Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to construct an answer for why increasing the national minimum wage would lift people out of working poverty and boost the standard of living.

can someone help me construct an answer with sources and correct stats?

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a hard question, you should be able to do it.. google is helpful for statistics, refer to your textbook for the theory.. sorry but doing what you've asked would mean you're not learning or doing any work
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy7)
    I need to construct an answer for why increasing the national minimum wage would lift people out of working poverty and boost the standard of living.

Have a look online or in textbooks...

Personally, I would start of by thinking about the fact that everyone in work would have more money, thus helping to bring them out of poverty. However, the higher cost of hiring people may mean that unemployment goes up and the cost of products go up. etc.

ReputationRep:
    It is for my higher modern studies assignment and as one of my points I need to write ways it would lift people out of poverty as I have already written about the other stuff. Any ideas of what to write?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammy7)

Use a standard supply demand graph that includes a price floor (which is what a NMW is). If you set the price floor above equilibrium (again, it's a safe assumption that a NMW is above equilibrium), you can argue that for those people who have jobs, they receive more money than they would under pure market conditions.

For evaluation, look at the flipside of NMW policies - i.e. that by no longer being at equilibrium, you create a surplus in supply and consequently have unemployment. It's also possible to argue that empirical evidence suggests the case for this flipside isn't terribly strong, or that the surplus in supply isn't particularly big (given that several countries have NMWs and pretty low unemployment).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.