Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm applying to US and to five English schools: Middlesex, Westminster, Kingston, University of the Arts and to Bucks.

To be honest, my first choice school is in the New York but as it's much more expensive I've decided to apply to UK as well. I feel like american universities are better in teaching animation, but maybe I'm wrong? If someone has good knowledge about it, please tell me how it is-does it matter if I'll be studying animation in US or in UK?

Furthermore, I don't really know which university should I choose for my firm and insurance choice. I know that it's not very smart that I didn't get more information about these universities before I applied, but I really have better knowledge about american schools and to be honest it's hard to find information about this major.
    I can't find acceptance rates and students' opinion about these school (besides really old posts). I'll appreciate any kind of help!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seamoon)
    Hello!
    I'm applying to US and to five English schools: Middlesex, Westminster, Kingston, University of the Arts and to Bucks.

To be honest, my first choice school is in the New York but as it's much more expensive I've decided to apply to UK as well. I feel like american universities are better in teaching animation, but maybe I'm wrong? If someone has good knowledge about it, please tell me how it is-does it matter if I'll be studying animation in US or in UK?

Furthermore, I don't really know which university should I choose for my firm and insurance choice. I know that it's not very smart that I didn't get more information about these universities before I applied, but I really have better knowledge about american schools and to be honest it's hard to find information about this major.
    I can't find acceptance rates and students' opinion about these school (besides really old posts). I'll appreciate any kind of help!
    Have you had offers from your choices?

What styles of animation are you particularly interested in? Some courses focus very much on computer skills, others on storytelling skills and others on drawing/modelling skills. Some courses even verge onto being about VFX rather than animation. Matching your interests to the course content will help.

You've stuck to london based courses - I'm guessing that was deliberate?

Looking into the industry links for the courses you've picked will help - unfortunately non of your chosen courses are accredited by Creative Skillset (http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...=Undergraduate ) so you'll need to find out directly what sort of input from industry is involved in the course content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you had offers from your choices?

What styles of animation are you particularly interested in? Some courses focus very much on computer skills, others on storytelling skills and others on drawing/modelling skills. Some courses even verge onto being about VFX rather than animation. Matching your interests to the course content will help.

You've stuck to london based courses - I'm guessing that was deliberate?

Looking into the industry links for the courses you've picked will help - unfortunately non of your chosen courses are accredited by Creative Skillset (http://creativeskillset.org/search/3...=Undergraduate ) so you'll need to find out directly what sort of input from industry is involved in the course content.
    I think that I'm gonna get offers from all universities, I've already got an offer from westminster.

I'm more interested in 2D animation-character design, storytelling etc seem really okay to me. To be honest I would be happy with some computer classes but not too much as I'm better at traditional drawing.

And yes-I really want to study in London so I applied to all London schools that seem good to me. Actually I don't really know which one is the best. Do you know which uni is more focused on 2d animation?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think that I'm gonna get offers from all universities, I've already got an offer from westminster.

I'm more interested in 2D animation-character design, storytelling etc seem really okay to me. To be honest I would be happy with some computer classes but not too much as I'm better at traditional drawing.

And yes-I really want to study in London so I applied to all London schools that seem good to me. Actually I don't really know which one is the best. Do you know which uni is more focused on 2d animation?
    They're all good courses. UAL/LCC probably has the best reputation (but also the least happy students...and lowest contact hours - I'd definitely ask them about the sort of studio space you'd be in), Bucks has a major focus onto VFX.

If you dig around their websites you should be able to find out more about the interests of the staff, the sort of studio space you'd be in and facilities available to you as well as the general living and study environment. Look at the work of current students, look at whether the course includes live briefs and lecturers from industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    They're all good courses. UAL/LCC probably has the best reputation (but also the least happy students...and lowest contact hours - I'd definitely ask them about the sort of studio space you'd be in), Bucks has a major focus onto VFX.

If you dig around their websites you should be able to find out more about the interests of the staff, the sort of studio space you'd be in and facilities available to you as well as the general living and study environment. Look at the work of current students, look at whether the course includes live briefs and lecturers from industry.
    Oh okay. Do you know by chance is it better to study animation in us or in uk?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. Do you know by chance is it better to study animation in us or in uk?
    I honestly don't know enough about the animation industry in the US to answer that.

I do know that the UK animation industry is strong and growing (both in quality and quantity - UK animators win a lot of international awards) and that animation degrees in the UK are generally very high quality and industry focused. Geographically it's likely much easier to make contacts and gain experience in the UK - most big animation studios are around London or the South (Brighton/Bournemouth/Bristol) or Manchester. So all easy to travel to for a day from London.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I feel you on this. I really wanted to go to SVA in New York but I simply can't afford it, and have no way of getting a student loan over there. I'm considering doing a masters in America after my degree, or a year abroad.

