Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It looks like Student Loans Company will reject me for funding? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I wish to return to University at the age of 28. I was at University before, but "dropped out" before my first year was even up. I literally did a few months. I won't go into why, it's all in the past.

However, now that I wish to return....I will need to apply for funding. I could never, ever self-fund 9 and a half thousand a year for three years.

I have my heart dead-set on returning to Uni to study a course which is a subject I am so passionate about - and the likely prospect of being refused funding has, I will be candid here....reduced me to tears (yes, literally).

I have read lots of information which basically says it's very unlikely I'll receive funding if I've had it before OR even if I never did get funding but nevertheless have studied at degree level previously (which I did for only a matter of months....and so never achieved a degree).

Ten years on, I will be trying my chances to get funding again. What do people think?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what you've read, but it's wrong. If you only had one year year of funding previously you'll be funded for the whole of a new degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anxiety2017)
    I wish to return to University at the age of 28. I was at University before, but "dropped out" before my first year was even up. I literally did a few months. I won't go into why, it's all in the past.

However, now that I wish to return....I will need to apply for funding. I could never, ever self-fund 9 and a half thousand a year for three years.

I have my heart dead-set on returning to Uni to study a course which is a subject I am so passionate about - and the likely prospect of being refused funding has, I will be candid here....reduced me to tears (yes, literally).

I have read lots of information which basically says it's very unlikely I'll receive funding if I've had it before OR even if I never did get funding but nevertheless have studied at degree level previously (which I did for only a matter of months....and so never achieved a degree).

Ten years on, I will be trying my chances to get funding again. What do people think?
    There's no point sitting at home and getting more anxious. Phone up SLC and get the situation then try and progress from there.

ReputationRep:
    @Juno - I read that previous funding is most likely to end up in an application for funding being rejected. Read it on several sites (university ones, as it happens).

In a small, rare exception of cases they may approve the funding but only partial funding. However, as already said, most likely wouldn't fund me at all.

I did less than a year at University when I was there initially, as I say, I did not graduate because I left after only a few months into my course.

Your saying if I explain this to SLC it might be ok?

Many thanks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You've read about funding for a second degree, which means you completed the first one. You didn't complete yours so.it isn't a second degree and that doesn't apply.
    • Very Important Poster

My understanding is you simply started a degree an dropped out in the first year. Everyone gets a gift year where they are allowed to change their mind, you also dropped out for medical/ anxiety reasons if I recall correctly.

1. If you dropped out in year 1 , then you are still entitled to full funding for the length of a degree but you lose your gift year.
    2. If you dropped out in year 2 then your gift year is used, but you submit a ccompelling reasons claim based on anxiety and hopefully provide medical evidence i.e support from the uni and GP or counselor. If you have the ebidence then they can discount that year and you return to being fully funded for the lenth of your degree.

I see its scenario 1, which means you will be fine and you will get full funding.
    You need to get some CBT therapy to help you deal with your anxiety. You are making yourself cry and worry over a risk you arent facing. It must be very draining and it is needless.

Obviously 2. is irrelevant to your situation, but thats how it works.

YOU WILL BE OK. Please stop worrying.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You need to get some CBT therapy to help you deal with your anxiety. You are making yourself cry and worry over a risk you arent facing. It must be very draining and it is needless.
    I agree. It's not even making mountains of of mole hills, it's making mountains out of imaginary mole hills.

OP, you may have set your heart on going to uni but your head really isn't in the right place. If you go to uni like this then you'll not be able to focus because you'll worry about everything and nothing. You need to work hard at reducing your anxiety so that minor setbacks (and I use that word lightly because they're not even setbacks) don't become a huge problem.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Juno)
    I agree. It's not even making mountains of of mole hills, it's making mountains out of imaginary mole hills.

OP, you may have set your heart on going to uni but your head really isn't in the right place. If you go to uni like this then you'll not be able to focus because you'll worry about everything and nothing. You need to work hard at reducing your anxiety so that minor setbacks (and I use that word lightly because they're not even setbacks) don't become a huge problem.
    The OP has an anxiety issue and was worried at having lost her certificates and how that could prevent her from getting back to uni. Advice was given on speaking to the school then the exam boards and it was more a minor inconvenience plus a bit of money that was easily sorted with a few phone calls and a bit of information. It worries me the OP has been crying and stressing, which is down to the anxiety.

