Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whenever i shoulder press or side lateral raise i dont feel it in my shoulders .

How do i properely contract the shoulder muscle , i find it easy to contract with bicep and chest but the shoulder has always been a muscle i can't contract .

Any tips on form on how to feel it working ?

ReputationRep:
    Three "muscle heads" make up your shoulder muscle group (rear delts, side delts and front delts). Through compound movements done correctly such as bench press, military press and deadlifts you 100% will be engaging your shoulder muscles even if you don't overtly feel it and will built strength/muscle mass depending on how many reps you do and your diet. Try to avoid too many isolation exercises if you haven't already got a good overall starting strength base and when you do integrate them make sure you don't make the common mistake of neglecting your rear delts as this will affect your overall posture and look.

ReputationRep:
    Shrug your shoulders, retract them back as far as you can, and then lower them back down again whilst retracted. This is known as "retracting your scapula" and should be common practice in all lifts, especially shoulders/chest/back. Focus on the mind-muscle relationship, and maybe try reducing the weight until your form is bang on.

ReputationRep:
    shoulder are often difficult to get a mind muscle connection with and hence when attemtping isolation movements it can be easy to use form which doesnt fully target the intended muscle head.

one quick fix for form on lateral raises is to ensure that your wrists are relaxed and that the dumbell never goes higher than your elbow (while still raiseng the upper part of your arm so that it is perpendicular to your body). This is very important, because as soon as you raise the weight above your elbow you are no longer targeting the lateral head of your shoulders and are instead activating the upper traps as the primary muscle.

Also ensure you are using a light-moderate weight for raises.

and maybe try supersetting front raises with lateral raises or drop setting your lateral raises to really feel it in your shoulders!

ReputationRep:
    With lateral raises I find it best to not actually focus on your shoulder as such, rather just sort of push outwards with your elbows. Otherwise you might end up using your traps instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.