Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Misandry and female privilege in the way we are taught to form relationships Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GonvilleBromhead)
    The importance is also presenting facts to support your opinions. I guess as someone who isn't a law student that passed you by. Also if you ever got to write a 1400 word essay consider yourself lucky, law has no such luxuries. That's a plan, not the full body.
    Lol. You think a large word count is impressive when it's actually the reverse. If ever you want to publish an article in the more respected papers where you get what, three pages tops, you need to be concise.

Presenting a convincing argument within 1000 words is a lot more impressive than waffling on and on for pages upon pages. It's a skill.

I was having a go at your simplifying everything game - it seemed fun. Plus how else do you argue with someone who can't be bothered to read arguments. That was your choice of degree and you still don't understand (or are ignoring) how ideology can affect studies especially on complex social issues and that data is interpreted? What a waste of your time.
    You what son? You think I don't know that? I'm a psychology graduate, and neuroscience post-grad student. this entire topic is my domain. I've covered that very topic in my dissertation. For some reason you think that an online individual is more immune to bias than a published research study? That's your problem. Again, thinking in binaries. Because I accept a research topic which I have studied myself, above an online bloke, I therefore don't accept that research can be successiptie to bias.

Good, solid logic there my friend.

Projection. Also read it, don't read it, I don't really care but if we're talking about pathetic you comment on something, misrepresent the opinion, write a diatribe, don't read the response and then say 'I'm an academic I studied something' (as proof of what exactly?) and are happy to share that you'll write a load of stuff but can't be bothered to engage with something surely miles shorter than all those studies you had to read, but you're happy to respond with non-sequiturs and ad hominems because you won't read an argument. You'd rather argue meaningless drivel than anything academic. I really don't need to say anything else at this point.
    Blah blah blah. Present me with an argument as to why I should readily accept the ponderings of a stranger on an online forum above a research topic which I have studied myself and I'll be happy.

You still haven't done it! I'm actually tempted to read your essay to see whether you hide the argument in there, but then I come to my senses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Lol. You think a large word count is impressive when it's actually the reverse. If ever you want to publish an article in the more respected papers where you get what, three pages tops, you need to be concise.

Presenting a convincing argument within 1000 words is a lot more impressive than waffling on and on for pages upon pages. It's a skill.

You what son? You think I don't know that? I'm a psychology graduate, and neuroscience post-grad student. this entire topic is my domain. I've covered that very topic in my dissertation. For some reason you think that an online individual is more immune to bias than a published research study? That's your problem. Again, thinking in binaries. Because I accept a research topic which I have studied myself, above an online bloke, I therefore don't accept that research can be successiptie to bias.

Good, solid logic there my friend.

Blah blah blah. Present me with an argument as to why I should readily accept the ponderings of a stranger on an online forum above a research topic which I have studied myself and I'll be happy.

You still haven't done it! I'm actually tempted to read your essay to see whether you hide the argument in there, but then I come to my senses.
    I think a wordcount is proportionate to the matter being approached. Cases average about thirty pages, tell our Lord Justices to be 'more precise'.

Ah I see why you're defending your original position. Because you're an academic and are desperate to be taken seriously because you wrote a few essays. Do you know how many people pass degrees a year? Just graduating doesn't make you smart. Simple as. I won't be smart just by achieving an end grade, nor would I be satisfied to claim I know a field inside out because I did my degree on it. As for 'your domain' are you a leading psychologist? A journal published head of your field? I doubt it as you're on TSR - people on this site usually have no authority in their field else they'd write for a journal or publication not internet posts.

Again accusing me of thinking in binaries which is definitely projection by this point as this is the third time you've misrepresented my argument. Its easy to say someones illogical when you aren't actually addressing their point but one you've deliberately made up to be absurd.

Sigh - you're actually crazy. Oh because you've studied it you therefore couldn't be wrong, that's how logic works. You're also still trying to get me to prove something I never claimed unless you're doing the 'you're wrong cuz I read textbooks' arguments which is the lowest form of logic there is. The argument from authority without evidence is literally a statement of being too stupid to think for yourself.

Your senses? I think they're a bit dulled mate

ReputationRep:
    I think a wordcount is proportionate to the matter being approached. Cases average about thirty pages, tell our Lord Justices to be 'more precise'.

Ah I see why you're defending your original position. Because you're an academic and are desperate to be taken seriously because you wrote a few essays. Do you know how many people pass degrees a year? Just graduating doesn't make you smart. Simple as. I won't be smart just by achieving an end grade, nor would I be satisfied to claim I know a field inside out because I did my degree on it. As for 'your domain' are you a leading psychologist? A journal published head of your field? I doubt it as you're on TSR - people on this site usually have no authority in their field else they'd write for a journal or publication not internet posts.

Again accusing me of thinking in binaries which is definitely projection by this point as this is the third time you've misrepresented my argument. Its easy to say someones illogical when you aren't actually addressing their point but one you've deliberately made up to be absurd.

Sigh - you're actually crazy. Oh because you've studied it you therefore couldn't be wrong, that's how logic works. You're also still trying to get me to prove something I never claimed unless you're doing the 'you're wrong cuz I read textbooks' arguments which is the lowest form of logic there is. The argument from authority without evidence is literally a statement of being too stupid to think for yourself.

Your senses? I think they're a bit dulled mate
    Still no argument.

Perhaps I am biased to prefer the product of scientific journals. Because yeah, I do love academic research, of course it has its faults but it's exciting to see progression.

I suppose you have your opinion, and I have mine. For some reason you dislike research a little, that's your choice at the end of the day. You're entitled to it!

Anyway I can tell you're a decent person, and I can understand why you got so frustrated at me not reading your previous post which took time and effort. So I am sorry about that. But I don't think I'm going to change your mind, and you won't change mine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.