Turn on thread page Beta

Mature student applying via UCAS - in a dire situation watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiety2017)
    Reality Check , you are so very welcome. Would you recommend that I pursue a "certified statement of results" or getting the actual certificates?

With regards to informing the Universities who may (or may not, as the case may be) make me offers - do I inform them of this now or should I do it only in the event that I receive offers?

Thanks ever so much, once more
    I think getting the certificates are your best bet - you'll very possibly need to use them in the future anyway so it's probably best to have them.

I think it's very important to tell the universities now, so they're aware of the situation and can make decisions accordingly. Just be as open and honest with them as you've been with us, and you'll be fine. It's obvious to me that you're not trying to deceive the universities into thinking you've done better than you have, or that you've taken exams which you haven't. But they can only make decisions and offers based on accurate information. So best to tell them straightaway.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I shall e-mail every one of the Universities now.

I do wonder, though, if they will deem this as negative and I worry that, despite a fairly good personal statement in which I explain my passion for my chosen course subject, and a positive reference....if this little situation I have myself in will end up forcing them to ignore all of that and make a decision based on my hiccup here.....they may be annoyed/angered that I submitted results without having the certs in front of me (and, I would not blame them).

ReputationRep:
    Reality Check - p.s. I like your picture. What is that creature with the Union Flag painted on it? Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiety2017)
    40 quid a certificate.....it's not looking good for me at all, there is no way that I can afford that amount for so many certificates . Thinking it's time to give up on the dream.....
    No don't!! It's not £40 per exam. It's per certificate. Lots of schools used one or two exam boards. If you sat 5 exams with one board they'll be on the same certificate.
    Equally if your family is so supportive can they lend you what in the scheme of things is a small amount until your finance comes through? Please please don't give up!!

ReputationRep:
    Another alternative is to contact the school you studied at to see if that can validate your exam results. I am also a mature student (32) so had no idea where my certificates were. I contacted my school and they sent a validation email directly to the universities to clarify my grades. Obviously all institutes are different so I would advise to check that this would be ok with the university you are applying to but it saves you spending a load of money on certificates.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.