Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mature student applying via UCAS - in a dire situation Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a 28 year old in full-time employment and here is my story:

I finished my A-levels (in English Literature and in AVCE Double Business Studies) and then went to De Montfort University in Leicester to study BA (Hons) English Literature.

I did not stay at Uni long, literally a few months in fact, did not pass any exams or coursework there (I dropped out due to personal reasons, I had things going on in my life at the time that I won't go into on here) and I ended up taking up a full-time job which I have retained to this very day, ten years later.

I am not happy with where I am in life, and leaving Uni has been the biggest regret of my life. Now, after much deep thought and being encouraged (urged, even) by my mother and other family members, I have decided to get back to Uni whilst I am still at a young age and put things right.

I have applied via UCAS, which wanted me to list all of my qualifications from school. I was already over the Jan 15 deadline , and was very eager to submit my already late application, so despite not knowing where my exam certificates are (for both GCSEs and A-levels) I did enter the results in using my memory (I always remember what I got for Double Business but can't remember what I got for English Lit....I only know it was either a B or an A....I played it "safe" and entered the lower grade of B...).

Now, I am pretty sure that my mother has my GCSE certificates somewhere, although I am not certain. I have not got round to asking her yet. What I do know, however, is that I do not have my A-level certs ....when I was originally at Uni years ago in Leicester, I handed them in to a branch of Costa Coffee (I think it was) along with an application form for a part-time job...and never got a response and also never got my certificates back! I never thought at the time I would need the certs again so didn't bother going to ask if they had them and if I could have them back. Stupid, I know.

So my now very overwhelming fear is....that I may be made conditional offers (though to be honest I am expecting rejection) with the conditions being that I show my exam certs (either GCSE certs or A-level certs or perhaps both). I am hoping my mum does have the GCSEs, but what if not? As for my A-levels? I won't know what to do or say if I cannot provide this "proof".

I am sick, feeling physically sick with fear of having my dream of returning to Uni crushed because of my stupidity. I'm so scared, what are my options? I am praying that they will not request this, OR that I may be made at least one unconditional offer (extremely unlikely as a "mature student" applicant) because if they do and I cannot provide my certs, then I won't know what to do.....can someone advise on what to do here?

I'm very, very scared, upset and extremely distressed.....

ReputationRep:
    It's fairly certain that you will be asked for certification of all exam results declared as part of registration at University. However, not having the certificates isn't the problem here, necessarily - you can easily get hold of replacements. The important thing is this - were you accurate in your UCAS application with the exams taken and grades achieved? If the grades you declared, and upon which an offer is made and accepted, are accurate, then there's no problem - you've got plenty of time to get replacement certificates.

You do need to be accurate with a UCAS application, so it might be sensible to find the correct information out ASAP, so you can inform the universities to which you've applied via UCAS of any anomalies with your application promptly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiety2017)

I finished my A-levels (in English Literature and in AVCE Double Business Studies) and then went to De Montfort University in Leicester to study BA (Hons) English Literature.

I did not stay at Uni long, literally a few months in fact, did not pass any exams or coursework there (I dropped out due to personal reasons, I had things going on in my life at the time that I won't go into on here) and I ended up taking up a full-time job which I have retained to this very day, ten years later.

I am not happy with where I am in life, and leaving Uni has been the biggest regret of my life. Now, after much deep thought and being encouraged (urged, even) by my mother and other family members, I have decided to get back to Uni whilst I am still at a young age and put things right.

I have applied via UCAS, which wanted me to list all of my qualifications from school. I was already over the Jan 15 deadline , and was very eager to submit my already late application, so despite not knowing where my exam certificates are (for both GCSEs and A-levels) I did enter the results in using my memory (I always remember what I got for Double Business but can't remember what I got for English Lit....I only know it was either a B or an A....I played it "safe" and entered the lower grade of B...).

Now, I am pretty sure that my mother has my GCSE certificates somewhere, although I am not certain. I have not got round to asking her yet. What I do know, however, is that I do not have my A-level certs ....when I was originally at Uni years ago in Leicester, I handed them in to a branch of Costa Coffee (I think it was) along with an application form for a part-time job...and never got a response and also never got my certificates back! I never thought at the time I would need the certs again so didn't bother going to ask if they had them and if I could have them back. Stupid, I know.

So my now very overwhelming fear is....that I may be made conditional offers (though to be honest I am expecting rejection) with the conditions being that I show my exam certs (either GCSE certs or A-level certs or perhaps both). I am hoping my mum does have the GCSEs, but what if not? As for my A-levels? I won't know what to do or say if I cannot provide this "proof".

I am sick, feeling physically sick with fear of having my dream of returning to Uni crushed because of my stupidity. I'm so scared, what are my options? I am praying that they will not request this, OR that I may be made at least one unconditional offer (extremely unlikely as a "mature student" applicant) because if they do and I cannot provide my certs, then I won't know what to do.....can someone advise on what to do here?

https://www.gov.uk/replacement-exam-...who-to-contact

It isn't free (about £40 per certificate - but for GCSEs that's probably only going to be 1 or 2 depending on how many exam boards you took your exams with) and it can take a month or so - so ask your mum ASAP and if not get in touch with your exam boards and order replacements.

ReputationRep:
    So they will certainly request them? Oh, dear.....Can you advise on how I get hold of replacements? I've heard it's not as simple as contacting your old school and asking for them? I would need to contact exams boards ..... If I cannot find GCSEs (I did quite a number of them) I wouldn't be able to get in touch with exams boards necessarily because I wouldn't be able to recall who they were......

