The Student Room Group

Dropping Out of Sixth Form

I don't like sixth form. I keep trying to convince myself that it's okay, mostly no one likes it either and it's just another harship of life. But ughh. It's getting so hard to find the motivation. I'm really disappointed to admit I've been skipping too. I feel like a liar, I AM a liar.
I struggle with health, my sixth form offered to pay for an extended/extra year to help me but it's not my health that's stopping me from keeping up with work, it's me. I have no motivation for it. I want to start an apprenticeship. The only reason I haven't put my foot down and decided I'm not going down an A-level route is because I'm conscious of others, my mum really wants the best for me and has previously expressed that if I don't do my a- levels I'll regret it; I don't want to disappoint my friends either; I feel bad for wasting a scholarship to this private school I'm at; and I'd hate to look like a loser to my boyfriend. This makes me even more frustrated! I shouldn't be studying FOR other people. It should be FOR ME. And this isn't what I want. I can go back later in life, to college, if I have to. I know it might be harder, but I honestly feel like I need time to do something for me, something I want. I sound selfish, maybe I am. But it's my life.

My teacher waited five years after sixth form to start uni and he said it was the best decision he's ever made. So why is it so different for sixth form? Could I not just take the rest of this year out and return to college with a better mind in September? Would it be the end of the world? I guess I'm throwing away an opportunity this private school offers, but at least I'd hopefully be getting better grades at a college when I have more direction, know what to do. I was gonna stay at sixth form and finish a-levels, but I wasn't even going to aim or try hard, just get these two years over with so I can get to my gap year and finally put a darn textbook down. I don't feel like a-levels are for me however I do want to do well in them, I truthfully do. Jusy not now. I'm in year 12, someone help. I need to know if taking a years break really is the end of the world?! I don't plan on doing nothing for these months if I do drop out, I'd like to get work experience, volunteer!
How about you? What are your experiences with dropping out or considering that option?
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. It can be hard to be motivated to do something that you're not interested in and if you're feeling like it's not the right thing for you. Have you explored apprenticeship or work experience options? I'd say apply and then consider dropping out if something comes up. It may be better to come back when you're in a better frame of mind but some people never come back to studying if they take time away and A levels are a basic requirement for most jobs unless you have a load of work experience. Can you identify exactly what is making you feel this way and maybe talk to someone about it?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. It can be hard to be motivated to do something that you're not interested in and if you're feeling like it's not the right thing for you. Have you explored apprenticeship or work experience options? I'd say apply and then consider dropping out if something comes up. It may be better to come back when you're in a better frame of mind but some people never come back to studying if they take time away and A levels are a basic requirement for most jobs unless you have a load of work experience. Can you identify exactly what is making you feel this way and maybe talk to someone about it?

Thank you for not being condescending. I've seen other posts where replies have been like that.

Yeah, the thing is that I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with my life anymore. I don't have aspirations like I used to. I've sort of hinted to my mum about this and she's been really set on my staying at sixth form and doing a levels as I could regret this in the future. I do want to get my a levels eventually, I'm just not in the right mindset, I have no direction and so nothing to work for. I feel stuck
Reply 3
Honestly, I'd say leave now while you can. I'm in my second year of sixth form considering dropping out and I've honestly never liked it. I stuck with it because I thought it would get easier but it doesn't and my anxiety now is CONSTANT because A Levels make me feel like I'm stupid (I know I'm pretty smart, not to sound conceited)
I've made it clear to the head of my sixth form that I have a plan for when I leave (I want to work full time until October, do an access course in October when I'm 19, then go to uni to be a nurse) and I'm not going to doss around because I'm just not that sort of person. She's, however, completely discarded what I want and she's trying to persuade me to do my A Levels (because it's "only another 6 months") and do a foundation degree that will later come out of my own pocket.
Obviously I'm not going to do that since I know she's only trying to make me stay because it looks good on her.
On the topic of your college course, if you're 18 when you apply and turn 19 before the second year of your course, the college will only pay for the first year of your course and not the second.
If you do drop out of sixth form and you're looking for a break from education then you can go into full time work. Don't listen to people who say you "have" to be in full time education until you're 18. I know a girl who dropped out (she's 17) and is now working full time in my workplace. She was told that as long as she gets 48 hours of rest from work then she's fine how she is.
Also, if there's a specific area of work you want to go into, read up about Access to Higher Education courses, I'm currently looking to apply for an Access to Midwifery course but there are honestly so many more areas you can go into. You have to be 19 to apply for them but they allow you to go to uni so I guess it's something to consider:-).
Hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest