Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I only do two full days a week in my internship and I struggle. How will I survive a full time job?! I must be so lazy as I come home and fatigue instantly sets in, I lie on the sofa and can't move. My family are from a working class background, not well off but have an excellent work ethic, why do I not have the same motivation? After the weekend I really don't want to go back, I would rather spend time with my family. I am home sick at the moment as this is my fourth year at University and the majority of my friends have left to go into full time jobs. I slip in and out of states of depression, lasting about a month each time, I feel as though I'm beginning to return to that state. I regularly exercise, get enough sleep at night and eat as healthily as I can. I'm starting to think that maybe there is an underlying condition? Perhaps Anaemia or something? Or am I just lazy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s1s9s9s5)
    I only do two full days a week in my internship and I struggle. How will I survive a full time job?! I must be so lazy as I come home and fatigue instantly sets in, I lie on the sofa and can't move. My family are from a working class background, not well off but have an excellent work ethic, why do I not have the same motivation? After the weekend I really don't want to go back, I would rather spend time with my family. I am home sick at the moment as this is my fourth year at University and the majority of my friends have left to go into full time jobs. I slip in and out of states of depression, lasting about a month each time, I feel as though I'm beginning to return to that state. I regularly exercise, get enough sleep at night and eat as healthily as I can. I'm starting to think that maybe there is an underlying condition? Perhaps Anaemia or something? Or am I just lazy?
    I've been through exactly what you're describing. I'm on the contraceptive pill so I thought at one point that it cold be a side effect, but when I mentioned it to my GP she put it all down to stress. Is your desire to be at home causing you stress, or anything else?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s1s9s9s5)
    Struggling does not equal lazy. Lazy is when you could do something, but just kinda don't wanna and would rather just chill out. Struggling with a day of work and being so tired when you get home that you can only sit on you sofa may look lazy, but it's very different.
    Your situation would suggest a health issue which is causing you to have less "get up and go" than most people. It can happen with depression, vitamin or hormone deficiencies, chronic fatigue syndrome etc. I suggest you see your gp. Please don't beat yourself up for something out of your control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtneywxxd)
    I've been through exactly what you're describing. I'm on the contraceptive pill so I thought at one point that it cold be a side effect, but when I mentioned it to my GP she put it all down to stress. Is your desire to be at home causing you stress, or anything else?
    This is slightly off topic but I think it might help. I'm no scientist but I've heard that contraceptive pills correlate with infertility, but more importantly that they can create imbalances in your androgen levels which can have very big effects on your mood and disposition. Perhaps they do have something to do with it.

As for OP, I'm sort of the same... There's definitely laziness and concentration-span issues in my case, but also depression. In your case it does sound very similar to depression symptoms. It tends to come with a lack of motivation...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.