Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the Burka be banned in the UK and US? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Anyone could just hide behind one, and I'm not talking about just Muslims here. A criminal on the run could wear a burka to get around and no one would recognise them. They need to be banned.

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying we should ban bikinis and mini skirts because they provoke rape...

ReputationRep:

LOL.

As I understand it, the Burka covers literally everything. People can't see who's behind it. Now, I'm okay with people wearing masks in public so I'm okay with this too. I don't see why it should be banned - can anyone help me out?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no, Because in reality I don't think i've ever seen news reports of people in burkas committing crimes. Muslims know that if they start stabbing or mugging with masks on, the government will have a reason to ban them.

In some respects, I see the controversy when it comes to a group of people who are allowed to wear an item that conceals their identity, That being said, If they do commit a crime or need to get questioned by the police, They should be required by law to remove it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    Stop being modest. :yes: Is your comment to do with leaning towards burkas or banning?
    Banning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retro_turtles)
    Banning
    Nuff sed but go ahead and tell me more or tell me later, I need food x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX)
    I'd say no, Because in reality I don't think i've ever seen news reports of people in burkas committing crimes. Muslims know that if they start stabbing or mugging with masks on, the government will have a reason to ban them.

In some respects, I see the controversy when it comes to a group of people who are allowed to wear an item that conceals their identity, That being said, If they do commit a crime or need to get questioned by the police, They should be required by law to remove it.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-stolen.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wn-centre.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ation-bid.html
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime...-10278346.html
    https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...ing_burka.html
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ican-Flag.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)

LOL.

As I understand it, the Burka covers literally everything. People can't see who's behind it. Now, I'm okay with people wearing masks in public so I'm okay with this too. I don't see why it should be banned - can anyone help me out?

They kind of remind me of tassels/curtains...

ReputationRep:
    In public, yes.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Len Goodman)
    Yes. Anyone could just hide behind one, and I'm not talking about just Muslims here. A criminal on the run could wear a burka to get around and no one would recognise them. They need to be banned.
    So how many xmaples are there of criminals on the run wearing Burkas? Would you also be banning masks, balaclavas, helpmest with visors?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Muslims should be against as well, it would show that they are not extremist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So how many xmaples are there of criminals on the run wearing Burkas? Would you also be banning masks, balaclavas, helpmest with visors?
    It is definitely a weak argument for this reason. Any piece of clothing, pretty much, can be used to conceal identity.

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    In public, yes.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.Burkas are representative of extreme Islam. As it's not a requirement within Islam to wear one.Extreme Islam is generally agreed to be a bad thing so yeah it should be banned.

ReputationRep:

LOL.

Just pointing out that most women that choose to cover their faces, don't wear that particular type of burka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)

Why?
    It is a uniform that promote a totalitarian ideology. Other clothes doing this are already banned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ammmaaaraah)
    Just pointing out that most women that choose to cover their faces, don't wear that particular type of burka.
    It looks hilarious though. Wtf.

I think the word burka refers to this particular kind of clothing. There others but they're not called burka. Learned Islamists can let us know. But the point is that people should be free to go outside with their faces covered. The argument that it is somehow integral in our every day lives to have our faces exposed is not really a strong reason to ban them. I think I can walk around all day with a hat and a clown's mask on without anyone telling me I do something wrong. Same with her even if her reasons are more profound than mine for wearing the burka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    It is definitely a weak argument for this reason. Any piece of clothing, pretty much, can be used to conceal identity.

Why?
    It's a security risk.

Just going to address your previous point also, you say any piece of clothing can be use to conceal identity but when you wear a burka, it doesn't even show what body shape you are (so therefore hard to tell whether there's a man or a woman under the clothing). With regular clothes or even a balaclava, at least you can see the eyes/face shape and work out who it is through software recognition and all. With a burka you can't even do that.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by _gcx)

Why?
    This argument has been had so many times Ive stated it loads of times before.

People should be allowed to wear whatever clothes they want, unless there is good reason other than the fact some people dont like Muslims. With the Burka the exceptions are: Giving evidence in court. Immigration entry as you need to see someones face. NHS and other places where its a health risk or makes it unable to do your job. Already stated by reality check. Its typical of TSR though wanting to ban anything they disagree with.

ReputationRep:
    It looks hilarious though. Wtf.

I think the word burka refers to this particular kind of clothing. There others but they're not called burka. Learned Islamists can let us know. But the point is that people should be free to go outside with their faces covered. The argument that it is somehow integral in our every day lives to have our faces exposed is not really a strong reason to ban them. I think I can walk around all day with a hat and a clown's mask on without anyone telling me I do something wrong. Same with her even if her reasons are more profound than mine for wearing the burka.
    Hey the other type of burka is known as an abayah which also covers everything but unlike the burka its not fully clothing the face head etc. Abayah is just the body and the Hijab and Niqaab is separate whereas the burka is full on.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    It's a security risk.

Just going to address your previous point also, you say any piece of clothing can be use to conceal identity but when you wear a burka, it doesn't even show what body shape you are (so therefore hard to tell whether there's a man or a woman under the clothing). With regular clothes or even a balaclava, at least you can see the eyes/face shape and work out who it is through software recognition and all. With a burka you can't even do that.
    Its a secruity risk? Who says? Do the police or intellgience services suggest its an actual risk they are concerned about?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.