The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni for a job as a barristers clerk?

I'm currently in my second year of a law degree at a good Russell group uni. I did well in my a levels, but for some reason I've struggled since the start with this law degree, only scraping 2.1s at the best. I have just completed my January exams and I know that they did not go very well. This has left me wondering if I'm cut out for a law degree. I have an interview with a top London barristers chambers to become a barristers clerk, and although obviously I probably won't get the job, if I do I'm seriously considering dropping out and taking the job.

I have excellent friends at uni who I would miss so much though

I'm not sure what to do

Please advise
Getting 2.1s isn't scraping through! Most people end up with one and do very well in life. That said you don't need a law degree to do law. Maybe see how far down the application process you get with the job and then consider dropping out. Bear in mind that a degree will still open a lot of doors. What's your back up plan if you drop out and don't get this job?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd personally stick it out, you might get the law clerk job but would there be much room for progression without having a degree? Especially if you wanted to stay in the law industry
I'd carry on with your degree, you're doing well! You'll end up with a better job in the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd try and stick it out. A 2.1 is a good result and having a degree will open many doors for you down the line that you will be glad of, it's not that much longer to grin and bear it.
Surely the smart play would be to finish university, and then apply for a job as a barrister's clerk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending