Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

So I'm doing a tutorial and I can't for the life of me remember how to do this sort of question.

For the first part, I know that the Br2 starts as aqueous as that's what it is under standard conditions, and needs to be a gas - so the enthalpy change of vapourisation is needed, but I'm not too sure what else. It seems really simple but I just can't seem to remember at all so any help would be massively helpful
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    Hiya,

So I'm doing a tutorial and I can't for the life of me remember how to do this sort of question.

For the first part, I know that the Br2 starts as aqueous as that's what it is under standard conditions, and needs to be a gas - so the enthalpy change of vapourisation is needed, but I'm not too sure what else. It seems really simple but I just can't seem to remember at all so any help would be massively helpful
    You need data!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    You need data!
    That's exactly what I thought, but that's all that is given for that question! Although for the first question it said we were expected to look up additional thermochemical data, this probably is the same :hmmmm:

The only part I really remember is using Born-Haber cycles at A level but that requires so much data
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    That's exactly what I thought, but that's all that is given for that question! Although for the first question it said we were expected to look up additional thermochemical data, this probably is the same :hmmmm:

The only part I really remember is using Born-Haber cycles at A level but that requires so much data
    Yes, yo need to look up the data.

For the first question, bond enthalpy terms and for the second question formation enthalpy values.

To use them check out this interactive tutorial on Hess law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.