ReputationRep:
    This is part of the reason I'm glad I'm playing it safe and waiting until the start of UCAS '18 entry... Not only does it give me slightly more time to figure out courses etc., but I didn't realise until they turned up this morning that I had "mislaid" my certificates. Oh the fun of independent/mature applications and having no real input from teachers etc. telling you what to do when Anyway, that was an aside.

If you can remember what exam board(s) the certificates were issued by, they should be able to issue you with a statement of grades which although not as official as a proper certificate, should be proof enough to anyone needing to see what you got, even if it means they'll then have to independently verify with the boards.
    • Very Important Poster

I see youve been answered already, but theres nothing to be distressed or worried about. Simply contact either your exam officer at your old school to confirm the dates and which exam boards or contact the exam boards for replacements. As pointed out there is a fee, but compelet within your control. there is no need to panic and its a common request .

ReputationRep:
    40 quid a certificate.....it's not looking good for me at all, there is no way that I can afford that amount for so many certificates . Thinking it's time to give up on the dream.....
    • Very Important Poster

So they will certainly request them? Oh, dear.....Can you advise on how I get hold of replacements? I've heard it's not as simple as contacting your old school and asking for them? I would need to contact exams boards ..... If I cannot find GCSEs (I did quite a number of them) I wouldn't be able to get in touch with exams boards necessarily because I wouldn't be able to recall who they were......
    Contact your old school and find out which exam boards. They will know. They mau even have your candidate number.
    Contact the relevant exam board and give them some details such as name and dates you attended. They will be able to identify you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    40 quid a certificate.....it's not looking good for me at all, there is no way that I can afford that amount for so many certificates . Thinking it's time to give up on the dream.....
    It's unlikely you'll need more than 2 (maximum 3) GCSE certificates from the exam boards....there's only 4 exam boards in total and schools tend to use 1 or 2 for most of their GCSE exams.

Ask your mum if she has them.

If not then ask your class mates (the class swots on facebook who will have a special certificates folder) which exam boards your school did GCSEs with then put in an order.

Contact your universities to explain that your GCSE grades were estimates (and low ones) based on memory and that you're ordering replacements. You're not likely to need them until enrolment in the Autumn.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, will check with my mother first and if she doesn't have them then I'll need to think about getting in touch with my former secondary school and asking for candidate number or exam boards. Will definitely need to do it for my A-levels as I do not have them for definite......this is so stressful, I wouldn't wish this on any of you.

ReputationRep:
    I should, instead, perhaps opt for gaining a "certified statement of results", as the cost for one of these shouldn't be as much as a number of individual certificates?

ReputationRep:
    You're certainly not the first student who has mislaid or just lost his certificates! The bright side here is that you've found out about it now, rather than when you're just about to register at Uni.

Don't give up on the dream just for this - you've clearly come far. Just a little administrative problem that, I"m sure, can be easily solved.
    • Very Important Poster

Ok, will check with my mother first and if she doesn't have them then I'll need to think about getting in touch with my former secondary school and asking for candidate number or exam boards. Will definitely need to do it for my A-levels as I do not have them for definite......this is so stressful, I wouldn't wish this on any of you.
    Its stressful because you havent dealt with your anxiety issues. For anyone else its just a minor inconvenience. If you are going back to uni then do be sure you are able to deal with the stress. That might mean the pressure of doing work, having to engage with people, dealing with some you dont like, homesickness and making friends. You shouldnt let anxiety ruin your degree experience.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, £40 per certificate may be a lot but for what you need them for it's definitely worth the money. Then there's always the chance they won't ask you for them. If they do though, you can explain the situation and say it'll take a month to get them to them.

Or, if you really really can't afford it save up till next application cycle and apply then. You've waited till now you can wait an extra year.

ReputationRep:
    Reality Check (and others) - thank you so much for your comforting words, and will take all your advice and also keep you up to date!

999tigger - I can deal with coursework/exam/academic stress, being away from home and dealing with people types of stress with no problem. I'm stressed big time with this because I have an absolute desire to return to University, my dream course too (not English Literature this time) and to think that it could all be at stake because of this , is very distressing to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabby888)
    Honestly, £40 per certificate may be a lot but for what you need them for it's definitely worth the money. Then there's always the chance they won't ask you for them. If they do though, you can explain the situation and say it'll take a month to get them to them.

Or, if you really really can't afford it save up till next application cycle and apply then. You've waited till now you can wait an extra year.
    No, there is really very little chance that they won't ask for them at registration - it's a standard procedure.

ReputationRep:
    Reality Check (and others) - thank you so much for your comforting words, and will take all your advice and also keep you up to date!

999tigger - I can deal with coursework/exam/academic stress, being away from home and dealing with people types of stress with no problem. I'm stressed big time with this because I have an absolute desire to return to University, my dream course too (not English Literature this time) and to think that it could all be at stake because of this , is very distressing to me.
    Good - do keep us up to date. And I wish you all the best (and thank you for the beautifully polite posts - they make a nice change)
    • Very Important Poster

You are exerting that stress on yourself and making a mountain out of a mole hill. Its simply a case of contacting x people as explained and paying a bit of money to get replacements. They deal with this all the time. Give yourself a rest from the stress and do whats been suggested first before worrying.

http://www.aqa.org.uk/contact-us/pas...t-certificates
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...tificates.html
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/ocr-for/learne...-certificates/

Get the certifiates as you could need them in future and a statement of results might not be adequate.

ReputationRep:
    Reality Check , you are so very welcome. Would you recommend that I pursue a "certified statement of results" or getting the actual certificates?

With regards to informing the Universities who may (or may not, as the case may be) make me offers - do I inform them of this now or should I do it only in the event that I receive offers?

Thanks ever so much, once more

ReputationRep:
    It's per exam board as you'll get a certified copy of results from all the exams you took on that board, not one certificate per subject. These are accepted by Universities as proof, I used them myself.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.