Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to let a boy down gently? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm really close with a male friend of mine. We talk a lot, and he's helped me with a lot of things. However, I only see him as a friend, and I only ever have. The issue is that he sees me as more, and every two months or so, he'll try to bring up the subject of us becoming a couple. Each time, I try to be kind and say I'm not looking for anything relationship-wise at the moment. But he still hasn't taken the hint to stop trying. It's making things quite awkward between us, and I really don't want to lose him as a friend. Help?

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him straight that you don't see him as a potential partner, and if he can't accept it then it's on him

ReputationRep:
    A strong rope and a solid anchor should do the trick
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    "You're like a brother to me"

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest. Just come straight out. You've obviously tried implying nothing's gunna happen several times so at this point letting him down easy isn't an option. As a result you have two options. 1. Carry on rejecting him every time he makes a move for god knows how long but probably stay friends. 2. Tell him the truth be honest and to the point and perhaps even a little harsh. And tell him not to ask you out again in that way. Hopefully you can stay friends but no promises and if he continues to try it on. It would be in your best interests to cut him off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Sorted.
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpgheartburn.jpg (5.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    This is not your fault, he's clearly in the wrong. You told him you only see him as a friend so he should **** off.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit:

You can't expect him to be friends with you if he has feelings for you. So you can't have it both ways, you need to tell him that you can't see him and talk to him if he still has feelings for you. It will be good for both of you in the long-run even if it hurts in the short-run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)

Sorted.
    Can confirm pretty much every lad ever sees this as the final nail in the coffin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    This is not your fault, he's clearly in the wrong. You told him you only see him as a friend so he should **** off.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit:

You can't expect him to be friends with you if he has feelings for you. So you can't have it both ways, you need to tell him that you can't see him and talk to him if he still has feelings for you. It will be good for both of you in the long-run even if it hurts in the short-run.
    Yeah loads have people have said that it'll be really hard to stay friends if I tell him straight. It's just getting to the point now where it's so annoying and it makes me feel guilty even though I'm not doing anything wrong :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.