Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Tried to find another thread on this and i couldn't. Just received a letter from a company called TELE TBS stating i owe them almost £50 for special rate phone calls - phone calls that i did not make. They seem to have my name, address and telephone number, which might i add is barred from calling 'special rate numbers.' I was cofused until i found a website that told me about their little scam. Just wanted to know if anyone else has received a bill like this and what they've done. :mad:

What I found

BBC report

ReputationRep:
    i told you not to make them dodgy phone calls.

ReputationRep:
    lol. im not like joe...it says the calls were made last thursday at bout 4pm, but i was out then. man i shouldnt even have to explain myself, my line's blocked from making those calls. i got their address...not a crappy PO Box thingy, wanna pay them a visit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chima)
    lol. im not like joe...it says the calls were made last thursday at bout 4pm, but i was out then. man i shouldnt even have to explain myself, my line's blocked from making those calls. i got their address...not a crappy PO Box thingy, wanna pay them a visit?
    *crack knuckles*

seriously though, that bbc report says they operate from an 0207 number; could SOMEONE have made those calls. someone ELSE in your home?

ReputationRep:
    i got a heavty bill. it was through the phone line. i know now that it was the internet that caused these special rate calls.

do you have broad band?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    *crack knuckles*

seriously though, that bbc report says they operate from an 0207 number; could SOMEONE have made those calls. someone ELSE in your home?
    :O hmmm...didnt think bout that. even if they were made, why were they billed to MY name??? this is some dodgy ish...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    looks like somebody who knows your name and address doesn't like you....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karan)
    i got a heavty bill. it was through the phone line. i know now that it was the internet that caused these special rate calls.

do you have broad band?
    no i havent...

check this out...

telegraph article

ReputationRep:
    read this from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland...te_calls.shtml
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chima)
    telegraph article
    the phone number of the person who made the call – it is a reference number on the bill
    Have you got this on your bill too? If so phone the bugger up and ask what he is playing at....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Have you got this on your bill too? If so phone the bugger up and ask what he is playing at....
    see that's where there's somethin different on my bill. the customer number is my number, but the reference is just '1'

i'll give em a call n see what thay say...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chima)
    see that's where there's somethin different on my bill. the customer number is my number, but the reference is just '1'

i'll give em a call n see what thay say...
    contact your phone company and get a full itemised bill for that number for the time period mentioned...

ReputationRep:
    contact your phone company and get a full itemised bill for that number for the time period mentioned...
    will do...thanks. i called them and spoke to a lady who said that it might have been my kids. I basically told her that I wasn't going to pay the bill because I hadnt made any calls and that I would check the BT bill when I got it before getting back to them. dad's not gonna be too happy when he hears bout this :confused:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Chima)
    will do...thanks. i called them and spoke to a lady who said that it might have been my kids. I basically told her that I wasn't going to pay the bill because I hadnt made any calls and that I would check the BT bill when I got it before getting back to them. dad's not gonna be too happy when he hears bout this :confused:
    Once you're 100% sure the phone calls weren't made from your phone then you should be fine - contact your local CAB and trading standards so that you've got some legal advice and they have another peice of evidence for their files.

*If* it turns out that the phone call was made from your phone but was made by a minor (ie someone under 18) then the company are in even more trouble...

ReputationRep:
    Once you're 100% sure the phone calls weren't made from your phone then you should be fine - contact your local CAB and trading standards so that you've got some legal advice and they have another peice of evidence for their files.

*If* it turns out that the phone call was made from your phone but was made by a minor (ie someone under 18) then the company are in even more trouble...
    damn girl u got the answer to everythin. thanks a lot...im not even worried anymore, jus more annoyed if anything. i'll jus leave it and let my dad deal with it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i told you not to make them dodgy phone calls.
    LOL

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2004
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.