Qer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
are male and female gametes produced by mitosis or meiosis ?? explain why? plaint in

Is plaint life cycle is different from humans

is

i am confused because as i remember that in life cycle process diploid undergoes meiosis to form haploid then male and
female gemates fuse to form zygote then it again under go mitosis
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
are male and female gametes produced by mitosis or meiosis ?? explain why? plaint in

Is plaint life cycle is different from humans

is

i am confused because as i remember that in life cycle process diploid undergoes meiosis to form haploid then male and
female gemates fuse to form zygote then it again under go mitosis
Bit of an unstructured question.

Nonetheless, gametes are produced by meiosis. Meiosis is a process that generates haploid cells, which is exactly what you need for gametes. If mitosis was responsible, you'd end with diploid gametes and so when a sperm and an egg fuse, you'd end up with a (human) zygote with 92 chromosomes rather than 46!

Mitosis produces skin cells etc.. It is the process that replenishes dead cells and accounts for growth and repair.

Yes, technically, the life cycle of a plant and a human is different. Humans don't photosynthesise, whereas photosynthesis is an integral aspect to the life of a plant, for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (96)
58.18%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (18)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (21)
12.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (12)
7.27%
I haven't started researching yet (9)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
5.45%

Watched Threads