Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I accepted a training contract during the summer of last year. The firm has multiple offices. My training contract is due to start in a month and I still don't know which office I'll be in. I did chase back in November and they informed me they would let me know as soon as possible. The reason this is concerning me is because I may need to relocate depending on which office they place me in.

I want to know as soon as possible so that if I do need to move I have as much time as possible to look for somewhere suitable. However I'm not really that comfortable chasing them as I already have done once.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been in the same situation?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoneyBee67)
    I accepted a training contract during the summer of last year. The firm has multiple offices. My training contract is due to start in a month and I still don't know which office I'll be in. I did chase back in November and they informed me they would let me know as soon as possible. The reason this is concerning me is because I may need to relocate depending on which office they place me in.

I want to know as soon as possible so that if I do need to move I have as much time as possible to look for somewhere suitable. However I'm not really that comfortable chasing them as I already have done once.

Does anyone have any advice or has anyone been in the same situation?
    Definitely not acceptable for them to have not confirmed a location with a month to go before you start. That's just odd - could only just about justify it if they were only based in one location, but even then you'd expect a formal confirmation with a month to go before your start date. The fact you may have to relocate seems to suggest they have a little consideration for their intake, or have made the dangerous assumption it's going to be easy for you to work from multiple locations without relocating.

Call them again. November was two months ago, so probably best to chase up again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think 'chasing' is perfectly reasonable in this position. Be firm as to needing to get a definitive answer, without being aggressive or bolshy about it (not that you will be, I'm sure)

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, yeah, definitely chase them again. Someone in that firm is not doing their job. And if they don't answer, ask again in a week. Wanting to know where you'll work really isn't pushy - you're not asking for anything they shouldn't reasonably know by now. A TC isn't the sort of thing you can crash your friend's couch for, after all.

I don't know what type of firm it is you'll be working for but if they have multiple offices I suspect they may have their own HR department. In that case, whoever it is you're chasing likely won't be your direct superior in the course of your training, so one less thing to worry about (though again, I really do not think there is anything wrong with politely asking where you'll work, whoever the addressee).

Good luck and I hope you'll have a great start of your training nonetheless!

ReputationRep:
    You could also email if you have the HR person's email address. Just politely say you need to know what city you'll be working in to find accommodation, and are wondering when this will information will be available.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.