Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What made you grow up or wisen up? Watch

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What events and realisations helped you grow up or wisen up? How did they affect your life or a particular aspect of it? How was the aspect of life that they affected beforehand? How did they change you as a person in general?

The events/realisations can be of any nature, whether it is related to school, work, family, relationships, money, behaviour, and so forth. Post it here if it helped you grow up or wisen up in any way.

Spoiler:
    Show

In my case, the events happened about two weeks ago. I almost got expelled from school due to my terrible attendance while my procrastination and poor time management made it so I had to do everything I had not done in four months in literally a few days.

It began when a kind classmate contacted me and showed genuine interest in helping me, which made me tear up; it was such a small gesture, yet it was more than half of the motive that helped me turn my school situation around. It moved me to see that a person I barely spoke with would even check on me. My personal tutor also called me and asked for my oldest sister (since I do not live with my parents) to show up at school on Thursday.

At that point, I knew I f***ed up. I could not go on like that anymore. No more missing school, no more 24/7 procrastination! I needed to get a grip. I had known that for months, but I could never bring myself to do it. Now, I could. That classmate and my imminent expulsion were probably what I needed to get back on track all along.

My first step was to change my sleep schedule. One of the main reasons why I had been absent for so long was my insomnia and tendency to be able to sleep only at ridiculous hours like 4 AM and 2 PM. With school in the morning, there is no way I could get to school on time with such a schedule. I manage to change it, albeit I struggled with that a lot.

Wednesday comes around. I had been limiting my sleep time and doing schoolwork for so long that I barely studied and was so tired I could not go to the first three lessons. I started crying; I thought I was over this. I ended up going to the fourth lesson and getting a few grades.

It is now Thursday. I prepare for school, revise, and get to school on time. I get more grades and turn in the three philosophy essays I wrote the night before, which are enough for me to pass this term. All is well, but now, my sister, personal tutor, and I have to go speak with the head teacher. My sister was expecting me to get expelled, but I thought otherwise since some of my teachers told me I would get grades on Friday and Monday (obviously, were I expelled, I could not take any grades after that day).

In an ironic twist of fate, that Thursday ended up being one of the best days I had had in a while! I did not get any grades at history (which is good since I was very unprepared), was told I could take the most important history test on Wednesday, turned in all the philosophy essays, got more grades in English, got all the grades I needed in Religious Studies, and did not get expelled. All went well.

To make everything better, I got a job on Friday and got more grades that I needed both on Friday and on Monday. This cycle is still continuing. I still have a bit of trouble with procrastination, but I fixed most of it, and I now sleep from late afternoon or evening until midnight or early morning (4-6 PM to 12-2 AM), which is not ideal, but it works since I have school from 7:30 AM/8:20 AM to 12:25 PM.

This bad experience helped me realise many things, and not just be aware of them, but actually do them. I also learnt that there is time for everything if you spend it wisely.

When the second term starts (the week after next week), I will be prepared to get all the grades I need and attend school everyday from the first lesson. I do not want to be in a situation like this ever again.

Lessons learnt: do not miss school too much and do not do everything at the last second. It will mess up your life later.

ReputationRep:
    #DeepThreadsLateAtNightTSR

Umm well starting Sixth Form in my brand-new suit gave me a new reason to hope for a better future (cliché, I know). After a sort-of underwhelming set of GCSE's (still decent, but not what I was hoping). I thought I had the opportunity to put my life back on track and make-up for what was a waste of potential.

I have since repeated my mistakes (I never learn ) But the saying about kids coming back to Sixth Form after GCSE's more mature really rang ture for me. I definitely felt that within myself and felt like I was finally growing up (psychologically, if not in height).

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for something to.

ReputationRep:
    I never wanted to go to university, I just wasn't interested, and hadn't found my niche yet. So, after I got absolutely abysmal results in my last year of school, I wasn't too surprised and frankly didn't care. I thought to myself "F**k it, I'll just get a job, everything will work out".

So I continued with my supermarket job in Tesco that I had started just before leaving school - I absolutely hated it. It was mind numbingly boring, and I could literally feel my brain gradually turning into mush as I completed shift after shift.

One day (1 year later), after serving a particularly nasty customer, I had a realisation: I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't work in a dead-end, low-paid, job with absolutely no job satisfaction. I'd decided that, as I'd previously toyed with the idea of joining the police, I'd perhaps make it a reality. I went to one of the recruitment events and discovered that in order to join the service, I'd have to have done some community based work to put on my application.

A couple of days after the event I, by chance, bumped into my old guidance teacher from school whilst at work. I explained to him my plans for the future, and the fact that I needed to find appropriate community work. He informed me that one of the local primary schools was really keen to have pupils/ex-pupils from my old secondary help out in classes. I was a bit wary at first, I hadn't really had to supervise/look after/support younger children before (although I do have younger siblings). He offered to contact the school for me, I agreed, and the next day I was sent an email by the head teacher of the school asking about my availability.

