Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where should I realistically be applying/what is my level: Grad job/internship Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnicholson88)
    Don't normally post but I'm just getting frustrated with the prospects of graduating and being unemployed.

TL;DR Graduating June 2017 with no summer internships lined up or grad job in finance sector. Should I keep applying for interns after graduating or apply to grad schemes. Or what alternatives to grad schemes are there

Long story short
    - Im a 4th year Economics & Politics student with a year abroad in Hong Kong
    - Russel group uni
    - Expecting to achieve a 2:1 - possibly a first depending on how January exams have gone
    - I have worked in retail banking, insight/work experience in a no name securities firm in London, and finance intern at the HQ for an international travel company in 3rd year summer

I've always thought I would go into the finance sector but have always been unsure on what area I would be most suited to and what roles have the best progression and opportunities (ie working overseas). Asset/investment management is one area I feel I would enjoy the most within the sector however I am struggling to make any progress with jobs and interns.

I've been told my CV and Cover Letters are good but so far I have made little progress. I have been targeting summer internships under the guise I would do a master's the following year, however my ambition is to gain a few internships over the next year and travel for a few months assuming I had found a full time job to start September etc.

I've applied across various sectors and roles and either been rejected in screening, or passed screening and not been offered any interviews. Bizarrely I did get an informal call from a top IB in DCM for their off-cycle however it was a poor interview and I was only asked to interview the night before.

Lots of internships are closing around now and I expect most positions will be filled by now, so I am wondering what to do. Should I graduate and aim to apply again to summer interns as soon as they open in August/September for a job in 9 months? Should I apply for grad schemes come September with no big internships and risk not getting a summer internship? I don't really understand the process of getting into other sectors, like politics, but alternative routes in life are welcomed to be suggested. I don't want a grad scheme from this coming September as I would like to travel again within the year and I think interns are the best way of getting a feel for an area
    Have many humans read your cv/cover letter or you have you been falling down at the selection tests?

ReputationRep:
    So are you looking at like banking internships/grad schemes? Often they have off-cycle internships that grads can apply to e.g. during winter months. Often (in my experience with large firms that run grad schemes, but not finance sectors), the best summer internships are a bit iffy about taking grads - understandably because they are so competitive that it's much more worthwhile for the company to recruit undergrad interns who may be able to be trained over the summer and then start as grads when they graduate. But with off-cycle internships there is less competition from undergrads. And again you need to check with the firms you'd like to apply to, because some only take 1st year grads, so you would only be able to apply to their grad scheme this year - but it varies so it's worth doing research into specific firms.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnicholson88)
    You should be applying for jobs, whether they are part of a grad scheme or not. If you aren't getting to interview then whatever you think about them, your CV and covering letter aren't good, because they aren't doing their job, getting you interview invites.

Internships are for folks at university, doing them after Uni just shows a lack of ambition, confidence and probably competence. You need to make decisions based on paper, not 3 weeks drifting round an office in a suit following people around.

There are two reasons for that either you aren't writing them well enough to show your relevant skills, or you simply don't have relevant skills - only you can judge that.

You also need to crack on, jobs for new graduates are getting filled rapidly, the season will end in March-ish for 'schemes' and straight forward jobs will fill up in the spring. Get down to your Uni Careers Centre and use their resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    You should be applying for jobs, whether they are part of a grad scheme or not. If you aren't getting to interview then whatever you think about them, your CV and covering letter aren't good, because they aren't doing their job, getting you interview invites.

Internships are for folks at university, doing them after Uni just shows a lack of ambition, confidence and probably competence. You need to make decisions based on paper, not 3 weeks drifting round an office in a suit following people around.

There are two reasons for that either you aren't writing them well enough to show your relevant skills, or you simply don't have relevant skills - only you can judge that.

You also need to crack on, jobs for new graduates are getting filled rapidly, the season will end in March-ish for 'schemes' and straight forward jobs will fill up in the spring. Get down to your Uni Careers Centre and use their resources.
    This is not true - I did 2 internships straight after I graduated. They were both key in getting me the job I'm in now, and I was recently encouraged by my manager to apply for a promotion in my first week of the job, for a position that most other members of the team are in after several years of work experience (I only have 6 months, both internships) because my success in them made me stand out. Lots of people do graduate internships and they're a good way of scoping out different career paths and seeing what you'd enjoy. I did an internship in my 2nd year of uni, but decided I didn't want to work in that field. It was the internships after graduation that really mattered most to me because they ended up shaping my career aspirations, and in both roles I could apply for internal vacancies because as a grad you can join the organisation immediately if you wish. This means that you have a significant advantage when it comes to grad roles that aren't part of a grad scheme, and something you don't get with undergrad internships.

OP - you can still apply for a lot of grad schemes next year when you graduate, and for me getting an internship in the summer after graduation was ideal in giving me something to contribute to these applications. Whether you want to apply in later years depends on what schemes you're after and whether they will take you - even so, it's important to get some substantial work experience during this time in any case.

Overall I wouldn't worry too much and just keep your motivation in applying to things - I applied to my first internship in the summer in Jan but only received an offer in April. I went straight into another internship after that and straight into a permanent role after that (all at household name organisations), so despite not knowing what I was doing this time last year I haven't been unemployed, even for a week, after leaving uni. There's also still time to get involved in societies at university or volunteering if you really need to bulk a CV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)

Agreed with roflcakes that its not true that doing internships after uni shows a lack of ambition, confidence and competence. In the sector I'm virtually all internships go to graduates- a degree is usually one of the requirements on the person spec and in some cases a masters is listed as desierable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.