Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried what others think/I changed career. Watch

I studied for a mh nursing degree but quite a while after starting I realised that I didn't want to be a nurse. My mum is a nurse and she told me that it was my last chance to make something of myself etc so I stuck it out and qualified. I didn't work as a nurse but wanted to change career to occupational therapy. Because I didn't have good A levels I had to do an access course and am now on another 3 year degree studying Occupational therapy. However I worry about what people think of this. A man off my nursing course has asked several times if I'm going to actually work as an OT or if I'm just studying it as I did with nursing. I went out with my mum today and we passed a university in the car. She said 'is this going to be your next university when you decide you don't want to be an OT. I looked at her and she seemed a little annoyed. I said what do you mean she said well you have been in education for ages so I don't really know what your intentions are.

I know I want to be an OT, I applied when I was 18 but got rejected so then I turned to nursing. I feel a bit embarrassed that people think I don't want to work and that I just want to study though. Just wanted advice even though there's not much to say the truth in my goals will be revealed in the future lol.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I studied for a mh nursing degree but quite a while after starting I realised that I didn't want to be a nurse. My mum is a nurse and she told me that it was my last chance to make something of myself etc so I stuck it out and qualified. I didn't work as a nurse but wanted to change career to occupational therapy. Because I didn't have good A levels I had to do an access course and am now on another 3 year degree studying Occupational therapy. However I worry about what people think of this. A man off my nursing course has asked several times if I'm going to actually work as an OT or if I'm just studying it as I did with nursing. I went out with my mum today and we passed a university in the car. She said 'is this going to be your next university when you decide you don't want to be an OT. I looked at her and she seemed a little annoyed. I said what do you mean she said well you have been in education for ages so I don't really know what your intentions are.

I know I want to be an OT, I applied when I was 18 but got rejected so then I turned to nursing. I feel a bit embarrassed that people think I don't want to work and that I just want to study though. Just wanted advice even though there's not much to say the truth in my goals will be revealed in the future lol.
    Just for clarity and to make sure I'm reading it correctly.
    1. You qualified as a nurse, but didnt wnat to do that as a career.
    2. You got funding for and are now doing an OT degree which you enjoy.
    3. You are worried what other people think.
    4. You want to be an OT.

Honestly u cnat see the problem. You ahev the convocyion to turn down nurseing and wnat to be an OT which you are studying for. Its irrelevant what others think, but its importnat to do what you want i.e OT. Star making contacts in the profession. Enjoy. Not sure what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore any comments and carry on doing what you're doing. In a few years when you get a job it will all be irrelevant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.