The Student Room Group

Should the Burka be banned in the UK and US?

Scroll to see replies

Yes. Anyone could just hide behind one, and I'm not talking about just Muslims here. A criminal on the run could wear a burka to get around and no one would recognise them. They need to be banned.
Thats like saying we should ban bikinis and mini skirts because they provoke rape...
I'd say no, Because in reality I don't think i've ever seen news reports of people in burkas committing crimes. Muslims know that if they start stabbing or mugging with masks on, the government will have a reason to ban them.

In some respects, I see the controversy when it comes to a group of people who are allowed to wear an item that conceals their identity, That being said, If they do commit a crime or need to get questioned by the police, They should be required by law to remove it.
Original post by 0to100
Stop being modest. :yes: Is your comment to do with leaning towards burkas or banning?

Banning
Original post by retro_turtles
Banning

Nuff sed but go ahead and tell me more :colone: or tell me later, I need food x
Reply 25
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
I'd say no, Because in reality I don't think i've ever seen news reports of people in burkas committing crimes. Muslims know that if they start stabbing or mugging with masks on, the government will have a reason to ban them.

In some respects, I see the controversy when it comes to a group of people who are allowed to wear an item that conceals their identity, That being said, If they do commit a crime or need to get questioned by the police, They should be required by law to remove it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1209006/Jewellers-robbery-Oxfordshire-burka-clad-man--150-000-designer-watches-stolen.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130087/Burka-clad-white-man-arrested-police-detonate-suspect-package-Watford-town-centre.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10438195/The-runaway-terrorist-his-burka-disguise-and-a-compensation-bid.html
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/armed-robbers-dressed-in-burkas-launch-raid-on-brixton-pawnbrokers-10278346.html
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/03/05/man_gets_life_sentence_for_murdering_wife_while_wearing_burka.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3622643/Police-Woman-attacks-homeowner-American-Flag.html
They kind of remind me of tassels/curtains...
In public, yes.
Original post by Len Goodman
Yes. Anyone could just hide behind one, and I'm not talking about just Muslims here. A criminal on the run could wear a burka to get around and no one would recognise them. They need to be banned.

So how many xmaples are there of criminals on the run wearing Burkas? Would you also be banning masks, balaclavas, helpmest with visors?
Reply 29
Absolutely.

Muslims should be against as well, it would show that they are not extremist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
So how many xmaples are there of criminals on the run wearing Burkas? Would you also be banning masks, balaclavas, helpmest with visors?

It is definitely a weak argument for this reason. Any piece of clothing, pretty much, can be used to conceal identity.

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
In public, yes.

Why?
Definitely.Burkas are representative of extreme Islam. As it's not a requirement within Islam to wear one.Extreme Islam is generally agreed to be a bad thing so yeah it should be banned.
Just pointing out that most women that choose to cover their faces, don't wear that particular type of burka.
Reply 33
Original post by _gcx

Why?

It is a uniform that promote a totalitarian ideology. Other clothes doing this are already banned.
Original post by _gcx
It is definitely a weak argument for this reason. Any piece of clothing, pretty much, can be used to conceal identity.

Why?

It's a security risk.

Just going to address your previous point also, you say any piece of clothing can be use to conceal identity but when you wear a burka, it doesn't even show what body shape you are (so therefore hard to tell whether there's a man or a woman under the clothing). With regular clothes or even a balaclava, at least you can see the eyes/face shape and work out who it is through software recognition and all. With a burka you can't even do that.
Original post by _gcx

Why?

This argument has been had so many times Ive stated it loads of times before.

People should be allowed to wear whatever clothes they want, unless there is good reason other than the fact some people dont like Muslims. With the Burka the exceptions are: Giving evidence in court. Immigration entry as you need to see someones face. NHS and other places where its a health risk or makes it unable to do your job. Already stated by reality check. Its typical of TSR though wanting to ban anything they disagree with.
Hey the other type of burka is known as an abayah which also covers everything but unlike the burka its not fully clothing the face head etc. Abayah is just the body and the Hijab and Niqaab is separate whereas the burka is full on.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It's a security risk.

Just going to address your previous point also, you say any piece of clothing can be use to conceal identity but when you wear a burka, it doesn't even show what body shape you are (so therefore hard to tell whether there's a man or a woman under the clothing). With regular clothes or even a balaclava, at least you can see the eyes/face shape and work out who it is through software recognition and all. With a burka you can't even do that.

Its a secruity risk? Who says? Do the police or intellgience services suggest its an actual risk they are concerned about?
Reply 39
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
A) Those sources.... A+

B) You've taken a few examples over the many crimes that have been commited over the past 10 years. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could compile a list of people in wheelchairs also stealing.

A) There's pictures and CCTV footage...

B) Of course you could. But a wheelchair a) isn't helping criminals via hiding their identity b) is necessary for users to have a life. Awful comparison.

Quick Reply

Latest