Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my mocks, I got a C on literally every exam, are there any tips on how to get these up to A's? It's English which I really struggle with, I've never gotten over a 5 in both lit and language

ReputationRep:
    English is a hard one to study. What I can say is look at the specification for all the subjects as it gives you all the content that you should know. Then keep practicing exam papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iLikeFood280201)
    In my mocks, I got a C on literally every exam, are there any tips on how to get these up to A's? It's English which I really struggle with, I've never gotten over a 5 in both lit and language
    Definitely for English what I did was practice, practice and practice exam papers. But since you guys are doing the new GCSE ask your teachers to give you practice questions annotate them and get them to mark it. For my Maths I would watch videos and do practice exam papers. Hope that helps😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and did my mocks recently too!
    English was my weakest subject too (Language 7 and Literature A) so not so much help with English - just really familiarise yourselves with the texts and do lots of practice essays/ papers
    Maths - practice papers
    Sciences - read textbook/ revision guide (make notes/ flash cards if you want - turning the facts into questions) and do practice papers
    Languages - familiarise yourself with specified vocab + grammar structures, find interesting expressions to throw into essays & conversation, write a few sentences on each topic you've learnt for your essay portion
    For the rest, I'm not really sure what you do, but if you want to say your other choices and I could say how I'm revising for them if I do it too (btw I got all A*s in my mocks except for English )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koala789)
    I'm in year 11 and did my mocks recently too!
    English was my weakest subject too (Language 7 and Literature A) so not so much help with English - just really familiarise yourselves with the texts and do lots of practice essays/ papers
    Maths - practice papers
    Sciences - read textbook/ revision guide (make notes/ flash cards if you want - turning the facts into questions) and do practice papers
    Languages - familiarise yourself with specified vocab + grammar structures, find interesting expressions to throw into essays & conversation, write a few sentences on each topic you've learnt for your essay portion
    For the rest, I'm not really sure what you do, but if you want to say your other choices and I could say how I'm revising for them if I do it too (btw I got all A*s in my mocks except for English )
    Doo you have a link to all the practice papers you did for maths? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother, universities only look at your top 8 GCSEs anyway. Pick your top 8 and revise this **** out of them, and you could get As and A*, and revise the others a good amount, but don't waste time on them. I'm going for 9A* then a B and a B/C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That'sGreat)
    Don't bother, universities only look at your top 8 GCSEs anyway. Pick your top 8 and revise this **** out of them, and you could get As and A*, and revise the others a good amount, but don't waste time on them. I'm going for 9A* then a B and a B/C
    why 9 A* when u just said unis only pick top 8

ReputationRep:
    It's possible to get decent grades by just doing loads of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcencima)
    why 9 A* when u just said unis only pick top 8
    Personal pride

ReputationRep:
    Personal pride
    Slippery Snake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatadon)
    Slippery Snake
    Confused Cat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatadon)
    Slippery Snake
    Confused Cat
    random reptile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I took 11 GCSE's last summer and ended up with straight A*'s. However, in my mock exams I got a C in chemistry, multiple B's, a few A's and just 2 A*'s. I didn't revise for my mock exams whatsoever, as they followed the Christmas holidays and I was abroad. Even so I was very surprised on results day when I got the grades I did. So yes, it is definitely possible to move up letter grades from mocks! For GCSE's the knowledge you need isn't nearly as in depth as A-Level - you simply need to know your spec inside out and it's a bit of a memory test to be honest. I learned my science (my worse subjects) specs inside out the night before exams and read the CGP guides (get them all, they got me the A*'S). Unless you really feel you need to, don't go about reading the huge textbooks school give you - the information is far too in depth next to the exams. The CGP guides, at GCSE, have it all. Do past papers in subjects, especially maths and science. You'll be able to expect what will come up and know what the examiners are looking for in science (use the mark scheme every time you do a science one) and you'll be able to knock out all the marks easily this way. Good luck - sure you will be fine!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.