Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Now I know that there are many paths that an analyst in M and A could take but I feel that as someone who is not a great sales guy, being an MD and basically selling and building client relationships at the bar all day isn't really for me. I don't mind selling and building client relationships but I would want a significant proportion of my time to spent on excel or on the phone instead of travelling and meeting clients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    Now I know that there are many paths that an analyst in M and A could take but I feel that as someone who is not a great sales guy, being an MD and basically selling and building client relationships at the bar all day isn't really for me. I don't mind selling and building client relationships but I would want a significant proportion of my time to spent on excel or on the phone instead of travelling and meeting clients.
    private equity / merger arbs / hedge funds.. tbh any job you are Jr in (even M&A) you'll be doing this kinda stuff. when you're more senior responsibility will shift to generating revenue because you become too expensive and banks need to make a return at the end of the day and the way to do that is bring in revenue via onboarding & maintaining client relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Finance careers are all sales when you reach the top. Sorry to say it but if you don't like clients and relationships then it's best to choose a different path

ReputationRep:
    Finance jobs (banking, investments, private equity) are all sales jobs at the end of the day. When you move up past the analyst level than you'll be focusing on meeting new clients and maintaining relationships, making sure that business flows. It's the people who are starting out that do the 'analysis' stuff and work on excel. Perhaps go for a different career like technology or back office if you don't want to or cannot do sales and relationship management because that's essentially what finance jobs are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    Quantitative Analytics or a Technology related role within a bank are solid bets. Corporate Development is less "sales" but you'll still have a lot of stakeholders to deal with. A Research role might also be a slightly better fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.