On my first day, I walked into the school and felt IMMEDIATELY out of my depth. Little kids just charging about, I managed to bang into a wall and knock down a perspex glass picture and it smashed onto the floor - A fantastic start to this new venture. At that point the head teacher came out, I made my apologies (he didn't seem very fussed, in fact was so genuinely nice), and he led me to a classroom where I was to support P2 pupils with their English. I walked in and it literally felt as if I had a stone in my stomach, was so bloody nervous! The teacher was so lovely as well, she told me what she'd like me to do, and left me to it with a small little group of kids. I had to first read a story to them (one I'd actually had to read in primary school as well!), and then I had to help them answer a series of questions on a worksheet that the teacher provided about what they'd just read.

I went home that day feeling that I'd achieved something, I finally felt satisfied with something that I'd done. I immediately emailed the school when I got home, and asked if I could do more hours - and they readily agreed - so I began working there twice a week. Gradually, I began getting more responsibilities, helping individual pupils with dyslexia with their reading/grammar, etc. After a month or so of doing this, I decided that primary teaching was perhaps something I'd enjoy doing, so I began to look at the entry requirements. All of the universities were requiring grades that I hadn't quite attained, so I began to apply to different colleges, and soon I started studying two additional SQA Highers (I suppose this is the closest thing to a Scottish equivalent of A-Levels) and a National 5 (GCSE) in Maths. I was having to pay for the latter course myself, and whilst I lived at home, I had other bills to pay for (car, gym, sesh, etc) so I decided that I'd have to continue working at Tesco whilst at college. This unfortunately meant that I had to cut down on my hours at the school.

So this year, I've applied to study primary teaching at 5 uni's, and so far had an invite to interview from Dundee - It's early days though, and I'm hoping that I'll get some offers soon. I suppose my 'story' (how cringy) proves that not everyone finds their niche whilst at school, and it's never to late to decide what you want to do with life - Never feel rushed into doing anything.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainyBengali)
    #DeepThreadsLateAtNightTSR

Umm well starting Sixth Form in my brand-new suit gave me a new reason to hope for a better future (cliché, I know). After a sort-of underwhelming set of GCSE's (still decent, but not what I was hoping). I thought I had the opportunity to put my life back on track and make-up for what was a waste of potential.

I have since repeated my mistakes (I never learn ) But the saying about kids coming back to Sixth Form after GCSE's more mature really rang ture for me. I definitely felt that within myself and felt like I was finally growing up (psychologically, if not in height).
    It is 4:32 AM here and I woke up at 1:42 AM, it is morning for me :rofl:

Aww, I feel you! I :console: too made some stupid mistakes at GCSE that I repeated in my AS year, but now I am in twelfth grade (A2) and I can finally say I learnt my lesson :laugh:

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I'm still waiting for something to.
    Many people still do, it is alright :hugs:

(Original post by Merfie)
    x
    Congratulations! :rave: I am happy you found something you enjoy doing Good luck with university and with becoming a teacher! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    My mum being diagnosed with cancer and subsequently passing away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    :eek:

I hope this gif will help you

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    :eek:

I hope this gif will help you

Spoiler:
    Show

Lmao. That gif makes everything okay.

ReputationRep:
    The innumerable mistakes I've made. It hurts physically to remember all the stupid things I've done. I cringe at how much I've hurt other people (mainly my parents but also my friends) and myself with my retarded choices.

In some sense, I will never grow up though. It's a sign of maturity, I'm told, to accept "reality". Meaning, be content with mediocrity 'cos that's life. Nooope.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I came out wise and grown up

I grow a little younger every day
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't grown up, I'm 5'3 :getmecoat:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    Here's a hug :console:

If it helps, my aunt died of breast cancer, so you are not alone :hugs:

(Original post by Craghyrax)

I used to think that too.

Used to.

(Original post by UWS)
    I still haven't grown up, I'm 5'3 :getmecoat:
    I am taller than you. It is okay, though, your adorable height is part of your charm :awesome:

What about wisening up, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)

Were you born with a bush at birth?

ReputationRep:
    Death.

ReputationRep:
    The day I realised that my self-worth was not based upon my grades and educational record.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Having to care for my papa who was (and still is on) daily dialysis and the transplant list. I have to make sure daily that he is well, his machine works and that he has enough food and his bills are paid etc. I don't mind doing it especially after everything he's done for me in life but the emotional toll of dealing with someone you love being so ill and not being able to help them, especially since I wasn't a match to become a live donor for him, really takes its toll. He's doing OK now thankfully but even a cold can be dangerous for him

I feel like I'm still a child at heart and me being the only grandchild and only kid, my gran isn't ready to let me go yet and still buys me Disney stuff and gives me pocket money at 24 :teehee: but the situation with my papa made me grow up and realise that time is precious and made me realise not to take life and good health for granted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    The day I realised that my self-worth was not based upon my grades and educational record.
    This is so important. It took me years to realise I was so much more than what I achieved in school or at university. I wish everyone doing GCSE's or A Levels or a degree could know this.

Also experiencing mental illness for years and now knowing I'm much stronger as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Got beaten half to death by two bouncers in a place where there was no CCTV, I think they wanted to kill me. Realised then how dangerous men are and that I need to be more wary and take more measures to ensure my survival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    It is 4:32 AM here and I woke up at 1:42 AM, it is morning for me :rofl:
    Congratulations! :rave: I am happy you found something you enjoy doing Good luck with university and with becoming a teacher! :hugs:
    Thanks so much! Best of luck on whatever you decide to do!!

ReputationRep:
    Harsh reality

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.