The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year?

I am in only in year 12 now but thinking about taking a gap year when I graduate. My thoughts are that I'll work full time (There's a high chance I will be able to at my current job - But is it easy to find a full time job when you're on a gap year?) as well as GCSE tutoring on the side. My parents are happy if I live with them rent free so I can save the money that i will be earning for University etc.

What are the pros and cons for this?
Original post by nicoledaysie
I am in only in year 12 now but thinking about taking a gap year when I graduate. My thoughts are that I'll work full time (There's a high chance I will be able to at my current job - But is it easy to find a full time job when you're on a gap year?) as well as GCSE tutoring on the side. My parents are happy if I live with them rent free so I can save the money that i will be earning for University etc.

What are the pros and cons for this?

The only con really is starting university later, but a gap year could be very beneficial.
It really depends on what type of job you want to do and your experience. If you want to work in the UK you should be able to find positions even if flexible and part time. A con might be you don't enjoy the experience and regret not heading straight into studying but you will never really know unless you apply. You might want to check out this article the pros and cons of taking a gap year. Have you also thought about working and also travelling a bit to make the whole experience more enjoyable? I hope you manage to decide soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest