Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Burka be banned in the UK and US? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Although I don't personally agree with banning this, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like 'banning' anything, but there are times when a face covering is inappropriate - such as personal care within the NHS, teachers, lawyers etc. These situations are where being able to see the face (not just the eyes) of the person with whom you are trying to converse is an important factor and I don't think playing the Religious card works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Oh my!!! You like using GIFs too? Oh please please share some with me
    Oh boy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Oh my!!! You like using GIFs too? Oh please please share some with me

ReputationRep:
    No, freedom of practising ones religion and all. Most women choose to wear it out of their own free will so we can't call them 'oppressed' either. However, they should show their faces for security reasons etc.

ReputationRep:
    My personal stance is that individuals should be entitled to wear whatever they wish - with it being up to institutions to reprimand individuals for wearing clothing deemed to be "inappropriate" for the scenario. I have no problems with individuals wearing the Niqab/Burka, except in cases where identification is required for legal purposes. (such as making an arrest)

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the one where they show their face. When I was younger I didn't even know it was for religion, just thought they were being trendy. But if you must ban ban, a burka ban is passive aggressive, a Muslim ban is straight to the bone.

ReputationRep:
    Not in public, I don't believe any garment that doesn't instigate violence towards another group of people with an intrinsic characteristic should be banned.

In private I believe the owner should be able to stipulate any clothing rules they wish.

ReputationRep:
    Idc. If a Muslim woman wants to wear the burka then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    I actually laughed out loud and spat up some of my biscuit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    In private I believe the owner should be able to stipulate any clothing rules they wish.
    #NoClothes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    #NoClothes
    If they so wish, then I see of no reason they shouldn't. It's their property.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say what i think but i don't want to start arguments so :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    I was going to say what i think but i don't want to start arguments so :getmecoat:
    Don't not voice your opinions for fear of starting an argument. Don't be ashamed of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    If they so wish, then I see of no reason they shouldn't. It's their property.
    Yyyeeaaaaa...I personally don't mind the no clothes thing though

No one besides me would dare argue with you if they knew how tough and witty you are
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    No one besides me would dare argue with you if they knew how tough and witty you are
    Tough and witty? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saskbass)
    Although I don't personally agree with banning this, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.
    Yes and could you add a poll

ReputationRep:
    If people are picking arguments with you, it means you're saying something interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Tough and witty? :lol:
    Stop being modest. :yes: Is your comment to do with leaning towards burkas or banning?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.