The Student Room Group

Should the Burka be banned in the UK and US?

Although I don't personally agree with banning this, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Scroll to see replies

I don't like 'banning' anything, but there are times when a face covering is inappropriate - such as personal care within the NHS, teachers, lawyers etc. These situations are where being able to see the face (not just the eyes) of the person with whom you are trying to converse is an important factor and I don't think playing the Religious card works.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AshEntropy
Oh my!!! You like using GIFs too? Oh please please share some with me

Oh boy
Original post by AshEntropy
Oh my!!! You like using GIFs too? Oh please please share some with me

No, freedom of practising ones religion and all. Most women choose to wear it out of their own free will so we can't call them 'oppressed' either. However, they should show their faces for security reasons etc.
My personal stance is that individuals should be entitled to wear whatever they wish - with it being up to institutions to reprimand individuals for wearing clothing deemed to be "inappropriate" for the scenario. I have no problems with individuals wearing the Niqab/Burka, except in cases where identification is required for legal purposes. (such as making an arrest)
I don't mind the one where they show their face. When I was younger I didn't even know it was for religion, just thought they were being trendy. But if you must ban ban, a burka ban is passive aggressive, a Muslim ban is straight to the bone.
Not in public, I don't believe any garment that doesn't instigate violence towards another group of people with an intrinsic characteristic should be banned.

In private I believe the owner should be able to stipulate any clothing rules they wish.
Idc. If a Muslim woman wants to wear the burka then go ahead.
Original post by Dodgypirate

I actually laughed out loud and spat up some of my biscuit
Original post by Zargabaath

In private I believe the owner should be able to stipulate any clothing rules they wish.

#NoClothes
Original post by 0to100
#NoClothes

If they so wish, then I see of no reason they shouldn't. It's their property.
I was going to say what i think but i don't want to start arguments so :getmecoat:
Original post by retro_turtles
I was going to say what i think but i don't want to start arguments so :getmecoat:

Don't not voice your opinions for fear of starting an argument. Don't be ashamed of them.
Original post by Zargabaath
If they so wish, then I see of no reason they shouldn't. It's their property.

Yyyeeaaaaa...I personally don't mind the no clothes thing though :colone:

No one besides me would dare argue with you if they knew how tough and witty you are
Original post by 0to100

No one besides me would dare argue with you if they knew how tough and witty you are

Tough and witty? :lol:
Original post by saskbass
Although I don't personally agree with banning this, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Yes and could you add a poll

If people are picking arguments with you, it means you're saying something interesting.
Tough and witty? :lol:

Stop being modest. :yes: Is your comment to do with leaning towards burkas or banning?

Quick Reply

Latest