Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B1112 - National Air Ambulance bill 2017 Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    National Air Ambulance Bill 2017, The Hon Hazzer1998 MP (Lib), The Rt Hon QuamQuam MP (Lab)

National Air Ambulance Bill 2017

An act to establish a government funded National Air Ambulance service that comes under responsibility of the department of transport.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows: -

Section 1: National Air Ambulance Service
    1) A Government funded Air Ambulance service shall be created
    2) It shall be named the “National Air Ambulance Service or “NAAS “For short
    3) All Current Air Ambulances shall be merged in the National Air Ambulance service
    4) It shall come under control of the Department for Transport.
    5) It shall be recognised as an emergency service

Section 2: Establishment
    1)In the section
    (I) “Property” shall be defined as “Any Equipment including Helicopters and land vehicles, medical equipment, Navigational and radio equipment operated by an air ambulance service”
    (ii) “Premises” Shall be defined as “Any Hangers, Helipads and Building and bases in which the Air ambulances service operate from in the United Kingdom “
    (iii) “Employees” shall be defined as “Any pilot, engineer and support staff that are employed by air ambulance service”
    2) All Property shall come under ownership of the National Air Ambulance service3, All Premises shall come under ownership of the National Air ambulance service
    3) All Employees shall now be employed by the National Air Ambulance

Section 3:Costing
    1) £10,000 Per flight (With around 4 calls out per day averaging a daily cost of approximately £40,000 just for flying
    2) Average costing of £2.3 Million a year to run an air ambulance with 23 Air Ambulances in the UK the average cost of all air ambulances services in the UK at £52.9 Million
    3) £40,000 x 365 x 23 = 335800000(4) See Notes for more detailed costing and working out

Section 4: Commencement, short title and extent
    1) This Act may be cited as the National Air Ambulance Air 2016.
    2)This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland
    3) This Act shall come in to force on the 1st January 2020.

Notes

This bill sets the guidelines to establish a government funding National Air Ambulance. All existing air ambulances shall be merged to make the National Air Ambulance Service (NAAS). The department for transport will have overall responsibility over the service.

Costing

Average Cost of one flight = £10,000 with around 4 call outs per day per service this equals (On average £40,000 per day per service) Or £280,000 per week. Times this by 52 that equals £14,560,000 per years, Times £14,560,000 by how many air ambulances services there in the UK ( 23 ) Equals £334,880,000 for flights each year for all the air ambulances Average cost for flying per air ambulance service = £14,560,000(Per year) Other average costs to run an air ambulance = £2.3 Million per year times the 23 air ambulance services in the United Kingdom equals £52,900,000 per year £334,880,000 (Average flying cost for all air ambulance services ) + £52,900,000 ( Other costs to run all 23 services = £387,780,000
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I very much support the principle. It's ridiculous that we are reliant upon charitable organisations to provide this service.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

Aye, makes sense!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What's the costing for buying the helicopters and equipment from the charities that currently own them? If it's going to be a national service is it not worth standardising on a couple of models to simplify maintenance etc.? (A single model would be vulnerable to groundings). Who will determine taskings? I'm not averse to the idea. It may also be worth considering whether to integrate it with the civilian SAR contract.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't this already done? Iirc I submitted a bill/motion on the matter years back.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

Having numerous charities owning our air ambulances is needless bureaucracy I think; having it standardised under the DoT is a good thing.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure who 'QuamQuam MP' is but I am strongly in support of this bill.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    aye
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Aye. hazzer1998 the government agreed to sponsor this a long time ago, what gives? My advice on costing was not just from the goodness of my heart.

ReputationRep:

Airmed Airhead
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)

Airmed Airhead
    I saw this in my notifications and knew it was going to be this, my dear sir LP. :rofl: Best meme to come out of the MHoC.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Why DfT?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but also wondering why this isn't under DoH

ReputationRep:
    Nay, this is something that should be fully private, whether for profit or charity. Cue the accusations of heartlessness
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I support this in principle but would like to see a role for charitable contributions maintained to support the overall budget and contribution from central government.

The charities currently responsible for air ambulances should be maintained if possible to continue raising awareness and funds.

PS. Absolutely brilliant meme from Life_peer!
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Aye - makes perfect sense to me. Also, that meme is bloody hilarious Life_peer :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye, but the costing is wrong, it will not take long for the costs to spiral as the government imposes targets, new policies, and reforms to make it a less efficient, more costly service to run.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Aye, but the costing is wrong, it will not take long for the costs to spiral as the government imposes targets, new policies, and reforms to make it a less efficient, more costly service to run.
    I thought you weren't in favour of charity nationalisation?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I thought you weren't in favour of charity nationalisation?
    I would favour having the services contracted out to a private company who can run things properly because a charity situation is not ideal for something comparable to a public good.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.