Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seeing a GP about anxiety. What does it entail? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've been having difficulty with anxiety which has led me to miss most of my university lectures and therefore impacted my performance.

I've been told that I can get assistance for this, but I would need to visit a GP. My question is, what does this involve? I was told that I would need some sort of letter from my GP to be sent to the university to explain things. How do I get/ask for one of these? Is it something that can be done on the day or would I need to be referred to someone else?

Would they prescribe me some tablets or something or would they refer me to counselling, etc? I ask this because when I told the university counsellor about how I didn't want to adopt a 'label' or have to go through loads of procedures, they said that in going to the GP I could get help for my university issues but not take it any further if I didn't want to.

I was also given a DSA form which needs to be signed by a professional. What am I supposed to do with that?!

Any help is much appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiggly)
    Hello,
    I've been having difficulty with anxiety which has led me to miss most of my university lectures and therefore impacted my performance.

I've been told that I can get assistance for this, but I would need to visit a GP. My question is, what does this involve? I was told that I would need some sort of letter from my GP to be sent to the university to explain things. How do I get/ask for one of these? Is it something that can be done on the day or would I need to be referred to someone else?

Would they prescribe me some tablets or something or would they refer me to counselling, etc? I ask this because when I told the university counsellor about how I didn't want to adopt a 'label' or have to go through loads of procedures, they said that in going to the GP I could get help for my university issues but not take it any further if I didn't want to.

I was also given a DSA form which needs to be signed by a professional. What am I supposed to do with that?!

Any help is much appreciated.
    You go in, discuss your issues (like with any other appointment) and they may ask you to fill in a questionnaire about it- its something some doctors use so it's less awkward for you. Once they've gotten to the bottom of what you have they can suggest things. They may suggest therapy or medication, but you can refuses if you want. You can bring up the letter then too. Just ask for a letter so you can get support at uni- they will have done them before.
    You can tell them you don't want a big deal made or to be labelled or anything. They should be fine with just writing a note saying you are having some difficulties and could do with support.

I personally suggest you try therapy too, but it's up to you and you don't have to decide there and then- you can ask for info if you want to consider it. You may also find it helpful to look at mind.org and sane.org. They have info and advice on various mh issues including regarding doctors appointments.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions I can try to answer.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.