Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression or something else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was diagnosed with depressive mood disorder (I'm guessing that means the same thing as depression) when I was 16 and I've been on antidepressants since I was 17 (fluoxetine, then escitalopram, then mirtazipine and now going to try sertraline) and have had CBT and a few courses of counselling. Nothing's really helped much though, just made my low moods a bit less intense.

The thing is, I feel a lot different now to what I did when i was diagnosed. Most of the time now I just feel disconnected from the world around me rather than the persistent low mood I had before, I kinda feel like I'm acting when I'm talking to people like I'm disconnected from the conversation and the words coming out of my mouth, and objects just look weird and move when they're not supposed to sometimes (that might be cuz I'm constantly overtired though idk, also have insomnia). It makes me really socially awkward and I find it really hard talking to new people, public speaking, stumble over my words, and concentrating through a whole conversation. But I can't tell whether what I'm experiencing is normal or not or if I'm just being dramatic and hypersensitive? I have a lot of trouble figuring out what I'm feeling unless I'm extremely happy or sad, and people keep telling me that I don't express any emotions. I also just can't concentrate on anything, and am stupidly impulsive sometimes and will go out clubbing and make really bad (and potentially dangerous) decisions. I also struggle with SH when I'm feeling very disconnected from the world. I could go on, but it'd make the post too long/boring :'

What I'm wondering is, is this just the depression manifesting itself in different ways or does it sound similar to something else? I've mentioned some of these things to my counsellor but she just gave me a few grounding techniques that don't help much, and also to my GP. He asked me if I heard voices and had visual hallucinations (which I then mentioned about objects looking weird/moving) but I didn't get the chance to tell him everything I've been experiencing and he just said to keep an eye on it, changed me to sertraline and gave me an appt for 2 weeks time.

Sorry for the really long post :3 Just writing this post has made me feel a bit better haha, any help greatly appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luna.lovegood)
    Hi

I was diagnosed with depressive mood disorder (I'm guessing that means the same thing as depression) when I was 16 and I've been on antidepressants since I was 17 (fluoxetine, then escitalopram, then mirtazipine and now going to try sertraline) and have had CBT and a few courses of counselling. Nothing's really helped much though, just made my low moods a bit less intense.

The thing is, I feel a lot different now to what I did when i was diagnosed. Most of the time now I just feel disconnected from the world around me rather than the persistent low mood I had before, I kinda feel like I'm acting when I'm talking to people like I'm disconnected from the conversation and the words coming out of my mouth, and objects just look weird and move when they're not supposed to sometimes (that might be cuz I'm constantly overtired though idk, also have insomnia). It makes me really socially awkward and I find it really hard talking to new people, public speaking, stumble over my words, and concentrating through a whole conversation. But I can't tell whether what I'm experiencing is normal or not or if I'm just being dramatic and hypersensitive? I have a lot of trouble figuring out what I'm feeling unless I'm extremely happy or sad, and people keep telling me that I don't express any emotions. I also just can't concentrate on anything, and am stupidly impulsive sometimes and will go out clubbing and make really bad (and potentially dangerous) decisions. I also struggle with SH when I'm feeling very disconnected from the world. I could go on, but it'd make the post too long/boring :'

What I'm wondering is, is this just the depression manifesting itself in different ways or does it sound similar to something else? I've mentioned some of these things to my counsellor but she just gave me a few grounding techniques that don't help much, and also to my GP. He asked me if I heard voices and had visual hallucinations (which I then mentioned about objects looking weird/moving) but I didn't get the chance to tell him everything I've been experiencing and he just said to keep an eye on it, changed me to sertraline and gave me an appt for 2 weeks time.

Sorry for the really long post :3 Just writing this post has made me feel a bit better haha, any help greatly appreciated!
    I'm sorry, we can't really give you a lot of advice on diagnoses, but I will suggest that you do write everything down that you want your GP to know. Maybe make bullet points, expand on them enough so you know what you need to get across, and tick them off as you discuss them in your appointment. Make sure they know you have a list, so hopefully they'll help you get through everything on it. You might notice a difference with the sertraline though, so hang in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    I'm sorry, we can't really give you a lot of advice on diagnoses, but I will suggest that you do write everything down that you want your GP to know. Maybe make bullet points, expand on them enough so you know what you need to get across, and tick them off as you discuss them in your appointment. Make sure they know you have a list, so hopefully they'll help you get through everything on it. You might notice a difference with the sertraline though, so hang in there
    I understand Thanks for the advice, list is definitely a good idea I always get realy nervous and forget what to say. Yeah hopefully the sertraline will help, thank you!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.