I did point out its imperative she gets her anxiety under control so she cna deal with uni stresses such as the pressures of workload, meeting new people and some of them not being nice, not making friends etc. Everyone needs a little robustness and shouldnt have their experience ruined by fear or worry. There are regular threads on TSR, where people have not been able to deal with things due to anxiety. Its a smart move and will make sure the OP can get the most out of uni and have a more enjoyable time if they can deal with and prevent any worrying spoiling their uni experience.

OP there is nothing to stop you going to uni, jsut a few task you need sorted. Please get help with the anxiety, so you can have a much happier Uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    @999tigger - I'm male, I know it's not stereotypically manly to cry, but there we have it.

I did not drop out due to anxiety but to other reasons I haven't stated.

I can cope with workload stress and all other things you've stated, believe me on that.

I'm anxious about my certificates and, mainly funding, because this is so important to me to go back.

Sure you can understand that. Will get in touch with SLC and once I know what is what, will report back here.

ReputationRep:
    What has already been said, about getting funding being okay since I did less than a year's study previously - the NUS states that, as a matter of fact, I won't be able to get funding for the whole duration of my new course this time around unless I previously dropped out of university for "compelling" personal reasons. Depends whether they think my reasons are compelling...and then if I do get approved for funding , it's partial funding only (NUS says its full course minus a year, so would only be funded for 2 years).

ReputationRep:
    What am I eligible for if I suspended my course because of other reasons?

If you didn’t complete your course for reasons other than compelling personal circumstances, the funding you can get for further study depends on where you get your funding:
    [*]England, Wales and Northern Ireland: you can get funding for the ordinary duration of your new course plus one year, but less any years of funded study you’ve undertaken already (partial years of previous study count as full years when calculating what you’re entitled to). For example, if you dropped out of your previous funded course after half a year, and your new course is three years long, you can apply for full funding for the whole three years of your new course (three years for the ordinary course duration, plus one year but minus a whole year for your previous study).

ReputationRep:
    According to this, unless my reasons for having studied for less than a year are "compelling", I will not be eligable for funding of the full 3 year course. What I get from this, is that I would only get funding for 2 years and would need to find my own way of funding the first year.

ReputationRep:
    anxiety2017 - post this on the Ask Student Finance forum:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

You'll get advice straight from the horse's mouth that way, from trained advisors from Student Finance England.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    According to this, unless my reasons for having studied for less than a year are "compelling", I will not be eligable for funding of the full 3 year course. What I get from this, is that I would only get funding for 2 years and would need to find my own way of funding the first year.
    Did you even attempt to read the bit you quoted? It quite clearly says length of course plus one year minus previous years taken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Did you even attempt to read the bit you quoted? It quite clearly says length of course plus one year minus previous years taken
    Yes, and it says that even if a person "drops out" of a degree course before having even completed a full year (as is the case with me; I only studied a few months before leaving) it will still be counted as having studied for a whole year (they give the example of dropping out after 6 months into the course still being classed as a whole full year).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it says that even if a person "drops out" of a degree course before having even completed a full year (as is the case with me; I only studied a few months before leaving) it will still be counted as having studied for a whole year (they give the example of dropping out after 6 months into the course still being classed as a whole full year).
    So we have basic maths. 3 +1 - 1 means you get funded for the whole degree.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody gets one grace year of SF funding, to allow for problems in your first year. As other contributors have said, your second attempt at uni will have Student Finance for all years.

The formula you quote is expressed as:

Length of new degree course (minus) Years of previous uni study (plus) One year = Years of remaining entitlement to Student Finance

That formula gives you 3-1+1=3 years of SF - your whole new degree.

I do agree that, with the greatest respect, you are having trouble assimilating information when under stress. It may be wise to address your anxiety further before restarting uni. If you have a second "false start"' that really would mean that a third attempt would not be fully funded.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.