Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help regarding taking alevels while in full time work. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I am looking to complete Biology, Chemisty and Physics A-levels, however I am unable to attend college due to work, so would have to do all these in my own time.

I had originally planned on going through a company like open study college, however after some research it's become apparent ontop of paying about £400 for each course, you have to arrange and pay for all your exams and practicals that are required to complete the alevel, which I imagine to amount to a lot of money.

Firstly is this the case? Is it not as simple as paying the money, being told what you need to learn and them telling you dates and times to turn up to places where you can sit exams and practicals?

£400 for help at the end of the phone or keyboard seems rediculous to me so if the above isn't the case, then I suppose the only other option is to do it all literally from my own back, which I have heard is possible.

My second question is; how? Learning the required information wouldn't trouble me, I just don't understand how you'd arrange to sit the exams and practicals etc. Do you just write or call a college and say, "yeah need to sit the exams and practicals for a biology alevel, just give me a time and date and I'll bring my cheque book along?". How do you go about doing all this?

Sorry, I am very clueless. I have had a look on the internet about the above however I haven't had much success and thought it would be better to just ask on a forum where people will know the answers.

Thankyou for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You may not be able to do science A levels privately as you need to have somewhere to do practicals and for someone to check coursework so you will have to attend a college. Taking just the exams privately is not a problem though.

ReputationRep:
    I've messaged you as I've done my research in this.

ReputationRep:
    Doing science on self-study is a bad option..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't see self study as a bad option... Motivation and the will to succeed is all that is required. Some people need a tutor to become motivated and to be educated, others don't. Google and literature have all the answers a teacher can give, I'm sure there are even paractical videos somewhere on the internet.

And okay I will check my inbox now.

Note to anyone else interested in self study science alevels:
    It is possible to learn what is required yourself and find somewhere willing to let you sit the exams, there will be a fee however. New rules have taken place and athough they are not required to complete an alevel, many courses at university etc. require that you hold practical certificates. These can be completed if you need them, however places offering this service are hard to find and from what I have seen are fairly expensive, especially if you wish to gain practical certificates for more than one science subject.
    Open study colleges etc. Are completely pointless, all you are paying for is a tutor. You have to find and book exams yourself although they do reccomend places to go. Also none of them offer help to get practical certificates.

Please close this thread as I have the information that I required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    Doing science on self-study is a bad option..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    You could do one/two A levels at a time? It would take you longer than the standard two years to complete them, but I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (and everybody complains about Physics here, is really difficult) and its a lot of hard work. Trying to juggle full time work and three, difficult A levels you're going to find really difficult.
    • Very Important Poster

Distance learning works for some and not for others. Make sure you know it works for you as failing and having to resit becomes part of your record. Finding a place to do exams is less of an issue than finding decent tutors. I would make sure you appreciate the jump up from GCSE to A level.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to have equipments, guidance from teachers in order not to **** up experiments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brwatson94)
    I've messaged you as I've done my research in this.
    It'd be great if you could share this with other members too, as TSR works best when information like this is shared throughout the site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayden.james.94)
    Hello all,

I am looking to complete Biology, Chemisty and Physics A-levels, however I am unable to attend college due to work, so would have to do all these in my own time.

I had originally planned on going through a company like open study college, however after some research it's become apparent ontop of paying about £400 for each course, you have to arrange and pay for all your exams and practicals that are required to complete the alevel, which I imagine to amount to a lot of money.

Firstly is this the case? Is it not as simple as paying the money, being told what you need to learn and them telling you dates and times to turn up to places where you can sit exams and practicals?

£400 for help at the end of the phone or keyboard seems rediculous to me so if the above isn't the case, then I suppose the only other option is to do it all literally from my own back, which I have heard is possible.

My second question is; how? Learning the required information wouldn't trouble me, I just don't understand how you'd arrange to sit the exams and practicals etc. Do you just write or call a college and say, "yeah need to sit the exams and practicals for a biology alevel, just give me a time and date and I'll bring my cheque book along?". How do you go about doing all this?

Sorry, I am very clueless. I have had a look on the internet about the above however I haven't had much success and thought it would be better to just ask on a forum where people will know the answers.

Thankyou for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I appreciate that £400 a throw seems a lot of money for what you're getting, but short of attending an FE college and doing them full-time, or evening classes (which to be honest are pretty thin on the ground in the sciences), it's the only practical way of being able to do what you're suggesting.

I would strongly advise against trying to do these A levels on your own. They are tough choices, and it would be very ill-advised for someone to attempt them on their own even working on them on a semi-full-time basis. Attempting to do them on your own and fit them round a full-time job is, frankly, not realistic.

Why are you doing them, if you don't mind my asking? I imagine it's for University entry, but you know that there are alternative routes into uni, such as Access courses which may suit your circumstances better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trevish)
    You will need to have equipments, guidance from teachers in order not to **** up experiments
    Not necessarily, everything can be found via the internet.
    I have a personal tutor when I need him to help me out, and it's not too expensive. I feel like you're putting people off home learning when all you really need is the drive to succeed. If you don't have it, you will obviously fail. Determination is all it takes.

I will be taking my examinations in Birmingham as they have an exam centre there that accepts self taught students for Biology and Chemistry and includes 3 examinations and the practical tests, it's expensive but worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I was homeschooled and you can't just rock up to any college and take your exams there, you actually have to be enrolled at that college, when I did mine we had to drive to Oxford (4 hours round trip) before they opened the centre in Leicester... and it's super exensive

also as someone says i'm sure you can't do the sciences as someone has to be checking and assessing your coursework ?Could be wrong, i didn't do the sciences so i'm not sure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.