The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Homegrownkitten
.... vegan :biggrin:
Anybody else vegan? Got any advice or cool recipes?

Why vegan and not vegetarian?

Quorn have some nice stuff.
NDGAARONDI
Why vegan and not vegetarian?

Quorn have some nice stuff.

I am already a veggie but I like a challange. Im doing it for a few reasons: health, to lose a few pounds and because I dont want to support the dairy industry. Unfortunatley Quorn uses eggs and milk in most products which is a shame because I really like most of their products.
Reply 3
Homegrownkitten
.... vegan :biggrin:
Anybody else vegan? Got any advice or cool recipes?

I was for about 2 months but then went back to being vegetarian. I love Quorn too much. But i hardly ever eat eggs or drink milk on its own.
There seems to be some good recipes on http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/
I'm gonna sound like the meat eaters who always annoyingly say "how can you become a vegetarian", still - dairy is in like everything, right?
Reply 5
"I like a challenge" you say. So go hangliding! Don't muck up your diet so that you wither away into nothingness!
damn hippies.
Homegrownkitten
I am already a veggie but I like a challange.

Do you see it as a challenge though?

Homegrownkitten
Im doing it for a few reasons: health, to lose a few pounds

What about exercise and other methods? You don't have to eat fatty dairy products, since you can get low fat ones, such as milk and cheese.

Homegrownkitten
and because I dont want to support the dairy industry.

Why?

Homegrownkitten
Unfortunatley Quorn uses eggs and milk in most products which is a shame because I really like most of their products.

Indeed. I sometimes have their stuff and I'm not a vegeterian. Though I'll be happy to go veggie at uni.
happysunshine
I'm gonna sound like the meat eaters who always annoyingly say "how can you become a vegetarian", still - dairy is in like everything, right?

Dairy is in a lot of things but there are many non-dairy alternatives at health food shops. My friend is a vegan and doesnt find it too difficalt.

Wise One
"I like a challenge" you say. So go hangliding! Don't muck up your diet so that you wither away into nothingness!

I dont want to sound all preachy but too much meat and dairy is not that healthy and people survive just fine without. Also, it would take a while for me and my 'spare tyre' to waste away into nothingness
Homegrownkitten
I dont want to sound all preachy but too much meat and dairy is not that healthy and people survive just fine without.

How do veggies and vegans make up for their iron? I was told that I could end up going iron defficient if I went veggie. That's going a bit far really.
NDGAARONDI
Do you see it as a challenge though?

Yes.

What about exercise and other methods? You don't have to eat fatty dairy products, since you can get low fat ones, such as milk and cheese.

I swim 3 times a week and go to an aerobics class onec a week so I get plenty of excercise.

Why?

Dairy cows and their calves get separated too early after birth which must be torture for both. The welfare of dairy cattle must be among the worst of all factory farmed species.

Indeed. I sometimes have their stuff and I'm not a vegeterian. Though I'll be happy to go veggie at uni.

Great, glad to hear that :biggrin:
NDGAARONDI
How do veggies and vegans make up for their iron? I was told that I could end up going iron defficient if I went veggie. That's going a bit far really.

My friend did go iron deficient so her doc put her on supplements. You can get iron from whole grains (wholemeal bread, pasta etc) dried fruit and dark green veg like spinach :smile:
Reply 12
www.vegweb.com (or possibly .co.uk??? but I think not)

Good luck! I'm a vegetarian but I could never manage being a vegan, I eat Quorn too regularly!
Reply 13
Homegrownkitten
My friend did go iron deficient so her doc put her on supplements. You can get iron from whole grains (wholemeal bread, pasta etc) dried fruit and dark green veg like spinach :smile:

yeah. I'm veggie and make sure I eat things like that and have eggs for protein (as I will only eat fish i.e. tuna is my mum makes me).
I couldn't be a vegan tho - it strikes me as being a terribly dull diet!
rednirt
yeah. I'm veggie and make sure I eat things like that and have eggs for protein (as I will only eat fish i.e. tuna is my mum makes me).
I couldn't be a vegan tho - it strikes me as being a terribly dull diet!

That is what I thought but I spent the weekend with a vegan friend and she showed me that it isnt dull at all. I had all sorts including chips n ketchup (my fave :biggrin: ). For my lunch today I had a salad sandwich (which I normally have anyway) and am now munching away on a pack of Hobnobs :biggrin:
Reply 15
Homegrownkitten
That is what I thought but I spent the weekend with a vegan friend and she showed me that it isnt dull at all. I had all sorts including chips n ketchup (my fave :biggrin: ). For my lunch today I had a salad sandwich (which I normally have anyway) and am now munching away on a pack of Hobnobs :biggrin:

but what can you do for sauces... aside from tomato? I've often throught about vegan diets, but isn't the food very dry seeing as you can't use mayonnaise (wel, proper stuff anyway) or cheesey sauces or whatever... and wouldn't hobnobs have butter in them? :eek: :wink:
rednirt
but what can you do for sauces... aside from tomato? I've often throught about vegan diets, but isn't the food very dry seeing as you can't use mayonnaise (wel, proper stuff anyway) or cheesey sauces or whatever... and wouldn't hobnobs have butter in them? :eek: :wink:

I have only been doing this vegan thing seriously since last week so I dont really know about sauces n things. I have got some vegan mayo... it tastes a bit strange, but not disgusting in any way. The hobnobs are Co-op's own brand and it says they are vegan on the pack.
Reply 17
Homegrownkitten
I have only been doing this vegan thing seriously since last week so I dont really know about sauces n things. I have got some vegan mayo... it tastes a bit strange, but not disgusting in any way. The hobnobs are Co-op's own brand and it says they are vegan on the pack.

hehe, yeah that mayonnaise is weird... Holland & Barrett do loads of stuff for vegans. good luck to you :smile:
rednirt
hehe, yeah that mayonnaise is weird... Holland & Barrett do loads of stuff for vegans. good luck to you :smile:

Reply 19
I have noticed that more women than blokes are vegiie's etc. Is that true or am i missing something? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending