Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a surgeon when I grow up. So what GCSE subjects should I be choosing?

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you do triple science and as much maths as you can. Other than that subject choices don't really matter at gcse, just try to stick to facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui Pei)
    I want to be a surgeon when I grow up. So what GCSE subjects should I be choosing?
    English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Geography
    History
    French OR Spanish OR German
    Religious Studies
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rui Pei)
    Really, just choose subjects that you enjoy, can do well in and show a good range of knowledge. Triple science is by far preferable to double science if you want to be a surgeon but the rest is up to you. Just make sure you don't choose too many more creative options but one or two is fine. If you have to choose between history and geography, just choose your favourite. Having done both, geography is more scientific but you won't be disadvantaged by taking history. At our school we did a unit on the history of medicine which was interesting and might appeal to you. A language is always good to have, but don't choose it if you don't think you can succeed. So basically, just choose options that you think you'll enjoy, do well in and keep your options open if you change your mind.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    DON'T WORRY, i am also at this stage - just go with what you like best and what you are good at, be sure to take biology and pe though!

ReputationRep:
    Literally, take what you think will be the easiest for you to get a good grade and that you'll enjoy. As silly as that sounds, that way, you can pay the most attention to it while not feeling stressed. If you get a few subjects which don't come naturally to you, you will find yourself stressed. Working hard at a couple to revise is fine, but I made the mistake of picking something I thought might be difficult - Law. I'm almost towards the end of that course and I can hand on heart say I was right. It's difficult and I don't enjoy it and there's nothing worse than that.

I want a career in medicine too but GCSEs themselves don't really matter - which subject it is definitely doesn't. The high grades count for such a well respected career - so take ones you enjoy, don't worry about what colleges and Unis look for - they in honesty don't really care what actual subject it was in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    The most important subjects for Medicine are Biology, Chemistry and Maths - so picking triple science would be excellent. Languages are also well respected!

ReputationRep:
    Triple Science
    Maths
    Further Maths
    English Literature
    English Language
    1/2 Languages
    1/2 Humanities
    1/2 'Passion subjects' i.e. Latin, Greek, Computing, Drama, Art...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly your GCSEs don't matter too much. Triple Science is useful but is not a necessity, it just makes the A Level transition easier. I would suggest taking subjects you like and are good at. I would suggest taking at least one humanity, a language and a creative or "non-facilitating" subject such as Drama or Music or Sociology, something you like that gives you a break from all of your academic subjects. I also want to be a surgeon (or maybe oncologist) and take the compulsory (English Lang and Lit, Maths, Maths-Numeracy (Wales only), Triple Science, Religious Studies, Welsh Bacc, Welsh) and opted to do Geography, Spanish and Drama - there I have a humanity, a language and a creative subject. If Religious Studies isn't compulsory in your school, I would suggest it if you get a fourth/fifth choice, but obviously it isn't needed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.