Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone explain the differences between the different types of validity when evaluating?
Hasanalm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Internal validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How true are the findings from within the study'. For example, in a study, the behaviour shown by participants may of been due to demand characteristics.This makes us question the extent of how far their behaviour is the result of the independent variable. Thus, the study lacks internal validity.

External validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How far can these findings be generalised from beyond the study'. For example, a study may have focused on college students. As these students all share similar ages, it would be hard to generalise to other age groups and due to this, this study will lack external validity.

Ecological validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How far can such findings be applicable to real life everyday situations'. For example, a study have a used memory tasks when examining the the duration of the short term store. As memory tasks are not often encountered in ones everyday life, the study may lack ecological validity due to this.

These are the 3 main types of validity I can think of.
Feel free to ask me anymore questions
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Hasanalm)
Internal validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How true are the findings from within the study'. For example, in a study, the behaviour shown by participants may of been due to demand characteristics.This makes us question the extent of how far their behaviour is the result of the independent variable. Thus, the study lacks internal validity.

External validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How far can these findings be generalised from beyond the study'. For example, a study may have focused on college students. As these students all share similar ages, it would be hard to generalise to other age groups and due to this, this study will lack external validity.

Ecological validity- When dealing with this type of validity, you want to ask yourself 'How far can such findings be applicable to real life everyday situations'. For example, a study have a used memory tasks when examining the the duration of the short term store. As memory tasks are not often encountered in ones everyday life, the study may lack ecological validity due to this.

These are the 3 main types of validity I can think of.
Feel free to ask me anymore questions
Thank you so much! What about the different types of Internal Validity, is there much differences between them?
Hasanalm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kaltsr)
Thank you so much! What about the different types of Internal Validity, is there much differences between them?
From my knowledge all specs require you to just know this one type of internal validity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.63%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (850)
42.54%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.55%

Watched Threads