The Student Room Group

My heart rate (beats per minute) is fast?

I'm a 15 year old male and I don't think I'm as active as I should be.

I measured my pulse and it was 96 bpm which is kinda high, I can feel my heart beating. I'm worried I'm gonna faint/collapse (I don't feel dizzy)

I want to become more active and get my resting heart rate back to normal.

How often should I excercise daily?

How long for?

If out on a walk what distance?

If I follow that then how long will it take for me to become fit and my resting heart rate back to normal?
bro don't waste your breath on exercise. that's pretty normal. I hope so, anyway, because my resting is also around 100 constantly. if you're worried check at the doctor's and you'll be informed if it is normal for someone of your stature and ask them for advice rather than us lol

if you plan to exercise regardless I wouldn't start daily. try it for a couple of days and see if you can actually carry on for the week. or tone down your workout on some days. and we can't really estimate a walk's length without knowing your weight/health situation which is why it's still good to get a quick checkup and tackle 2 birds with one stone

gl
You're only 15 and still growing. Your pulse is perfectly normal.
If you want to lower it you need to exercise regularly and build it up. But I'd be careful and just begin by walking daily and then work your way up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adz234
I'm a 15 year old male and I don't think I'm as active as I should be.

I measured my pulse and it was 96 bpm which is kinda high, I can feel my heart beating. I'm worried I'm gonna faint/collapse (I don't feel dizzy)

I want to become more active and get my resting heart rate back to normal.

A child's heart rate is faster than an adult's. A healthy adult resting heart rate is 60bpm - 100bpm.

You're fine, Mr WorriesALot.

Original post by adz234
How often should I exercise daily?

If you just want a more efficient cardio vascular system, then have at 2/3 cardio sessions a week (I'd recommend either long slow duration which gets your heart rate to about 60% of your max heart rate ~~~ or do HIIT).

Original post by adz234
How long for?

The sessions? Long slow duration - 30/45 minutes. HIIT - as long as it takes to complete your program. For example: sprint 100m. slow jog 200m. Repeat 5 times.

Original post by adz234
If out on a walk what distance?

Just enjoy the walk.

Original post by adz234
If I follow that then how long will it take for me to become fit and my resting heart rate back to normal?

Depends how much effort you put into it, and it depends on your body - every body is different.

In addition to cardio, you should also engage in muscle training for frame, form and support. It's just healthier too.
Hi,

I would also suggest that, in order to make it more fun and to instil motivation and regularity, alternate your cardio as recommended above, with some sport(s) that you enjoy - anything that makes you breathless initially - this tells you that your cardiovascular system (heart/ blood vessels/blood) as well as your ventilatory system (breathing/lungs) are being pushed - hockey (sorry biased - my main sport :smile:), cycling (if your heart rate is in the 90s [although well within normal for your age], I would start with just 1-2 miles initially and build it up gradually), badminton, table-tennis [quite aggressively] can all raise your heart rate at the time of exercising, which will tell your body that you need to increase your cardiopulmonary reserve (ability to increase the amount of oxygen you can deliver to your muscles per unit time), so your heart rate should slow down over a few weeks.

You say you can "feel your heart beating" - this is referred to in medicine as "palpitations" (an [abnormal] awareness of your heart beat) - it is very unlikely to be a problem in a 15 year old, but I would just see your GP for a quick chat/examination just to be safe.

Regards,
Mukesh (ex-medic)
Reply 5
If you're just worried about your fitness why not take up a sport or some kind of active hobby. fitness is a long term thing so just do something you enjoy else you'll just give up
Before making some self conclusions about your heart beat, you should better visit cardiologist. If everything is ok with you, you can start doing daily exercises and give a load to your body.

Quick Reply

Latest