The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

What can i study with Open University to get into marketing

I want to study with open university I plan on doing a certHE, so that I can use as a pathway into entering a conventional brick uni I hope to get into marketing and public relations field one day. I hope to study at MMU or Salford uni both accept open uni students as someone I know has done so, I'm planning on doing it in Information and communication when I searched marketing on their website its what came up so it could cover the subject, just wanted to know is it possible to study IT and then apply for uni to study Marketing even if that means doing foundation year?, if that isn't possible I'm I able to choose modules that cover marketing in an ICT degree?

please leave some advice thanks
First, contact the OU to see what they advise. Also contact MMU and Salford and see what they think. Between these options you should be able to work out what you need to do to get where you want to get.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by gatsby19
I want to study with open university I plan on doing a certHE, so that I can use as a pathway into entering a conventional brick uni I hope to get into marketing and public relations field one day. I hope to study at MMU or Salford uni both accept open uni students as someone I know has done so, I'm planning on doing it in Information and communication when I searched marketing on their website its what came up so it could cover the subject, just wanted to know is it possible to study IT and then apply for uni to study Marketing even if that means doing foundation year?, if that isn't possible I'm I able to choose modules that cover marketing in an ICT degree?

Talk to MMU and Salford, they will be able to advise. Then talk to the OU about the modules they might recommend to fir the requirements.

Be aware that you can only study with the OU for one academic year before you start eating into your finance entitlements for your course at MMU or Salford. So you will need to study your Cert HE full time from October-June for entry into your course in September 2018.
Reply 3
Original post by gatsby19

An alternative route may be via the Chartered Institute of Marketing
http://www.cim.co.uk/qualifications/foundation-certificate-in-marketing/
You can then follow that up with the full Certificate and then Diploma.

Or if you prefer PR https://www.cipr.co.uk/content/qualifications/foundation-award

Both of these put you on an industry recognised path - but afaik are not a recognised *academic* qualification.
Reply 4
My course starts in February doing it full time I hope to complete It by October will this be okay so in 8 months ??

Original post by SuperCat007
Talk to MMU and Salford, they will be able to advise. Then talk to the OU about the modules they might recommend to fir the requirements.

Be aware that you can only study with the OU for one academic year before you start eating into your finance entitlements for your course at MMU or Salford. So you will need to study your Cert HE full time from October-June for entry into your course in September 2018.
Original post by MGatsby
My course starts in February doing it full time I hope to complete It by October will this be okay so in 8 months ??

That should only cover 1 academic year, as long as you don't continue to study with the OU past October. However, are you going to get all 120 credits in between now and October? Congrats if you are, that's rare.

Also be aware if you're wanting to use this as entry into a course which also starts in this September/October that you won't have your results until after you start your new course, so you will need to speak to admission tutors on your new course in advance about whether this will be acceptable or not.
Reply 6
I hope so I'm not naive u understand that it will be a hard task to complete but I think I can do it I've wasted too much time I could've been in second year university by now and I was being lazy. I intend to complete it by then but that being said am also trying to hear back from the admissions office to see if 60-90 credits could qualify me into first year I've heard some people have been accepted
That should only cover 1 academic year, as long as you don't continue to study with the OU past October. However, are you going to get all 120 credits in between now and October? Congrats if you are, that's rare.

Also be aware if you're wanting to use this as entry into a course which also starts in this September/October that you won't have your results until after you start your new course, so you will need to speak to admission tutors on your new course in advance about whether this will be acceptable or not.
Original post by MGatsby
I hope so I'm not naive u understand that it will be a hard task to complete but I think I can do it I've wasted too much time I could've been in second year university by now and I was being lazy. I intend to complete it by then but that being said am also trying to hear back from the admissions office to see if 60-90 credits could qualify me into first year I've heard some people have been accepted

I don't mean that you are naive, I mean that the OU don't often have enough credits available to study in February to make up a whole year's worth of study. I'm doing 90 credits at the moment and working full time, it is doable.
Reply 8
I know you didn't mean that lol all I'm saying is I understand that it's going to be hard and I ain't unrealistic about it. Are you planning on enrolling to a conventional university?
I don't mean that you are naive, I mean that the OU don't often have enough credits available to study in February to make up a whole year's worth of study. I'm doing 90 credits at the moment and working full time, it is doable.
Original post by MGatsby
I know you didn't mean that lol all I'm saying is I understand that it's going to be hard and I ain't unrealistic about it. Are you planning on enrolling to a conventional university?

No. I can't get the funding for full time because of my OU study so I have to finish my degree with the OU.

Quick Reply

Latest