I kind of get what Nick Clegg is saying, and tbh I think this is the gamble Boris Johnson was planning, but if you remember what the big figures in the EU were saying straight after the vote they ruled it out. They were saying it's sad that the UK is leaving, and we don't want to punish the UK, but the priority is the continuation of the EU and there will be no further deal offered.

If Merkel offers a compromise on free movement to the UK then Francois Fillon will see the way to prevent his support leaching over to Marine Le Pen by offering the French people a guarantee that he will renegotiate France's relationship with the EU, to one that gets control over movement like the UK have. And tbh Merkel would come under pressure even in Germany to secure that for Germany as well, not just offer it to the UK.

Another angle to this is that "commitment to the single market" means regulatory harmonisation with all EU rules in that market. Which is one thing if the UK has a vote and influence on making those rules (from inside the EU), its another thing when the UK is outside the EU and just has to implement them. There is no way in a million years that a country like the UK, after just having had a referendum that rejected the EU, would be able to credibly be reduced to a rule taker, where our departments are just "implementation" departments, Whitehall and our Parliament would just be reduced to making sure we made laws that implemented rules made in the EU over which we had no say. That kind of arrangement is fine for a small country that wants the security of external consumers and investors seeing that they are protected by the same rules that apply say to Germany and France, but for a major economy like the UK it would just be politically impossible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    "Says Nick Clegg"

Okay, next!

ReputationRep:
    Lol I definitely wouldn't believe Nick Clegg.

ReputationRep:
    Nick who?

ReputationRep:
    No credibility here, he is staunchly pro-EU and pro-Single Market so he's going to want to say whatever he can to disrupt this process.

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt that what politicians say in private is a lot different to what they say in public so I don't give much weight to people saying what deal we can and can't have. It is all posturing and much of it is incredible.

The question is, what kind of deal? This sounds to me a lot like what Cameron did. He went to Merkel and said "look, we don't want to leave the EU but we have got to have this referendum. What can you do for us?" He supposedly secured a deal on free-movement but the voters rejected it.

May needs to do something different. Voters won't be happy with tinkering around the edges as Cameron did. Clegg is approaching the issue like 'what is the minimum change we can make to our relationship to the EU so it can be politically feasible?' That has been tried already. May is carrying out the wishes of the majority who actually want to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Even if something of this nature were true, it's not Merkel's decision ultimately - it is the decision of 27 member-states and, in theory, four others in EFTA. It's also bloody ridiculous timing: had our fellow member-states and EU institutions taken things a bit more seriously when David Cameron first came to them, then all of this could have been avoided.

We're still going to be actively involved in the single market anyway. Whether it was through some new type of EEA-style membership with adjusted parameters on movement or what is now being proposed isn't really that significant.

ReputationRep:

She is brainwashing us into thinking its not possible, I'm starting to swing on Labour end... anyone else? (I'm a leave voter btw, primarly this reason)
    If that were true they could offer it during negotiations and it would be gladly accepted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They should have offered us a deal on it before the referendum but were too stubborn and now they are losing their second biggest donor.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If you voted for sovereignty then it is immaterial. Single market means a foreign court.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If you voted for sovereignty then it is immaterial. Single market means a foreign court.
    What do you think of the news that Cameron tried to get rid of Paul Dacre?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.