Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyChap)
    I have no predictions. But I know for certain that the questions won't be fully challenging. So for AIC, it won't be somebody like Edna or Eva. As for poetry, I just hope that it's not one of the boring ones *Cough* Carol Ann Duffy *Cough*.
    I would be ecstatic if it was Porphyria's Lover or Eden Rock, because there's just so much that you could talk about!
    Hahaha, 'Before You Were Mine' is my least favourite as well and yet it seems to be the one I can best recite off the top of my head. How are you learning all your poems? Are you memorising each one or just learning the basics on each like structure/form etc?

ReputationRep:
    does anybody have any ideas what the Inspector calls question is going to be on the lit. paper next week(for CCEA unit 2). Also I'm doing love and death for the anthologies,so any possible questions on that will really be appreciated

hope the exams are going well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westsidegirl)
    If I got A*s in my Spanish controlled assessments, but I got a B or C in my reading and listening papers, what do you think I would get overall because I am really worried. If I got an A in my reading and listening what would I get please??
    Same. I'm freaking out a bit due to how badly the listening went for me.
    If you got A*'s in controlled assessments but B/C, you'd definitely get an A overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyChap)
    Same. I'm freaking out a bit due to how badly the listening went for me.
    If you got A*'s in controlled assessments but B/C, you'd definitely get an A overall
    Literally the reading and listening paper were so bad for me. I really don't see how they could have made it any harder. Don't the grade boundaries go up every year though so they grade boundaries can't be that low?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westsidegirl)
    Literally the reading and listening paper were so bad for me. I really don't see how they could have made it any harder. Don't the grade boundaries go up every year though so they grade boundaries can't be that low?
    If everyone struggled, the grades will be equally distributed according to the marks produced after these exams.

So the mark for an A* is bound to decrease.

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing edexcel IGCSE english lit? got any predictions of whats gonna come up for Romeo & Juliet and Of Mice And Men on monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxid)
    I've already done Science (Edexcel), Additional Science (Edexcel), Art (Edexcel) and Graphics (AQA).

This year I'm doing:
    English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA) - An Inspector Calls, Macbeth, Jekyll & Hyde i.e. my worst and power and conflict poetry
    Maths (Edexcel)
    Geography (AQA B) - Coasts, Urban, Tourism and Natural Hazards
    History (Edexcel B) - Medicine, Germany and Surgery
    Photography (Edexcel) which I completed last week.

Apparantly The Prelude is likely to come up for poetry in English Lit.
    I'm study the exact same for English, what do you think the questions will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiaP123)
    does anybody have any ideas what the Inspector calls question is going to be on the lit. paper next week(for CCEA unit 2). Also I'm doing love and death for the anthologies,so any possible questions on that will really be appreciated

hope the exams are going well
    Inspector Calls question will most probably be on quite a big topic, considering it is the first year; so the character won't be like Edna, for example. It definitely won't be on Sheila or responsibility (as these were in the Mock) but of course they do come into other topics.
    As for poetry, I'm doing power and conflict so not much help except my teacher said the given poem will probably be a short one as the ones in the Mocks so far have been and it definitely won't be either of the ones in the Mock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zkhan54)
    Any predictions for power and conflict poems and what could come up? Aqa?
    Definitely won't be Ozymandias or Storm on the Island (in the Mocks). As they are power of humans/nature, it will most probably be a conflict poem. So i'd reckon either a war poem or something like Emigree (power of identity/memory).

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what poems they used in 2016 for english lit. ocr gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toojazzforyou)
    Hahaha, 'Before You Were Mine' is my least favourite as well and yet it seems to be the one I can best recite off the top of my head. How are you learning all your poems? Are you memorising each one or just learning the basics on each like structure/form etc?
    Hey can all of you read my essays and give me feedback:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clw161hg8q...ssays.zip?dl=1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisabraham)
    Hey can all of you read my essays and give me feedback:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/clw161hg8q...ssays.zip?dl=1
    I read the macbeth betrayal essay,I think you had soem good points and used linguistic terminology, what I would do to improve this si just advice is:

pick 3 scenes to talk about and just talk in depth about them, so 3 paragraphs each about a scene so your essay is more structured.Embed more quotations, just short ones from time to time.Pick quotations that can be interpreted in two ways for example when lady macbeth ays that she would have killed Duncan if he "has not resembled my father as he slept.It could say her humanity or perhaps shows she is not all powerful as she cannot carry out the murder herself so she just makes excuses for herself.To make a structure point talk about for example if the extract was on act 1 scene 2 the way i would begin the paragraph is: At the end of the play Macbeth is labelled a 'dead butcher' which contrasts with how he is initially presented in act 1 scene 2, as 'noble' and 'brave'(beginning of sentence only just to give example).To give a structure point all you need to do is say how he was presented before or later on in the play, so talk about how the character changes throughout the play.Talk about stage craft, for example the fact Duncan's murder was not shown on stage,showing the brutality of the murder and to make his betrayal even more ruthless etc.Always refer to the question!!Link your answer to divine rights of kings and link it with how the betrayal was almost an act of violence against god,something along these lines.Be critical when choosing quotations only use a quotation if you can say a lot about ti and are going to analyse it.Lastly always evaluate!These are just some tips use them dont use them its up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I read the macbeth betrayal essay,I think you had soem good points and used linguistic terminology, what I would do to improve this si just advice is:

pick 3 scenes to talk about and just talk in depth about them, so 3 paragraphs each about a scene so your essay is more structured.Embed more quotations, just short ones from time to time.Pick quotations that can be interpreted in two ways for example when lady macbeth ays that she would have killed Duncan if he "has not resembled my father as he slept.It could say her humanity or perhaps shows she is not all powerful as she cannot carry out the murder herself so she just makes excuses for herself.To make a structure point talk about for example if the extract was on act 1 scene 2 the way i would begin the paragraph is: At the end of the play Macbeth is labelled a 'dead butcher' which contrasts with how he is initially presented in act 1 scene 2, as 'noble' and 'brave'(beginning of sentence only just to give example).To give a structure point all you need to do is say how he was presented before or later on in the play, so talk about how the character changes throughout the play.Talk about stage craft, for example the fact Duncan's murder was not shown on stage,showing the brutality of the murder and to make his betrayal even more ruthless etc.Always refer to the question!!Link your answer to divine rights of kings and link it with how the betrayal was almost an act of violence against god,something along these lines.Be critical when choosing quotations only use a quotation if you can say a lot about ti and are going to analyse it.Lastly always evaluate!These are just some tips use them dont use them its up to you.
    These are some great advice especially the structural techniques. I will keep these in mind for my next piece of writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toojazzforyou)
    I haven't been revising poetry yet. But I remember quotes from memory naturally due to paying attention in class. So now, I just recite them naturally based on memeory by linking the memory to the quote (I'm a visual learner, so I remember a picture of the poem in my head)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cullen1)
    For some reason I feel like London or Ozymandias is going to come up ;/ I feel like you can link them well together , theyre nice and short and theres lots to say about them. Nature is much more tricky , at least for me , love seems too easy and war , hm possible. No good to predict , we should learn them all but cmon the amount of poems we gotta learn is too extreme at least for my brain lol. Regarding Romeo and Juliet , I feel like a question regarding the relationship between Friar Lawrence and Romeo will come up. Unless they will go easy on us and they will just ask about the presentation of love ? :3 good luck to all x
    I wouldn't mind London as there is a lot to write for context. However I'd prefer to get Dulce et as its easy to compare to The Manhunt and The Soldier. I hope we don't get the Prelude as hardly any teachers in my school seem to understand it properly.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody know what To Kill A Mockingbird or A View From The Bridge (English Edexcel IGCSE) question will be on? please please please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jademillward_xo)
    I'm doing

Maths higher edexcel
    english lit aqa
    english lang aqa
    triple biology edexcel
    triple physics edexcel
    triple chemistry edexcel
    Philosophy and ethics ocr
    spanish higher ocr
    applied business ocr
    sociology aqa
    history B edexcel
    art and design wjec

any predictions ??

My english teacher has predicted "London" as the poem to come up for english literature
    I don't think it will they included that in one of their first specifications so it's highly unlikely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahglen12)
    I'm study the exact same for English, what do you think the questions will be
    Macbeth - I think it may be on Macbeth's heroism or ambition, not Lady Macbeth though
    AIC - Hopefully they'll go for something simple like responsibility or the differences between the older and younger generation as it would allow easy differentiation between lower and higher level students
    Poetry - Definitely not Ozymandias and the power of nature but a lot of people think the Prelude is gonna come up, no clue though. Personally I would love it to be on loss or memory
    Jekyll and Hyde - no clue I'm screwed for it I know barely anything loool kms

ReputationRep:
    Power and conflict prediction: its unlikely to be Checking out me history or ozymandias. Tissue and the emigreé are unlikely to come up. Key themes: nature, war, inner conflict and pride.
    Jekyll + Hyde: make sure you know context! Know your characters inside out and key themes. The key theme throughout the play is duality of nature, however i think this is a little too easy to answer and won't come up (or at least not directly).
    Macbeth: Macbeth being presented as a hero came up on the mock, so wont be on the paper. I dont think Macbeth himself will be in the paper. Revise key themes- supernatural, appearance vs reality ect. Remember to look at Lady Macbeth and how she changes through the play, look at Banquo and Macduff too.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any predictions about what the poem will be for aqa English lit power and conflict? I'm honestly so scared about it cuz there's waaay too many to remember and I'm probably gonna forget everything in the exam :///

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.