Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What made you grow up or wisen up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    This is so important. It took me years to realise I was so much more than what I achieved in school or at university. I wish everyone doing GCSE's or A Levels or a degree could know this.

Also experiencing mental illness for years and now knowing I'm much stronger as a result.
    Same here, heart-break and eventually depression. Wish I knew all that I do now back when I was 16! Would've saved me the 3 years lost and never coming back.

ReputationRep:
    Good on you, it takes a lot to turn your life around rather than letting yourself stay on the path that you were on.

I found that working in a care home for 3 months before I started uni was the main thing that made me mature. I cared for people with dementia who were aggressive and violent, those who were just confused, as well as people who were dying. Interacting with their family members was also a big part of it, and also very difficult at times. It meant that I didn't really change at all after being at uni, which I think is a major point for a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    I never wanted to go to university, I just wasn't interested, and hadn't found my niche yet. So, after I got absolutely abysmal results in my last year of school, I wasn't too surprised and frankly didn't care. I thought to myself "F**k it, I'll just get a job, everything will work out".

So I continued with my supermarket job in Tesco that I had started just before leaving school - I absolutely hated it. It was mind numbingly boring, and I could literally feel my brain gradually turning into mush as I completed shift after shift.

One day (1 year later), after serving a particularly nasty customer, I had a realisation: I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't work in a dead-end, low-paid, job with absolutely no job satisfaction. I'd decided that, as I'd previously toyed with the idea of joining the police, I'd perhaps make it a reality. I went to one of the recruitment events and discovered that in order to join the service, I'd have to have done some community based work to put on my application.

A couple of days after the event I, by chance, bumped into my old guidance teacher from school whilst at work. I explained to him my plans for the future, and the fact that I needed to find appropriate community work. He informed me that one of the local primary schools was really keen to have pupils/ex-pupils from my old secondary help out in classes. I was a bit wary at first, I hadn't really had to supervise/look after/support younger children before (although I do have younger siblings). He offered to contact the school for me, I agreed, and the next day I was sent an email by the head teacher of the school asking about my availability.

On my first day, I walked into the school and felt IMMEDIATELY out of my depth. Little kids just charging about, I managed to bang into a wall and knock down a perspex glass picture and it smashed onto the floor - A fantastic start to this new venture. At that point the head teacher came out, I made my apologies (he didn't seem very fussed, in fact was so genuinely nice), and he led me to a classroom where I was to support P2 pupils with their English. I walked in and it literally felt as if I had a stone in my stomach, was so bloody nervous! The teacher was so lovely as well, she told me what she'd like me to do, and left me to it with a small little group of kids. I had to first read a story to them (one I'd actually had to read in primary school as well!), and then I had to help them answer a series of questions on a worksheet that the teacher provided about what they'd just read.

I went home that day feeling that I'd achieved something, I finally felt satisfied with something that I'd done. I immediately emailed the school when I got home, and asked if I could do more hours - and they readily agreed - so I began working there twice a week. Gradually, I began getting more responsibilities, helping individual pupils with dyslexia with their reading/grammar, etc. After a month or so of doing this, I decided that primary teaching was perhaps something I'd enjoy doing, so I began to look at the entry requirements. All of the universities were requiring grades that I hadn't quite attained, so I began to apply to different colleges, and soon I started studying two additional SQA Highers (I suppose this is the closest thing to a Scottish equivalent of A-Levels) and a National 5 (GCSE) in Maths. I was having to pay for the latter course myself, and whilst I lived at home, I had other bills to pay for (car, gym, sesh, etc) so I decided that I'd have to continue working at Tesco whilst at college. This unfortunately meant that I had to cut down on my hours at the school.

So this year, I've applied to study primary teaching at 5 uni's, and so far had an invite to interview from Dundee - It's early days though, and I'm hoping that I'll get some offers soon. I suppose my 'story' (how cringy) proves that not everyone finds their niche whilst at school, and it's never to late to decide what you want to do with life - Never feel rushed into doing anything.
    I genuinely found this really inspirational and reassuring to read. Great stuff
    Hope this all works out well for you.

ReputationRep:
    When Cedric died in the 4th Harry Potter film thats when I knew **** was real.

ReputationRep:
    falling pregnant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    I genuinely found this really inspirational and reassuring to read. Great stuff
    Hope this all works out well for you.
    I'm so glad! Thank you very much - good luck to yourself and your future endeavours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merfie)
    I'm so glad! Thank you very much - good luck to yourself and your future endeavours!
    PRSOM
    Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    what made me what? lol

still aint done that yet

ReputationRep:
    idk any specific events that made me wisen up more I just ended up having multiple minor mental breakdowns over slow burning problems until I decided that I couldn't be arsed having them anymore.

I'm still low key on the brink of going off my nut at any moment and I'm definitely not grown up but improvements are happening. It's a work in progress

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.