Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    When you graduate would you use BSc or BA or any other letters you have after your name?

I think I would only ever use it in a professional situation. I certainly won't be sigining all my letters BSc
    Here's my present entitlement:

MRICS MCIOB MCIArb BSc(Hons) LLb(Hons)

On top of that I'll be adding LLM within a year.

Frankly, I think it'd be an act of supreme cun*ishness trying to cram this lot on a business card or after my name on a letter. So I don't use any of them. Besides, my qualificatons are nobody's business other than my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Very true, and even if they ask you to play the harp at some strange ceremony - how hard can it be?
    dont under-estimate the harp! i tried to play one once and it has 4 pedals...FOUR!!!

ReputationRep:
    my dads such a freak....his aim in life was to get more letters after his name than in his name....and he has 24 letters in his name! i think he's done it.

i dont think ill ever use the letters after my name unless i become a housewife and my kid has a nasty teacher who think shes above me because i sit at home all day watching day time telly.

hehe,

dear teacher,

my child can not come to school today as she is ill

thanks,
    Katy Temple Bsc.
    love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    my dads such a freak....his aim in life was to get more letters after his name than in his name....and he has 24 letters in his name! i think he's done it.

i dont think ill ever use the letters after my name unless i become a housewife and my kid has a nasty teacher who think shes above me because i sit at home all day watching day time telly.

hehe,

love Katy ***
    lol, what type of qulifications does your dad have?

ReputationRep:
    no way! i would never put initials after my name! - i work in a supermarket and ive had a couple of customers, using a card 2 pay for their groceries, write BSc.... after their name! is that not so daft!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No I won't be (even if I do a doctorate) - its just showing off at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I agree. And letters from professional societies look good too, so join them folks.
    My dad has got quite a few after his name if he wants to use them (CBE dont you know ) but the best is his M.I.I.G.T (member of the insititue of international something something) and he got that just for having a subscription to a Management Magazine

ReputationRep:
    My Dad has no letters after his name.

He doesn't even have a letter between his first and second name.

ReputationRep:

nor has mine...

ReputationRep:

Neither do I, must be weird having two names tho - ive never quite worked out what the point in it is?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people put four letter words before my name.
    'Lady' ?

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Dame?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    i no! those are the only ones i can remember. she was telling me the PGCE part has to do with being able to teach, but it was all to confusing! :rolleyes:
    That means she has a Post Graduate Certificate of Education. All teachers have them, as well as ordinary degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    That means she has a Post Graduate Certificate of Education. All teachers have them, as well as ordinary degrees.
    oh, thanks
    is this common knowledge to know this? or are you just very familiar with the meaning of all these letters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    lol, what type of qulifications does your dad have?

medical ones....he started with becoming a gp...and has continued sitting exams and stuff to get more letters!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gone any swimming badges

Though I can swim - how can I prove this to prospective employers?
    I have five swimming certificates and about ten distance badges. However, I also am worried that I won't be able to prove this should someone ask me during an interview. I think the best thing is to carry around a photo of myself from primary seven, since I sewed 'em all on my trunks.

I would strongly advise anyone else to do the same.

However, the cycling proficiency test - which I also passed - presents some problems. I have lost the certificate! I guess the best thing to do would be to offer to demonstrate my cycling skillz at interview.

I imagine most interviewers would be pretty damn impressed by such an offer.

ReputationRep:
    My dad, who is called Philip, gets to put MA D.Phil after his name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)
    I have five swimming certificates and about ten distance badges. However, I also am worried that I won't be able to prove this should someone ask me during an interview. I think the best thing is to carry around a photo of myself from primary seven, since I sewed 'em all on my trunks.

I would strongly advise anyone else to do the same.

However, the cycling proficiency test - which I also passed - presents some problems. I have lost the certificate! I guess the best thing to do would be to offer to demonstrate my cycling skillz at interview.

I imagine most interviewers would be pretty damn impressed by such an offer.
    didn't you get a badge for your cycling profficiency? I certainly did. And don't you have a Bronze swimming certificate? I know a lot of people who put BSc after their name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphus)
    didn't you get a badge for your cycling profficiency? I certainly did. And don't you have a Bronze swimming certificate? I know a lot of people who put BSc after their name.
    Holy crap, now that you mention it, I DID get a badge - a triangular one!

The swimming certs, at least back in my day, went one through five in this order: blue, pink, yellow, green, white. There wasn't a bronze, so I couldn't do the BSc thing.

Heh, for the fifth certificate, you had to swim either clothed or in pyjamas. That was kinda weird.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.