Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi posting for advice.

I have been working for a Garden Nursery as a housekeeper this involved potwashing, cleaning staff areas and public areas.

This job is located 20 miles from my home address of which when I originally started the job I cummuted by motorbike daily 40 hours per week 8am till 5pm

In November 2016 I had a traffic accident and my bike was written off not enough funds to replace the motorbike.

I arranged as temporary measure to catch public transport at a cost of £40 per week had to catch 2 buses every day starting at
    First bus out is 5.55am got me to the town for 6.45am and then had to catch another bus at 6.55am to get me to my job this bus was always late or bus never arrived. Then I have to finish work earlier as my last buses out to get me home is 5.30 or 6.35 and this is the same route I do in the morning.

My boss has today said he would sack me as this is not ideal being late and is not ethical as I'm having to finish work earlier which jobs not being done. I contacted the job centre made them aware they said I have made myself intentionally unemployed??? And won't be able to claim benefits and i would get a sanction.

Any help on this would be really appreciated as my 2 weeks notice started today.
    Travelling from
    Gainsborough, Linc's to Doncaster FrenchGate then from Doncaster FrenchGate to Blaxton

Thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dst3023)
    J-SP who might have a view

I'd speak to your Boss, and if they are accommodating (and I don't think it can come back to bite them) ask for a letter making it clear that they are terminating your contract, against your wishes, because the hours they require you to work cannot accommodate the flexibility you have asked for. The employer is quite entitled to do that, especially if you don't disagree, and that makes it clear to anyone else that this was against your wishes. I can't immediately see why that wouldn't work, but it's been a long day!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be much help on this unfortunately as haven't really had to deal with something like this before. Agree with the advice above though, seems the most logical thing to do.

Maybe speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau too to see if they can provide any guidance on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'm not going to be much help on this unfortunately as haven't really had to deal with something like this before. Agree with the advice above though, seems the most logical thing to do.

Maybe speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau too to see if they can provide any guidance on this.
    Thanks will look into this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    J-SP who might have a view

I'd speak to your Boss, and if they are accommodating (and I don't think it can come back to bite them) ask for a letter making it clear that they are terminating your contract, against your wishes, because the hours they require you to work cannot accommodate the flexibility you have asked for. The employer is quite entitled to do that, especially if you don't disagree, and that makes it clear to anyone else that this was against your wishes. I can't immediately see why that wouldn't work, but it's been a long day!
    Have another meeting tomorrow to discuss my options and will mention this. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you can't do the contracted hours, the employer has the right to terminate your contract as blunt as that sounds.

That said, there's proper channels and a reasonable duty of care assigned to them. It's unreasonable to pre-empt your termination of employment without an investigation and going through the informal/formal processes as per employment legislation and company policy. That said, we don't know your specific circumstances so can't advise..

Two things I'd suggest: contact ACAS who provide free advice on disputes like this. And stop finishing work early since flexible working clearly isn't valued by your employer. It may mean the wait of an hour at home time, but the alternative is unemployment.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    If you can't do the contracted hours, the employer has the right to terminate your contract as blunt as that sounds.

That said, there's proper channels and a reasonable duty of care assigned to them. It's unreasonable to pre-empt your termination of employment without an investigation and going through the informal/formal processes as per employment legislation and company policy. That said, we don't know your specific circumstances so can't advise..

Two things I'd suggest: contact ACAS who provide free advice on disputes like this. And stop finishing work early since flexible working clearly isn't valued by your employer. It may mean the wait of an hour at home time, but the alternative is unemployment.

Good luck.

Thanks for your input I have to leave early as the last bus to my town is 6.30 sometimes when I never had to rely on buses I used to finish for after 5 and went to get bus I have missed it. My travelling time is 2 hours the reason why I need to be there I missed the 5.30 bus on Tuesday because it broke down and there is no contract in place

ReputationRep:
    Withdraw your notice and force them to sack you, otherwise you won't be entitled to claim benefits if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Withdraw your notice and force them to sack you, otherwise you won't be entitled to claim benefits if you need to.
    I haven't given any notice, Im Given 2 weeks by notice by my employer because of the above transport issues and that it's not feesable for me to leave earlier to catch the last bus due to the environment I work in.

ReputationRep:
    Are cleaning roles that difficult to get nowadays? I'm pretty sure you don't have to go through that row with your former employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dst3023)
    I haven't given any notice, Im Given 2 weeks by notice by my employer because of the above transport issues and that it's not feesable for me to leave earlier to catch the last bus due to the environment I work in.
    Sorry I misunderstood.

If your contract has been terminated involuntarily then you haven't made yourself unemployed. Make it clear to them that you've been sacked due to not having access to transport to work the hours that the employer requires. As said above ask your employer for your termination to be confirmed in writing explaining the reason why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Sorry I misunderstood.

If your contract has been terminated involuntarily then you haven't made yourself unemployed. Make it clear to them that you've been sacked due to not having access to transport to work the hours that the employer requires. As said above ask your employer for your termination to be confirmed in writing explaining the reason why.
    Thanks much appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.