Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Struggle with making appointments watch

Announcements

I feel ok with my health but I wish to make regular check ups for my general health as well as gynaecological health. Im 20 and apparently I am "too young" for any of specific health check ups and it drives me crazy! How do I get a genuine check ups on NHS I just wanna know what is up with my own body!!!

ReputationRep:
    NHS doesn't offer these "full health MOTs" or gyn screening before 25. Not sure if there is any way you can access these services on the NHS because they are in most cases unnecessary if your health is good and you have no family history of certain diseases. There's already a huge burden on the NHS and the system is bursting it's seams.

If you are seriously concerned about getting certain checks, then going private is an option. You can certainly get a full health checkup and a detailed report afterwards with private healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's the same in other areas, but I know the GPs here won't see you for an asymptomatic "general check-up" unless you've not seen them at all in the last 3 years.

As far as the gynae stuff goes, maybe pop into your local GUM walk-in clinic and ask what sorts of services they can offer? Some just do STI checks, others might do more... But again what you'll get offered on the NHS will depend on if you've actually had any cause for concern other than "just in case" concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything in particular that you are worried about? At the age of 20 with no symptoms the chances of there being any thing wrong would be very small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I feel ok with my health but I wish to make regular check ups for my general health as well as gynaecological health. Im 20 and apparently I am "too young" for any of specific health check ups and it drives me crazy! How do I get a genuine check ups on NHS I just wanna know what is up with my own body!!!
    The NHS has limited resources and has to direct these in a way that will give the greatest benefit. Screening for the 'worried well' such as you are suggesting is not making the best use of these resources and is unreasonable.

If you want elective screening at this point, you will have to pay for it via private healthcare.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.