Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in my 2nd year of study (of 3) and have recently had to suspend my studies due to health issues that prevented me for properly attending university from the mid to end of october all the way through til the Christmas break in December, as you could imagine, this put me really behind in my work and studies so the best course of action seemed to be to suspend til next year, which both my student advisor and head of department advised me to do.

I suspended on Dec 15th, went in and filled in a form to confirm my suspension and hand in evidence (I had been in constant communications with both my head of department and student advisor regarding my illness along with providing evidence from my regular doctor visits), but I have still received my maintenance loan and tuition has been paid (Jan 2017). I don't know if my university has just not relayed the information or if it was my responsibility to inform student finance but my head of department made it seem like everything that needed doing was done and I'd be contacted in the summer to continue.

So now where do I stand and where do i got from here, I am not really in a good place financially but I assume both the loans should be repayed asap, is there any support available for going forward from here financially (clearing rent and such) and finally how does this affect next year of studies.

Sorry if a similar question has been asked and for the wall of text but any help will be appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LewisSmith230)
    I am currently in my 2nd year of study (of 3) and have recently had to suspend my studies due to health issues that prevented me for properly attending university from the mid to end of october all the way through til the Christmas break in December, as you could imagine, this put me really behind in my work and studies so the best course of action seemed to be to suspend til next year, which both my student advisor and head of department advised me to do.

I suspended on Dec 15th, went in and filled in a form to confirm my suspension and hand in evidence (I had been in constant communications with both my head of department and student advisor regarding my illness along with providing evidence from my regular doctor visits), but I have still received my maintenance loan and tuition has been paid (Jan 2017). I don't know if my university has just not relayed the information or if it was my responsibility to inform student finance but my head of department made it seem like everything that needed doing was done and I'd be contacted in the summer to continue.

So now where do I stand and where do i got from here, I am not really in a good place financially but I assume both the loans should be repayed asap, is there any support available for going forward from here financially (clearing rent and such) and finally how does this affect next year of studies.

Sorry if a similar question has been asked and for the wall of text but any help will be appreciated.
    What will need to be repayed asap will depend on how and what your university have notified SLC. In cases of ill health a university can request that funding is maintained for 60 days after the date of withdrawal - and sometimes universities take a while to notify SLC of withdrawals.

I'd suggest ringing up your student records/registry team to check that your suspension has been received by them and what and when they notified SLC.

Once SLC get the details they should be in touch to explain how much any overpayment they will be asking for back (and how to arrange a repayment plan).

It would also be worth contacting your student support/student services team to ask about hardship funding for people in your situation.

For next year you shouldn't have any problems - everyone is granted a "gift" year of extra funding, and this can even be added to if your reason for suspending is down to Compelling Personal Reasons (if you apply for CPR then you will need to provide evidence - eg doctors letters etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    What will need to be repayed asap will depend on how and what your university have notified SLC. In cases of ill health a university can request that funding is maintained for 60 days after the date of withdrawal - and sometimes universities take a while to notify SLC of withdrawals.

I'd suggest ringing up your student records/registry team to check that your suspension has been received by them and what and when they notified SLC.

Once SLC get the details they should be in touch to explain how much any overpayment they will be asking for back (and how to arrange a repayment plan).

It would also be worth contacting your student support/student services team to ask about hardship funding for people in your situation.

For next year you shouldn't have any problems - everyone is granted a "gift" year of extra funding, and this can even be added to if your reason for suspending is down to Compelling Personal Reasons (if you apply for CPR then you will need to provide evidence - eg doctors letters etc).
    Thanks for all your help, a lot of useful information here, helped but my mind at ease a little, I will be sure to contact student records and continue from there, again, thanks for the help.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.