Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice/tips on how to improve your grade in English Literature A-Level? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been on the same grade for the past 2 terms and I don't know how to improve. I need advice ASAP!!

ReputationRep:
    What grade are you stuck on? If you're on a C/B, chances are you're not hitting the right criteria. When analysing, make sure to get good quotes, analyse the techqnieu used and what it shows, tentatively suggest what the author may have meant, add contextual knowledge. You need to dig deep, analyse specific words. Write a smashing conclusion and intro, making sure to link all your paragraphs to the question you're answering for a precise focus. If it's getting from high B low a to an A/A*, it's all about style and technique really. A mature, economical but thourough writing style will ensure top marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.mn)
    What grade are you stuck on? If you're on a C/B, chances are you're not hitting the right criteria. When analysing, make sure to get good quotes, analyse the techqnieu used and what it shows, tentatively suggest what the author may have meant, add contextual knowledge. You need to dig deep, analyse specific words. Write a smashing conclusion and intro, making sure to link all your paragraphs to the question you're answering for a precise focus. If it's getting from high B low a to an A/A*, it's all about style and technique really. A mature, economical but thourough writing style will ensure top marks.
    I'm currently on a C, when revising I struggle to know what to revise. What is your biggest tip to succeed in English Lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelabaraky)
    I'm currently on a C, when revising I struggle to know what to revise. What is your biggest tip to succeed in English Lit?
    I think quotes are the most important thing. Revise as many quotes as possible that are relevant to themes, and you'll be able to apply them to a multitude of questions. But you need to be able to analyse well, try picking quotes with specific literary techniques. E.g. In a streetcar named desire (idk if you study this but it seems like a good one to go with)
    In a streetcar named desire, Stanley kowalski is a personified representation of the male patriarchy in America. Upon sexually assaulting Blanche, he states 'we've had this date from the beginning.' Williams' use of the word date insinuates consent that is not there, which is furthermore exemplified by the collective we.
    Do you see? I hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    I think quotes are the most important thing. Revise as many quotes as possible that are relevant to themes, and you'll be able to apply them to a multitude of questions. But you need to be able to analyse well, try picking quotes with specific literary techniques. E.g. In a streetcar named desire (idk if you study this but it seems like a good one to go with)
    In a streetcar named desire, Stanley kowalski is a personified representation of the male patriarchy in America. Upon sexually assaulting Blanche, he states 'we've had this date from the beginning.' Williams' use of the word date insinuates consent that is not there, which is furthermore exemplified by the collective we.
    Do you see? I hope this helped
    Yeah, I do study Streetcar Thanks for the help, I'll definitely take it into consideration

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have an A in English Literature at AS Level but want to achieve an A* in my final year. What do you think I should focus on to ensure that grade ? The trouble is that my AS papers had a break-up of A and B, which I'm guessing would be a low A.

I'm currently studying Death of a Salesman, The White Tiger, Othello and Rossetti's poetry by the way.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gadgetmaniah)
    Hey,

I have an A in English Literature at AS Level but want to achieve an A* in my final year. What do you think I should focus on to ensure that grade ? The trouble is that my AS papers had a break-up of A and B, which I'm guessing would be a low A.

I'm currently studying Death of a Salesman, The White Tiger, Othello and Rossetti's poetry by the way.

Thanks
    I would say, when you get your essays back, to ask your teacher which criteria you're not hitting in terms of A1,A02 etc. If it's the in depth analysis, really pick out those specific words and literary techniques, link this to context, tentatively give an opinion. Critical reading of the texts you study could be helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.