Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in year 9 and I've got this pack called: EBacc. If you never heard about it then this means you're lucky. EBacc means that you have to pick a language and a humanity, which gives you only one option left...

So I'm kind of stuck between History and Geography. This is because I fin History pretty interesting but I'm better in Geography and I also enjoy this subject.

You may tell me to do both but actually I don't want to do both. Mainly because then I wouldn't be able to choose Drama and that's the only subjects I REALLY want to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikkko32)
    So I'm in year 9 and I've got this pack called: EBacc. If you never heard about it then this means you're lucky. EBacc means that you have to pick a language and a humanity, which gives you only one option left...

So I'm kind of stuck between History and Geography. This is because I fin History pretty interesting but I'm better in Geography and I also enjoy this subject.

You may tell me to do both but actually I don't want to do both. Mainly because then I wouldn't be able to choose Drama and that's the only subjects I REALLY want to get.
    I would say go for whichever you enjoy more at the moment, two years is a long time to be stuck doing a subject that you don't like

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You should do both
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

If you enjoy Geography and History and is better at Geography, choose Geography. However if you like History more, choose history. Would also depend on what you anticipate on doing in uni. History is honestly a bit more flexible.

Good luck on the EBacc! Heard it was a tough curriculum!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    If you enjoy Geography and History and is better at Geography, choose Geography. However if you like History more, choose history. Would also depend on what you anticipate on doing in uni. History is honestly a bit more flexible.

Good luck on the EBacc! Heard it was a tough curriculum!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate Ebacc... They make choices for you... so unfair :I

ReputationRep:
    I took history, and one thing I would say about that is DO NOT CHOOSE IT! (I'm in year 11 atm)

I would pick geography if I was in your position since you're better at it and enjoy it- you need the better grades.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

I hate Ebacc... They make choices for you... so unfair :I
    I'm doing IB man, on the same boat :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 doing history AQA and I really like it. At my school everyone started studying the GCSE courses for history and geography in year 9. Then I dropped geography because even though I liked the human geography topics like tourism interesting, I found the natural topics like tectonics reeeally boring. :/ But that's just me. I'd say if you prefer essay based subjects take history, if you prefer science/ maths take geography. But they are both respected subjects so go with whatever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just going to be honest history is harder and a more respected subject. It will get much more interesting if u chose it but also harder. Tbh it's only hard if u don't put work in. Geography is kinda interesting but tbh I found it quite boring by the end but it wasn't really academically challenging. It kinda helps if u know what u wanna do roughly at a level or uni cause then u Can choose best related to that. I did history and geography btw

ReputationRep:

I am currently in Year 11 and I chose Geography as one of my options in Year 9. In my opinion, I feel there is too much content (themes 1, 2 and 3) for Geography and I think I would have preferred to have studied History instead as I prefer essay writing. Also, I find Geography kinda boring lol and I think I would have been way more interested in History.

But that's just my opinion. So if you enjoy English, I would say to pick History. If you don't really enjoy English, then pick Geography. Hope it helps x

ReputationRep:

History.

ReputationRep:

If you really enjoy history and don't mind doing lots of writing like essays, go ahead with history.
    But if you prefer geography more where there's less essay writing and have an interest in the subject, you can do that.
    If you want to know what I chose I chose geography because I have a lower level in history and don't enjoy writing essays much plus I have a larger interest in geography and it's more relevant with what I want to do in the future.

ReputationRep:

I did geography and I LOVED IT SO MUCH. Before GCSE i wasnt really a fan, and don't know why I took it to be honest. I've now gone on to take it for A level!

The course work is STRESSFUL AS CAN BE, and you do have to go on a field trip, so bare this in mind. BUT, I really enjoyed the content of the course. I'd definitely recommend it x

ReputationRep:
    Go for geography. Learn about the world rather than our past!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.