Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Period Pain Is Killing Me Help! Watch

I am dying right now my period pain is killing me i honestly dont know what to do i am 16 and generally healthy so i dont understand the pain can you please give some tips that can save me please dont say warm water bottle that makes it worse and also dont say paracetamol because every month i cant just be having paracetamol's now can i. My mum just says i am overreacting but i am not my pain really kills me not only that i feel sick and cold but sweaty, dizzy and tired and loads of other things someone please help...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's GP time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am dying right now my period pain is killing me i honestly dont know what to do i am 16 and generally healthy so i dont understand the pain can you please give some tips that can save me please dont say warm water bottle that makes it worse and also dont say paracetamol because every month i cant just be having paracetamol's now can i. My mum just says i am overreacting but i am not my pain really kills me not only that i feel sick and cold but sweaty, dizzy and tired and loads of other things someone please help...
    Why can't you take paracetamol? I've always found ibuprofen is better for period pain because it's anti-imflammatory

My GP gave me Mefenamic acid tablets for my cramps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Try peppermint (tablets or tea). It is very good for cramps and was even given to me by nurses after surgery to help with the pain. I find it more effective than painkillers and it has the added bonus that it isn't a drug (I assume your issue with paracetamol is not wanting to be taking drugs on a regular basis). You can find tea anywhere like tesco and tablets at a pharmacy.

I also suggest you see your gp. Although period pain is normal, severe pain during your period can be an indicator of health issues like endometriosis, PCOS or even gut issues like IBS. Your description and your mum saying that you are overreacting suggest that your experience is probably not normal period pain.
    If you do have an issue it is not only good to know in case it is causing problems, but it can help your doctor give you effective pain relief when you have your periods. You could also consider the option of taking a contraceptive pill that would stop your periods- no period no pain.

If you are in severe pain though it is not a bad idea to take painkillers- at least until you see a doctor and see if there is a better option. I realise it is not ideal to be reliant on medication, but sometimes it is necessary.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear you're suffering from really bad period pains I found that the best painkiller for period pain was Naproxen. It's a strong NSAID (anti-iflammatory like ibuprofen) and I think you can only get them from your doctor but they work wonders for periods. Paracetamol are awful for any kind of pain in my experience, let alone for period pain that has you in tears.

Until you can get naproxen, a hot bath or hot water bottle and ibuprofen are a good try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If it is causing you to feel unwell then seeing the GP is definitely an option as there are a number of things that you can try. In the mean time I sometimes find buscopan (which you can buy over the counter) helpful for severe cramps. Might be worth a try?

There are loads of different things you can try! Perhaps you could take some ibuprofen with the paracetamol, i've always found paracetamol pretty useless for cramps. You can also try ginger tea, ginger biscuits, even ginger sweets. Anything ginger will help with the sickness, and anything peppermint should relieve the cramps a bit more.

If they really are unbearable every month I would go to the GP. I went to my GP for the same reason and they put me on birth control, since going on the pill i've barely had cramps at all. It's worth going to see what your options are, even if its only stronger painkillers.

Feel better soon!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.