Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Size Dumbbell to Go Up To Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I’m new to the forums here so sorry for any mistakes etc.

Basically I have been lifting 5Kg Dumbbells for the last two weeks as it is all I have from the last time I worked out months ago.

I have to do 4 Sets of 20 Reps for it to become hard and even at that point it’s just boring more than difficult as I could keep going.

I am wanting to invest some money into a new set of heavier dumbbells but how heavy should I go? I have a set of Adjustable but they are too big for in the house as the bar seems really long for a dumbbell. So one option is to get another set of Adjustable that are slimmer and easier to use inside. Or I find a weight I want and buy the Rubber Hex ones as I like these for exercise I do on my back for my chest.

I know people will tell me to get to the Gym but I don't want to go to the Gym yet as I’m unsure how serious I am with all this. I just want to tone a little more for now and get bigger arms along with a more tones body that I do other exercises for atm.

So going from 5Kg what should I go up to... I tried a 7.5Kg on my other adjustable (the long ones, not a barbell btw) and I did 12 Reps strait away with no issue. The next amount I can get is 10Kg on the dumbbells which I think it too heavy more me atm as I know the 8th rep should be a struggle when starting to build muscle on a heavier dumbbell.

I found an 8Kg dumbbell of my friends but only one and it was still possible to do 12 reps with but was harder but I still complete it.

Now I either get an 8Kg set of Hex Rubber ones or so I go heavier? Or I look for a set of adjustable where I can make 8Kg on them and 7.5Kg.

What do you guys think I should go for? I can try some 10Kg and see how many reps I can do...

How much would you usually increase the weight of the dumbbells when 12-15 reps gets easier?

Thanks,

Harvey

ReputationRep:
    Any help would be appreciated
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harveyl12)
    Any help would be appreciated
    Hey man, I'd throw a curve ball in there. If I were you I'd invest in a pull up bar, which can be attached to most door frames. With that you can follow a calisthenics workout plan (bodyweight workout) and will build and tone your arms as well as the best of your body.

It's not always about the bicep curls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalclash)
    Hey man, I'd throw a curve ball in there. If I were you I'd invest in a pull up bar, which can be attached to most door frames. With that you can follow a calisthenics workout plan (bodyweight workout) and will build and tone your arms as well as the best of your body.

It's not always about the bicep curls.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

i do have a pull up bar, i do also like doing weights though, just need help on what size.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

i do have a pull up bar, i do also like doing weights though, just need help on what size.
    Well surely you want to invest in more weight so you can do Shoulder presses, chest press, Goblet squats, stiff leg deadlifts, calf raises etc.

I'd suggest the York 10kg DB sets (weight per DB) and the buy 4 x 5kg plates from york for the 1" bar. That gives you 20kg per DB and it's adjustable as the 10kg set comes with 4 x 2.5kg, 4 x 1.25kg and 4 x 0.5kg little micro plates.

That would get you on some kind of routine and that hopefully would make you think you're serious about this and therefore will be keen to join a gym and make it part of your life.
    That's what i did and although a member of a gym i did buy more weight and my DBs go to like just shy of 50kg each now so i can always get some training in

Read the FAQ if you have other questions re nutrition and if you do decide to join a gym then read about the routines suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Well surely you want to invest in more weight so you can do Shoulder presses, chest press, Goblet squats, stiff leg deadlifts, calf raises etc.

I'd suggest the York 10kg DB sets (weight per DB) and the buy 4 x 5kg plates from york for the 1" bar. That gives you 20kg per DB and it's adjustable as the 10kg set comes with 4 x 2.5kg, 4 x 1.25kg and 4 x 0.5kg little micro plates.

That would get you on some kind of routine and that hopefully would make you think you're serious about this and therefore will be keen to join a gym and make it part of your life.
    That's what i did and although a member of a gym i did buy more weight and my DBs go to like just shy of 50kg each now so i can always get some training in

Read the FAQ if you have other questions re nutrition and if you do decide to join a gym then read about the routines suggested
    yeah maybe getting adjustable will be my best bet so i can do them at home until i want to start doing more that may require a gym, i guess it more beneficial for my money if i by an adjustable set that i can add onto over time.

Would you say 4 Sets of 8-12 Reps of some different exercises is a good starting point to gain some muscle?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    yeah maybe getting adjustable will be my best bet so i can do them at home until i want to start doing more that may require a gym, i guess it more beneficial for my money if i by an adjustable set that i can add onto over time.

Would you say 4 Sets of 8-12 Reps of some different exercises is a good starting point to gain some muscle?
    Get adjustable 100%. Fixed would be awful as too big a jump and way too much money

I eventually bought a longer handle pair so i could fit more weight on but as i said, just buy another 4 x 5kg set of plates each time you need more weight as you already have the micro plates if you buy the 10 kg York DB set.

I'd go 3 sets but yeah, 8-12 reps is good.

At the end of the day to see real progress you will need to touch a barbell but i understand your hesitation so just get in a routine. Calf raises, goblet squats, stiff leg deadlifts. Then pull ups, shoulder press, chest press, rows, rear delt flys, lat raises and Bi and Tri is decent enough

ReputationRep:
    Get adjustable for what you are doing fixed would be a huge waste of money

ReputationRep:
    Man, you whack. You might as well just join a gym. You can get a gym membership for as little as £12 a month, and it doesn't matter if youre serious about it or not. You wont become serious about it as you won't notice any gains whatsoever. It is possible to gain muscle at home, but you need a pretty decent and well established home gym, with a rack atleast not just a couple dumbbells.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.