I'm applying to:

1. University of Hertfordshire - 2D Animation & Character Media (With year abroad)
    2. Arts University Bournemouth - Animation Production
    3. Kingston University - Illustration Animation
    4. Wesminster University - Animation
    5. University of South Wales - Game Art

Hertfordshire looks really good. They're only 2D based and it also has a year abroad which is why it's my top choice. The campus is lovely and even though it's in Hatfield, there's a only 20 min train ride to the center of London! The student work looks amazing too.

Bournemouth, from what I can see, has the best reputation for animation in the UK. I'll be going there for an interview soon, but I haven't visited it. The course is Animation Production. Apparently it's definitely 2D based but with some 3D work.

I don't have much to say about Westminter and Kingston but I assume you've done your research on them, since you've applied.

About UAL... my best friend does Art Direction there. I've been up to visit her a few times too. It's definitely not a bad University, but A LOT of people go there. It's very diverse but I know a lot of students in the art department don't speak English, so she's struggling to make friends. She says she feels kinda lonely (which surprised me, because she's so outgoing). Her accomodation is also mega bucks lmao.
    I'm not sure any of this matters to you but I thought I'd let you know just in case. There's not much I can say about the Art Direction course in relation to Animation. Although, I didn't even bother applying because I wasn't that fond of the student work.

ReputationRep:
    Where did you apply in the US, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention that my friend goes to Middlesex. We're not super close so I've never visited but the course looks alright. I think it's more VFX based, rather than the character animation route you're looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    I honestly don't know enough about the animation industry in the US to answer that.

I do know that the UK animation industry is strong and growing (both in quality and quantity - UK animators win a lot of international awards) and that animation degrees in the UK are generally very high quality and industry focused. Geographically it's likely much easier to make contacts and gain experience in the UK - most big animation studios are around London or the South (Brighton/Bournemouth/Bristol) or Manchester. So all easy to travel to for a day from London.
    Okay, thank you so much for your reply. It was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuroskye)
    I forgot to mention that my friend goes to Middlesex. We're not super close so I've never visited but the course looks alright. I think it's more VFX based, rather than the character animation route you're looking for.
    Ohhh actually I'm applying to SVA as well! And I will have problems with paying for it too lol. To be honest, I'm muuch more worried about this how I'm gonna pay than about getting accepted there. That's why I'm applying to UK..

I think that animation at Kingston is pretty 2D animation based. Which school is your first choice?

Unfortunately, I didn't know much about animation schools in UK before applying. I didn't have anyone to ask and I don't really care about rankings cause they don't say everything. So I've just picked schools that I felt that may be okay?? I don't know if I've made right decision I hope so lol. And thank you so much for describing these schools. If you will know anything about Kingston and Westminster what will sound helpful please, tell me

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh actually I'm applying to SVA as well! And I will have problems with paying for it too lol. To be honest, I'm muuch more worried about this how I'm gonna pay than about getting accepted there. That's why I'm applying to UK..

I think that animation at Kingston is pretty 2D animation based. Which school is your first choice?

Unfortunately, I didn't know much about animation schools in UK before applying. I didn't have anyone to ask and I don't really care about rankings cause they don't say everything. So I've just picked schools that I felt that may be okay?? I don't know if I've made right decision I hope so lol. And thank you so much for describing these schools. If you will know anything about Kingston and Westminster what will sound helpful please, tell me
    Hey! I just replied to your DM

But yeah, hertfordshire is my first choice because of the year abroad and beautiful student work. I also really like the student work from Bournemouth and Kingston!

I feel exactly the same! And that's no problem at all! It's really hard picking the right school.

I feel like I don't know that much about Kingston or Westminster, I applied to them because they're London based (I want that big city life haha) but unfortunatley they're not skills accredited. But every students needs are different.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Hey there,

If you're still deciding on which BA Animation course, you might wanna check us out

We are in London and next to the O2 Arena~

We have great industry links and we do live briefs and competitions that will improve your work in an industry standard. Not to mention our employability rate is pretty good

If you have some free time why don't you see it for yourself so you can talk to tutors and current students, Open day!

Hope we see you soon!
    Ahlia

ReputationRep:
    Hi, late question but why did you choose to pick Westminster?My choices are currentlyerts UniNorwich artsRavensbourneBournemouth Trying to decide whether Westminster would be worth going for an open day. As its not very known for animation.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pine-tree)
    Hi, late question but why did you choose to pick Westminster?My choices are currentlyerts UniNorwich artsRavensbourneBournemouth Trying to decide whether Westminster would be worth going for an open day. As its not very known for animation.
    Hi pine-tree,

Great to see we are on your list of potential unis! If you have any questions about the course just give us a shout

As for open days, if you have the time, I'd recommend going to as many as you can. Looking around the facilities, seeing current student work and talking to lecturers and ambassadors can really help you to make your decision.

Best of luck!

Thanks,
    Heather

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.